Used 2002 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

heater problems
By jeni740

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car except the very first day I had it, it started to squeal nonstop like the belt was wet. After multiple trips to the dealer they replaced the belt. Now it is ok. Also my blower just went which is not covered under the warranty, so I have no heat and it is 10 degrees out. Other than that very great car.

Favorite Features

Very roomy, seats are very comfortable.

Great Basic Car
By Bill

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in 9/05 with 35K on it for $9,100. Has everything you need really. V6, auto, electric, cruise, CD, ABS. Ride great, power good enough, smooth shifting, not bad looking. I've put 30k miles on it in a little over a year and had NO problems other than turning the rotors, which need to be done again. I drive a lot of highway miles and get slightly over 25MPG. Following Ford's manual you need 5/20 Synthetic oil which is a little costly. I love this car. Nothing fancy but a nice ride and decent gas mileage for a V6 and reliable so far (I did buy an extended warranty just in case). Would definitely buy a USED one again. There are so many of them on the street they are a great buy used.

Favorite Features

Price! (used) I paid $9,100 for a 2 year old V6 sedan with everything I need with balance of factory warranty. $21k new.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes seem to need a little attention. I've read others with the same issue. Rotors are going in to be cut-turned for the 2nd time in 15 months.

Lots of Bang for the Buck
By Mike

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used with 18K for $10,500. Car has 42K now and it has been a very reliable and solid car. No major problems so far. It rides great, solid feel, firm almost sporty handling for a wagon. Quiet on highway and good mpg. I average 22 city/hwy without trying. Looked at SUVs before buying but the price was about 5K more. I use it mostly for business, constantly loading paper in and out (I own a printing company). Even with 800lbs of paper it handles sound ly with no surprises.This car is not sexy or fast but if you want to get around with lots of stuff or a family and not spend a fortune then it's worth looking into. Overall I am very satisfied. This car is a good fit for my needs.

Favorite Features

Great seats, very comfy even after hours on the road. Interior is very large. I can hold more than some of my friends with SUVs can. Still quiet and solid with 42K, no rattles or shakes. I like the looks for a wagon. Lots of creature comforts, can't think of any other options that didn't come with car.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shifts poorly, Talked to several techs at dealer and it's the nature of the beast. Most of the time it's fine but it seems confused now and then and can't find a happy spot. Guess I'm used to my Caravan. It's very smooth in comparison. Rest of the car is fine.

SEL Premium, first car
By Rob

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought a 2002 SEL Premium a month ago. 32k miles. Mine has every single available option, including: leather upholstery, moonroof, 6 disc CD, floor shift, side airbags, spoiler, automatic climate control, traction control, etc. All but the leather and moonroof come standard on the SEL Premium model. So far all I've done is replace the rear brakes. Otherwise, the car is a beauty. No major problems, fast acceleration, only complaint is the gas mileage, it seems lower than the class standards.

Favorite Features

Love the front buckets, firm and supportive. Power moonroof is one-touch. Cupholders for everyone!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better, but the only major improvement I would make is to tell Ford not to cancel this car.

Not a bad car
By Dan

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Sexy, it isn't. No heads will turn when you drive past, but the Taurus transports my middle aged body in comfort. I have had no problems with this car since I bought it. The only non-routine item I had done was to replace the battery last month. The trunk is very large too.

Favorite Features

I like the pick up that the engine provides. Not too bad for a sedan.

Suggested Improvements

None really, car has been super reliable.