2002 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews 4

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:
2002 SE
By JS on 06/04/07 17:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus was purchased off fleet at around 100k miles at a decent price. No major mechanical issues with this car, but many minor repairs considering the high mileage. New transmission seals were needed around 130k, several emissions sensor failures over the 40k (2yrs) that I have driven it, and a camshaft position sensor and sync replacement are the highlights of the repair history. Also suffers from crummy Ford power window syndrome, requiring slow and expensive repair. Handles well for its size, especially at high speeds, but a little stiff at low speeds. Weak engine and squirrely transmission hinder an otherwise competant car which ran me the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

2002 Taurus
By GregoryGalllo on 05/09/07 10:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Good car for the money. Water leak by blower motor, trans shifts erratically, and the ride is somewhat rough, but it runs well. I get 22-26 mgg (have gotten 30 on highway only). It is my third Taurus. They're cheap to buy, insure, refuel and operate. Plus, real low on the theft list.

Great value for the money
By maryland mom on 04/19/07 08:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I bought this car new in Dec. 2001, just before our first child was born. It's been a very functional, reliable car. Not sexy, but then again, no one will ever want to steal it. My husband's parents sold us a Chrysler T&C minivan, which we ended up using as our family car for two years. I preferred that for ease of getting kids in and out. But after the van was destroyed in a car accident we went back to the wagon, and it's quite nice. Also I noticed it's easier to fit groceries in the wagon than the van. No major repairs.

2nd Taurus, Never Happier
By gmercedesbenz on 04/16/07 08:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my baby in March of '07 with 74k on her. Its been 2 months, I've taken her to Long Island and Virgina, with no problems at all. Only had to replace a sway bar link when I first got her, under dealer warranty. My SEL is loaded with ever option. Highly suggested for a college commuter, it will get you there, and look good when you get there!

Great Family Car
By Brandy T on 09/15/06 11:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when we were expecting a second child. It's roomy enough for all of us. The trunk has a TON of space. Love the extra features of the SEL, but with the extra power comes less than optimal gas mileage (22 mpg city, 26 hwy). Since I only drive 12-15k/year it's not too big a deal.

I will never buy an American made auto again
By bearls1017 on 08/19/06 17:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this auto with 26,000 miles. At 30,000 the check engine light came on. After taking it in to the dealer 6 times, they finally realized the heads needed rebuilding. It had over 36,000 miles on it then. After the fight, they rebuilt with no charge to me. Now, at 70,000 it needs it again. This is a piece of junk and I will never buy an American made car after all this.

A Lot of Car For The Money
By Todd Morris on 07/26/06 09:10 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I buy cars for long-term service. I pastor a Baptist Church and drive anywhere from 20-30 thousand miles each year. My Taurus has performed flawlessly. Good power, decent mpg, great comfort, best handling car I have ever owned. It is a fun to drive family sedan, really drives like a sports car. I am thrilled with the car.

mixed emotions about this car...
By Ed on 07/18/06 11:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SES 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Taurus has been a mixed bag of good and bad. Had to have carburetor work done on it, replaced the tires and a battery, have had the brakes serviced twice. Now, the fuel level sensor is going out. May or may not work, and it kicks the check engine light on when it's not working. Was told that repairing that involves not only replacing the sensor, but the fuel pump as well? Hmmm... When I last had it serviced at the 3,000 mile interval, the oil was down a quart. Can't find any leaks, and it doesn't appear to be burning oil. Am also being told that the transmission fluid needs to be replaced, but have heard conflicting advice about the best way to do that. Car has 70,000 miles.

02 Taurus SE Sedan
By cab xerro on 04/29/06 18:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Have never had a mechanical issue. Great mileage and handling at highway speeds. A very comfortable car.

My Troublesome Taurus
By Davarna Rainbolt on 01/28/06 01:26 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Taurus SEL Deluxe 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SES with a DOHC engine used in '03. It currently has 104,000 miles on it as I drive a lot. I've had problems like other reviews. Replaced two oxygen sensors at 70,000 miles. Torque converter on the transmission went bad and then a sensor went bad causing a problem that appeared to be the transmission again at 100,000 miles. One window has never worked -- won't pay $200 to fix it. Has new tires and alignment -- still seems to vibrate, lots of wind noise. Looks very sporty and has a powerful engine when running right but I have little faith in this car since it has been undependable compared to other cars I've owned. Depreciated so fast I'm stuck with it for awhile -- hope the troubles are over!