1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews 13

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
Happy Owner
By Billybob on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought this vehicle with 11,000 miles on and now have 105,000 on it and still great car. Replaced A.C.compressor bracket and water pump. Evarything else was normal maintainence. Goes places in the snow other 4WD don't.

Great Ride!
By 1st Time Jeep Owner on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My Jeep has done everything I've asked of it with only insignificant problems. Was skeptical of Jeep quality at first, and have only driven GM cars in the past. Now a big fan of the Gr. Chreokee. I've replaced the stab. bar and tire rods at 90K and water pump at 105K. Nothing else has gone wrong and I've driven this car long, fast and hard. And the heated seats in cold MI weather are great!

Take care of your vehicle
By ORJeeper on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I've been a Jeep person for 25 years. I've owned nearly every model at one time or another and there are few vehicles which can come close to the craftsmanship these vehicles are built with. I am religious when it comes to maintaining my rigs (especially the CJ) and because of that, they last far longer than the same vehicle in "average Joe's" hands. Most negative comments are from people who do nothing more than gas and go and expect the car to last forever. It just doesn't happen. Treat this vehicle right and it'll take you anywhere you want to go.

My Jeep
By smesick on 07/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had only one problem in the 3 1/2 years I've owned this vehicle. That was the water pump. I've put over 50,000 miles on it since I bought it used. All in all I love my Jeep.

Wouldn't buy another Jeep!
By GRWEDM on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

Repeated, repeated, repeated problems with the A/C...have replaced virtually every part at least once. Interior door panels began peeling off almost immediately after I bought it. The radio never worked even after being "repaired" twice by the dealer. Jeep service at several locations is terrible. Rear wiper quit working within a year of purchase. And on..and on..and on..

NOT A SMART PURCHASE
By Brianj on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've now owned my '96 Limited Grand for about 3 full years.... that's plenty for me. I'm in the process of selling the piece right now. The reasons for the sale are endless but basically, the transmission is continually "failing" by shifting hard or not at all, even after repeated "Transmission Flushes". The brakes have gone out twice, both axle's have cracked from simple highway commuting, the CV Boots have cracked repetitively, the interior "integrity" is marginal at best with cracking plastic pieces, sticky/jammed buttons, chinsey fake wood paneling that's falling apart.... AAAHHHHH!!!!!! If it's not one thing, it's another with this Jeep...

Never Again!
By Dee on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV

I will never buy another Jeep. We bought it used with only 15,000 miles on it. We have put at least $4,000 into fixing the A/C over the last 3 years. The switches have never worked consistently. One of the switches went out, at the same time the A/C went out, so all the windows were stuck OPEN for 2 weeks until the part came in. There have been other problems. It seems like we have a repair at least once every 3-4 months. I'll be glad when this piece of junk is OUT of my garage.

DECENT VEHICLE
By Dan P on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall, a good SUV. Very little trouble until now. Recently replaced the water pump, fuel pump, and Battery. This is it's third Battery. I can't complain though, I see this as normal wear and tear items for a vehicle with 175k. The only complaints I have is with the door panels. They started to come apart at 100k. All 4 panels will run you around $600.00, and you install. Exhaust header is also a problem. It cracks and develops a leak. There are aftermarket headers available. I found Gibson headers to be the most desirable. These are direct replacement, and bolt right in. All in all, I like my Grand.

Worthless
By Jenz on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I thought I was buying a reliable rough and tough vehicle. I was sorely wrong. I bought it with 50k miles on it. At 68k the transmission went out, radiator cracked and brakes went out. The warranty co. did not pay because they said this was normal wear and tear on jeep cherokees. I am at 70k and my water pump, fan clutch and idle clutch just went out. In less than a year I have spent $3000 in repairs. I have a Ford Aerostar that has over 100k miles on it and have never had a problem with anything. I will never buy a Chrysler product again! Dont waste your money on this piece of junk!!!!!

Bring it on
By JSW on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has been problem free. I always service when recommend and change the oil every 3,000 - 4,000 miles. Like any vehicle, if you are good to it, it will be good to you. I have definitely received my moneys worth and will get a good price when I go to sell.