Used 2002 Ford Taurus LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

2002 Ford Taurus LX (3.0L V6)
By Wilson

2002 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

First new car for the family. Have now 106,800 miles on it. Besides regular maintenance the only item that has failed was the starter at 106K. Other than that is been just regular oil changes, an a tune up at 106K. Easy to drive, comfortable. We have taken it on many long trips and has always performed very well. We get about 26 miles per gallon on the highway, about 23 in city driving.

Good overall car. Can fit 5 adults with no problem. Trunk is very spacious and looks good on the road. The Duratec 3.0L 12 valve engine has performed great.

Put anti-lock brakes in all models. LX model came with standard brakes.

WHAT A DEAL
By Les

2002 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Taurus used, 1.5 years old, with warranty, for less than half the price of a new one. The biggest surprise was decent handling, even better than my '00 Acura TL (before I changed springs). Lots of room inside, good fuel economy with smaller engine. Something of rarity these days, no ABS, I love it, especially on snow. For some reason there are no aftermarket parts, like lower springs, better shocks, but stock is not so bad. No ridiculous gap between fenders and wheels. My recommendation - get a used one from rental fleet, you'll save tons of money. With 65,000 miles on it, all I've changed was brake pads (twice), tires (3 sets), and ball joints. The car is driven hard and fast, almost problem free.

Large interior, good handling, decent fuel economy, cheap to insure and repair, no ABS, six passenger seating, huge tank, 16" wheels.

Transmission is horrible. Slow to downshift, fast to upshift, takes a lot of fun away from the car. Offer a manual (with clutch), there is no law against it. Offer harder springs as option, better headlights.

Ford Taurus: The Most UNDERATED VEHICLE
By bevlar

2002 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My 2002 Ford Taurus, was bought via the internet, after compaig 10 different models--equipment, features, price, etc. In my opinion, the Taurus is one of the most UNDERRATED CARS OF THE PAST FIVE YEARS! The car simply does what you want it to do! The quality, and attention to detail is evident in all aspects--drive train--body integrity-- interior, etc. Not to mention,that Taurus, is Ford's' "Official Race Car"- winning the NASCAR Winston Cup Manufacturers cup in 2002.

Drive train--looks like it is "hand made." Design: Clean and neat flowing uncluterd lines. Attentin to detail-- exterior--interior--and finish.

The ONLY improvement I'd suggest to Ford, is to move the oil filter AWAY from being directly OVER the starter motor.

transmission
By cat rio

2002 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 1999 Taurus. I bought it certified from the dealer. It had 43000 miles on it when I bought it. At 75000 the transmission gave out. It was covered under the extended warranty I bought with the car. I had no problems dealing with Ford for the repair. It broke down 200 miles from my home, and even though I was far from my usual service dept., they treated me well, and repaired it in a reasonable amount of time. I have heard the 1999 trani's go out around 75000 pretty regularly, someting I wish I had known. Other than that...I love the car.

climate control, keyless entry, huge trunk,plenty powerful

Darn Good Value!
By Jack_Izer

2002 Ford Taurus LX 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is probably one of the best deals out there right now. We took advantage of the $2500 rebate rather than the 0% offer. Clean styling, comfortable seating for 5 (could squeeze 6 in a pinch). Got it for 16,700 - after rebates & before taxes/doc. The LX is the base model, but it comes with power windows/locks & even a passive security system. All this plus a 5 star crash rating. Great car for the money!

Comfort & Safety

More horsepower. Should be easy from the V6.