2013 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: Car great, Han Kook tires not

2013 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

GLS Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Car great, Han Kook tires not so great.
By jeff1235 on

2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I had a 2007 for 5 yrs until I got my 2013. Other than 3 radios put in, and at year 5 I did have some minor problems such as a back door handle broke internally and problems rolling up a back window. However the real problem was with the Han Kook tires. 3 of my 4 original tires got flats, one literally from what could only be called a large splinter. After 2.5 years I ended up replacing all 4 tires. Fast fwd to 2013. My nitro filled tires. I had my car 6 months. I notice the tire light go on. Sure enough I had a leak. I took it in for an oil change, looked at and told me I needed a new tire! The leak was too high to patch. All they had in stock Han Kooks. Han Suck! Loud on highway, tires?

Favorite Features

I like how it looks. After 1 year, I am averaging about 30 in the city, and near 40 on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

It's kind of loud on the highway, but that may be the poor quality Han Koock tires. I think higher quality factory tires would be a real improvement. They aren't very good in the snow either. I've learned to slow way down when the roads are slippery.
By whatfuture
on 02/08/14 10:21 AM (PST)

Hancook tires have lousy reported reviews. They slip in 1" of snow. The car sways on the highway (no wind and often no cars on my route). Consumers are consistent about their rating. I wouldn't touch them again (they're on mine). My concern is people reporting cupping. So, it's possible that any other tire will do the same thing. Nitrogen is a gimmick. It's hard to find and more expensive. If you check your tires, you have absolutely no need for nitrogen. You can fill your tires with air. After filling all tires evenly prior to driving it 600 mi. RT, when I got home, one tire lost five pounds. One tire lost 1 or 2 lbs. Two others were fine. Nothing noted inside about lack of air. Poor programming?