Used 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:

keep your money
By kds2

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I saw this vehicle and it looked like a good car. Well, I could not have been more wrong. At 90k the transmission needed a full rebuild. At 95k the 4x4 went out along with the exhaust needing replaced. Keep in mind this Jeep never went off road. We only drove it when there was snow in the ground. Shortly thereafter both axles needed replacing. By this point we had had enough. We sold it for $4000 under valuation just to get rid of the thing. Buying that thing was the biggest mistake we have made to date. It just made me realize how much I missed my Nissan Pathfinder. If I were you I would pay a bit more for the Pathfinder ... I think you will be happier in the long run.

Favorite Features

The tires are fairly inexpensive, and the tow hooks came in pretty handy (more so than I would like to admit). The a/c worked great. The on board compass was helpful at times. The premium stereo wasnít too shabby either. Sadly, the bad outweighs the good.

Suggested Improvements

Make the Jeep reliable! The tranny is most questionable. Itís pretty squirrelly on the highway at high speed. The clear coat should last longer than 100k. The axles should last more than 95k miles! Overall itís just a bad choice.

Love My Jeep
By Love My Jeep

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

I have 118+K miles on my Jeep and the only thing that has gone wrong is the water pump. During last year's snow storm in Kentucky, I pulled out two 18 wheelers and 23 other cars and trucks. It's like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going, and going. I'm debating whether to keep it for another three or four years or trade it in on a newer model.

Favorite Features

Its power. It'll climb a mountain or cross a river.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage.

'96 Limited 4WD V8 - 153,000 miles
By Trevor

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought used in '97 with about 10,000 miles. 143,000 miles and many road trips later, I have had virtually no problems. Other than routine maintenance, I've only done the front CV boots and an A/C recharge. This is the best car I have ever owned and I would definitely buy another. My only complaints are the gas mileage (14-15 city, 18-20 hwy), heated seats quit working last year ($1,000 to repair...don't need 'em that bad!), and some of my buttons on the radio don't work unless you press them really hard. Overall very happy with my Jeep throughout the years.

Favorite Features

Radio controls on steering wheel, auto dim mirrors, vehicle information screen, overhead console computer.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats should last longer, better gas mileage, a few rattles I don't care for.

Rock solid reliabilty
By JPM

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had it for 5 years now and I'm up to 121K and it still runs great. Bought it with 48K on it. It has been extremely reliable. Replaced water pump at 100K and starter at 115K Put CV boots on @ 120K (BTW-that's pretty normal wear). Besides that, Only reg. maint. items required (brakes and oil). V8 has plenty of power; I get 15-16 back and forth to work and about 19 mpg on the highway. Not bad for a 4000lb SUV. It handles great for an SUV-much better than my friend's Explorer. Hope to get 200k out of it before I buy another.

Favorite Features

Infiniti sound, V8 power, handling, seat comfort, roomy. No thinking- full time 4wd.

Suggested Improvements

Noise control-could be a little quieter.

96 Grand Cherokee Laredo
By J C Golden

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr SUV 4WD

Very good vehicle with the 5.2L engine and Quadra-Trac full-time 4WD. ABS worked well on snow and ice. One annoying problem with the auxilliary transmission oil cooler lines located near the front bumper--they leak and it's a $200 fix to repair them when they do.

Favorite Features

Excellent climbing power.