Used 2002 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

02 Taurus SE Sedan
By cab xerro

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have never had a mechanical issue. Great mileage and handling at highway speeds. A very comfortable car.

Interior comfort, low noise at highway speeds, good handling and controls.

My Troublesome Taurus
By Davarna Rainbolt

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SES with a DOHC engine used in '03. It currently has 104,000 miles on it as I drive a lot. I've had problems like other reviews. Replaced two oxygen sensors at 70,000 miles. Torque converter on the transmission went bad and then a sensor went bad causing a problem that appeared to be the transmission again at 100,000 miles. One window has never worked -- won't pay $200 to fix it. Has new tires and alignment -- still seems to vibrate, lots of wind noise. Looks very sporty and has a powerful engine when running right but I have little faith in this car since it has been undependable compared to other cars I've owned. Depreciated so fast I'm stuck with it for awhile -- hope the troubles are over!

Sporty looking and comfortable. Powerful engine for queen of the road driving.

I hope they have gotten these problems fixed in newer models -- no way I'm buying another Taurus (or any Ford) to find out.

heater problems
By jeni740

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car except the very first day I had it, it started to squeal nonstop like the belt was wet. After multiple trips to the dealer they replaced the belt. Now it is ok. Also my blower just went which is not covered under the warranty, so I have no heat and it is 10 degrees out. Other than that very great car.

Very roomy, seats are very comfortable.

Great Basic Car
By Bill

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 9/05 with 35K on it for $9,100. Has everything you need really. V6, auto, electric, cruise, CD, ABS. Ride great, power good enough, smooth shifting, not bad looking. I've put 30k miles on it in a little over a year and had NO problems other than turning the rotors, which need to be done again. I drive a lot of highway miles and get slightly over 25MPG. Following Ford's manual you need 5/20 Synthetic oil which is a little costly. I love this car. Nothing fancy but a nice ride and decent gas mileage for a V6 and reliable so far (I did buy an extended warranty just in case). Would definitely buy a USED one again. There are so many of them on the street they are a great buy used.

Price! (used) I paid $9,100 for a 2 year old V6 sedan with everything I need with balance of factory warranty. $21k new.

Brakes seem to need a little attention. I've read others with the same issue. Rotors are going in to be cut-turned for the 2nd time in 15 months.

Lots of Bang for the Buck
By Mike

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used with 18K for $10,500. Car has 42K now and it has been a very reliable and solid car. No major problems so far. It rides great, solid feel, firm almost sporty handling for a wagon. Quiet on highway and good mpg. I average 22 city/hwy without trying. Looked at SUVs before buying but the price was about 5K more. I use it mostly for business, constantly loading paper in and out (I own a printing company). Even with 800lbs of paper it handles sound ly with no surprises.This car is not sexy or fast but if you want to get around with lots of stuff or a family and not spend a fortune then it's worth looking into. Overall I am very satisfied. This car is a good fit for my needs.

Great seats, very comfy even after hours on the road. Interior is very large. I can hold more than some of my friends with SUVs can. Still quiet and solid with 42K, no rattles or shakes. I like the looks for a wagon. Lots of creature comforts, can't think of any other options that didn't come with car.

Transmission shifts poorly, Talked to several techs at dealer and it's the nature of the beast. Most of the time it's fine but it seems confused now and then and can't find a happy spot. Guess I'm used to my Caravan. It's very smooth in comparison. Rest of the car is fine.