Used 2001 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (89 reviews )

Great car
By J alsl

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car it is a great car its winter and i live in the country and it does great! It's a 5 speed with a Sunroof that opens with a crank it runs and drives great and easily shifts. I got it with 94k and it has 95k great car!

Great car!
By Chayse G.

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got my blue 2001 Focus ZX3 for free, it needed an idler pulley, and it ran well! It may have the occasional stall and rattle, but it runs well!

My First Car.
By dierad53

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car over a year ago and should've taken it to a mechanic.
I bought it for $1200 from a guy in my town.
It had 251000 miles on it.
I drove it 3 thousand miles the first month I had it.
To date I have replaced the battery(it had a go-cart battery when I bought it), rear wheel bearings, rear and front brakes, alternator, full front suspension, new tires.
So far I probably have about 3200 dollars into it and it now needs a new engine.
I got screwed by the former owner but i love this car.
I will drive it for years.
Great gas mileage and drifts well.
Ive gotten it to 110 before new suspension.
Then i hit a hawk.
I love this car and enjoy doing work on it.
Love my ZX3.

It will be fast when i have a new engine. Wont be worn to dirt. I took it to Ohio and it hardly broke down on me. Word to the wise. Don't take private sellers at their word have a good mechanic. The car will tell the truth. I have gotten 35 mpg on the highway and roughly 26 city. It is amazing in snow and love drifting on the lake(frozen). Wish it were 4x4 or had more offroading options. This car goes off jumps and mudding. Also is green bay packers colors. It is basically a truck. I have fit a dining room table in the hatch and two kayaks on the roof. I have also taken it off-roading. Doesn't forde creeks well but i got through it.

Have a Mechanic look over any car before you buy it. I would say to put roof racks on the car and a brush guard. I would also raise the suspension by an inch or so. Rear bumper is garbage. i would replace it with a steel bumper and attach a winch to the front. This car is very durable. Car is a bit front heavy. Oil filter is in the worst location and alternator is in a bad place. This car is perfect for a teenager who is adventurous and reckless. It is also very safe. Have not gotten into an accident yet. Can fit four kegs of soda in the back.

My ZX3 is a great vehicle
By tjnugent

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle new in 2001 (Focus ZX3 hatchback; 5-speed manual with no air conditioning or electric windows).
This is the best car I've ever owned.
We now have over 225,000 miles on the car with little maintenance.
By keeping up on the oil changes/tune-up's, we've had no major issues other than changing out the ignition once while it was still under warranty.
Great mpg (30-40 avg overall); I mostly drive freeway.
We're considering buying a 2013 as a replacement vehicle for our 2000 Focus SE sedan (bought it used; automatic w/electric everything; it has too many issues now at 180,000 mi).
The ZX3 is a wonderful car.
I would recommend the version I purchased.
It's a keeper!

Reliable car; great handling and mpg (30-40 avg). Glad I purchased the basic version (5-speed manual w/no electric windows/air conditioning, etc). Best car I've ever owned.

N/A; continue to offer the basic model with a hatchback and no electric windows.

This car is HORRIBLE
By qtbex87

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When i bought the car i had 62000 mi on it and now its been 5 years with 116000 ive had to replace the trasmission, replace the water pump and timing belt, replaced the coolant system 2 times not to mention the hoses and clamps about 3 times or more tires have been replaced twice, just when you think the car is ok something else will break and it costs at least 500 dollars or more! the car has electric problems sometimes the lights will just go out by itself i bought it for 8000 and spent almost triple that amount fixing this stupid car. the cd player you have to get replaced since the cds will stop playing after like 20 min or less the only good thing with this car is the gas milage