Honda Civics are often well reviewed by
the automotive media and consumers. I
think that the praise is deserved, but
somewhat exaggerated. I have owned my
'97 Civic LX for five years now. I am
happy with it, I have had no mechanical
problems, and I still like the way it
looks. However, I think that the Civic
is very much lacking in comfort.
My chief complaint regards excessive
cabin noise. The engine and road noise
are far too loud for long distance
trips. Even a short commute to work can
frustrate as I often have to play radio
at a loud volume to drown out the noise.
1) Very low cost of ownership
2) Dependable reliability in all weather
3) Pleasing styling that has aged well
1) Cabin noise is excessive.
2) Power windows are very slow and weak.
In winter it is common for them to get
3) Poor quality paint on external,
plastic body parts.
4) Air conditioning is weak. (Previously
owned GM and Ford cars had excellent,
instant icebox A/C.)