Good car but gas mileage disappointing
By gws2 on
2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
I used to test auto manufacturers prototypes, so I understand how to drive for best MPG. No matter how I drive the Elantra, I never get over 28 MPG highway or city. Gas mileage was biggest selling point for me. My Infiniti G20 I traded got better MPG
Favorite Features
For size of car it has roomy interior and Trunk space. Nice looking car
Suggested Improvements
Fuel mileage, or don't lie about it in advertising
By litesong2
on 06/20/13 12:01 PM (PDT)

Filled with 100% gasoline(better by 5-8% than 10% ethanol blends), reset the trip computer & away I went on a day trip with 3 people, 3.5 hours of cool down, & 10 miles of city driving on top of 190 miles of nice country driving. Result was 43mpg. Average for 2013 auto tranny Elantra after four tanks...... 37.6mpg. Last two tanks were over 400miles, with 2.3 gallons remaining after last tank fill-up.

By gman4911
on 05/28/13 12:53 PM (PDT)

>>>I used to test auto manufacturers prototypes, so I understand how to drive for best MPG. Not necessarily. I read an article in one of the major car magazines where they published results from 4 or 5 of their test drivers of various cars and they all produced significantly different results. I'm sure they all thought they knew how to drive for best MPG as well. >>>No matter how I drive the Elantra, I never get over 28 MPG highway or city. There are several factors which can affect your MPG including weather conditions, elevation, speed, and traffic conditions, none of which are adequately simulated in the EPA tests. Also, the EPA test calls for 100% gas, not the 10% ethanol blend that is commonly used. Using the ethanol blend can cause up to 10% drop in MPG. What you need to do is prove that the car is not defective. Since the EPA Highway test is the easiest to replicate, you should start by tryng to perform that test. Drive for 11 miles on a flat stretch of highway with light traffic so that you never have to stop. Try to maintain an average speed of 48 mph and do not exceed 60 mph. Ambient temps should be between 68 and 86 degrees. A/C should be off. You should be able to exceed 38 mpg easily.

By jesse357
on 05/22/13 20:54 PM (PDT)

Sorry to hear that. I'm really suprised by some of the posts here on gas mileage. Never got less than 28 in city and usually get about 35-37 at highway speeds below 75 by calculation not the computer which reads 2 mpg better.