Used 1998 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

This car is literally bullet proof
By mikey281

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

My mother bought this car new and I've had it for the past 3 years and 50k miles (190k total now). It has handled everything I could throw at it. Last summer we took it through 4000 miles of mexico and all the bumps and pot holes that that entailed. I even drove it through a river that washed out my road. It has only had standard maintenance done to it (fluids, timing belt tires) and a few other parts to replace some damage i caused when I went off the road (ball joint, new wheel) Someone even shot a gun into the hood and the support brace stopped the bullet so no damage was done to the engine! How's that for bullet proof!

Favorite Features

It starts every time. Even after 16 years there are no holes in the leather. I have driven it across the country and across the continent in the past year and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again tomorrow

Suggested Improvements

Not sure how much power it came from the factory with but at this point its pretty slow. Fuel economy could be better but it does improve about 15% by using ethanol free gas

One of the best cars ever made
By philsie1

1998 Honda Accord Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Our '98 has 375,000 kms. We have had it for 7 yrs and love driving it. We have to retire it finally because of rusted out frame and gas tank from so much salt on the roads of Canada. We have done very little to it except to replace all the brake and gas lines, again due to rusting. Still gets excellent gas mileage( we were getting as much as 44 mpg). So if you have 175000 - 200000 kms on your car, don't give up hope, there's plenty left.

First Car
By cosmicbrownies

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

This car was handed down to me in 2009, although it's been in the family since 2001. It currently has 175k miles on it. Hoping for many more. Advantages: The build quality is fantastic. The power features still work like new, and everything in the interior has the feel of quality. Even the leather still looks nice. The car is very comfortable and stable on the highway. Steering is tight and suspension is firm. Also has a surprisingly huge trunk. Disadvantage: The notorious auto transmission. Was replaced around 110k, and if this one fails, it'll probably be the end of the car. That's a shame, cause otherwise it's been great to me. Just wish it had the manual trans instead.

Great Reliable Car.
By pimpinpancakes

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

This car is great. It is the perfect size. Don't let it fool you because it is actually very roomy and has a large/tall trunk. Honda put a lot of thought into this car. Great first car. Safe also, I had a minor accident and it held up very well.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is good, 14 gallon tank usually around $45 to fill up and on the highway this thing sips gas.

Suggested Improvements

I know these have tranny problems but mine was redone before I got it, also the paint seems to fade on these but get it repainted and youll have a beautiful car.

the perfect car
By mpb666

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 accord in 2002. it had about 30,000 miles on it. was kept in great shape by previous owner..it is now december 2011 and i still own this great car. i am at 175,000 miles now with not 1 major problem in 10 years of owning it. still runs nice and smooth, quiet. i can trust and rely on this car to start and run great anytime. even in the dead of winter, will start up no problem. only thing ive ever had done major is replace the catalytic converter and starter. on my second set of brake pads in 10 years. i get 3 month oil changes and once a year maintenance checkup every year. im sure it would last another 10 years easy. great car, will miss it when i dont have it her anymore!