1999 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Civic LX best engineered car I have ever seen.
By hans_pcguy on 06/29/14 12:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan VP 4dr Sedan

I was a mechanic previously. I bought a 1999 Civic new when I worked as a process server in Boston MA. I drove 200 mi per day for the first year. I got in a total accident with 2,400 miles on the car and the insurance wouldn't replace it. They paid more than new car price fixing it. I kept it. It now has 230k mi. Not only have I never had problems with it, as a mechanic I do my own maintenance. It is the easiest car I have ever worked on. Front brakes take me 15 minutes. The only work that was at all difficult for me was timing belt (the crank pulley bolt is hard to get loose.) With 230k miles I still only have to change oil (synthetic every 5 to 8k miles) never need to add oil!

Civic is best among all Sedans
By Harsha on 11/14/07 10:32 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan VP 4dr Sedan

I have owned Nissan Maxima, Toyota Camry and Honda Civic. Civic is the best in terms of reliability, maintenance, gas mileage etc. I get 36 miles per gallon in city and 40 miles per gallon on highways. Very happy to own Civic in this high gas prices era. My next car would be Honda Civic Hybrid. Period

Happy Honda Owner
By Love my honda on 05/22/07 11:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan VP 4dr Sedan

This is our 4th Civic and has been a low cost car to operate with a reliable engine and transmission. We bought this one new and replaced brakes, tires exhaust and alternator by 150K. Repaired electric locks but driver's door is manual since repair is too expensive. With an A/T hill climbing is tough with the A/C on or with a full load of people or luggage. A/C is weak. It has more rattles and noise than our other cars developed and dings easily. There is no trunk light. The trunk opening is poorly designed and tends to channel rain into the tail lights and into the trunk. Cup holder design and location is poor as is charger location. Small items that irritate after 9 years.

solid car
By lnotting on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan VP 4dr Sedan

After 44,000 miles, this car still needs only its recommended service work. It even still has its original battery and tires. Nothing has fallen off or fallen apart. I drive it mostly for short, in-town use; but on the Interstates, it runs along with the "big dogs" just fine.

GREAT CAR
By zc on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan VP 4dr Sedan

it's a great car. never had anything better. i recommend this car to everyone.

Excellent Car
By eborges on 01/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan VP 4dr Sedan

Excellent Car for getting around. Reliable and is like the energizer battery.

Good Car!!!
By Mac Mick on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan VP 4dr Sedan

I really love this car. It's been great for getting around the city streets in and driving it on the highway every day to work. Gas milage is good. It did very well on a long trip out of town too. I like its zippiness, I have a hard time keeping it below 80mph on the highway, (That just seems to be a comfortable speed for it; works for me!!!)

love my civic
By johnnyd on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan VP 4dr Sedan

by far the absolute coolest first car for a kid. there are some issues w/ cheap tires and brakes, but other than that great car. no problems at all and highly recommended.

nice
By civic-minded on 03/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Honda Civic Sedan VP 4dr Sedan

Haven't had any mechanical problems. The only things I've replaced so far besides the wiper blades are the front brakes and the tires. Those were both done after 40,000. It takes off pretty good and sounds great. Of course great gas mileage which is a plus when gas prices rise. Overall, I'd buy it again.