2014 Honda CR-V Consumer Review: 2014 Honda CR-V EX AWD early i

2014 Honda CR-V - Consumer Review

EX 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Automatic)

2014 Honda CR-V EX AWD early impressions
By faldoc on

2014 Honda CR-V EX 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Iíve had my new '14CR-V for a couple of weeks now and put just over a thousand miles on it, a mix of in city and highway. Driving a Camry Hybrid for more than 7 years, I loved the gas mileage, but there was a lack of cargo space in the small truck. So rather than get a somewhat more spacious sedan I thought Iíd try out an economical SUV with tons more cargo space for my stuff, and trips to the beach, while not sacrificing people space when my family comes visiting. Cargo space is abundant in this airy, fun to drive car. It's easy to fold the 40/60 rear seats down with a simple pull of a lever. Mileage range is 22 to 34.8, avg 28.7 MPG. This is an all round great Compact Useful Vehicle!

Cargo Space, Easy Fold Down seat mechanism, great Fuel economy, USB/Bluetooth Connectivity, optional AWD all weather capability, Comfort and Safety. Handling, Rear view Camera. The Mountain Air Metallic blue color gets a lot of positive comments.

Softer surfaces, instead of vast plastic expanses, auto unlocking (proximity key FOB). I have to unlock the car every time I want to open the hatch after stopping the car because it locks the car after driving a few seconds, but when it unlocks it only does the driver's door. I'd also like a push button ignition, and Homelink with auto dimming mirror. I had to add an aftermarket Gentex mirror for the Homelink, and the auto dimming was a plus since Homelink is not a factory Honda option.
By tc425
on 05/28/14 15:52 PM (PDT)

I am considering buying a CRV-EX. I currently have a 2006 LX Pilot. About the only complaint I have about the Pilot is the fabric on the seats "stains" easily - even if it's only water - and is impossible to clean. Makes the whole car look ugly. Has anyone seen this problem in the CRV-EX?

By arnold_ingo
on 03/09/14 12:47 PM (PDT)

There is no way that you are getting 28.7 MPG average. The 2014 CR-V is notorious for getting BELOW 20 MPG in mixed driving.

By kieran0325
on 05/13/14 11:47 AM (PDT)

You must have one heck of a unit from a wonderful batch from the factory; because you are the very first owner who has posted such high mpg! All I've been reading (and hearing on YouTube etc.) is that the mpg for the 2014 CR-V, regardless of trim, is extremely disappointing. Most seem to rate it at between 19-23.5 mpg no matter the weather or if the driver is using the "Eco" button. I'm not for 1 second saying you're lying or imagining things; but if that's your mpg good for you!! Drive on!! :-)

By chippy55
on 11/24/13 09:42 AM (PST)

I don't know about the CR-V but with my 2009 Civic there are 3 different ways you can set up the door locks, so check your owners manual. I changed mine from the default (can't remember what it was) so that now all 4 doors unlock when the car reaches 9 mph, and if I unlock the driver's side door, all 4 doors unlock. Also if I press the key FOB just the driver's side opens and if I press it a second time the back doors open.

By faldoc
on 04/12/14 14:18 PM (PDT)

chippy: thanks, I figured that out after posting my review. arnold_ingo: I've been using Fuelly.com to track my mileage: it isn't 28.7 mpg. It's gotten BETTER since I posted the review: it's 29.6 mpg over the 7844 miles I've tracked so far, best is 31.8 mpg and my last tank 31.5 mpg... my CR-V must have missed the briefing you got. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/vicdoc/crv