1999 Ford Contour SVT - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L V6 5-speed Manual - (30 reviews )
ford torus 1999
By Tulsi on 04/03/10 10:31 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

Mostly reliable, once a year needs repair/maintenance, twice tuneup and oil change

What a ride!
By Mark on 02/17/09 15:43 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

My experience over the 10 years that I owned my SVT was very positive. In 115,000 miles the only repair costs that I had was the water pump needed to be replaced and the radio wiring needed to be repaired, both of which were under $750.00 combined. Otherwise, this was a very reliable car that was a kick to drive! Almost all the miles I put on it were city driving (stop/start/potholes,etc..) and the engine was as good the day I sold it as it was the day I test drove it at the Ford dealership. I just bought a 2008 Ford Taurus and I will buy another Ford when it comes time to move onto the next. I have several friends with foreign cars that had a lot more trouble than I ever did with my Contour

1999 Contour SVT
By anthonyangle0719 on 02/17/09 02:03 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I'm not sure about the previous owner of this car, I purchased it with 97000 miles on it. It now has 117000, I have dropped the tranny in this car 3 times in this time. When I bought it, 2 days later 3rd gear was found to be chipped and caused a grinding when shifting into it. Following that the shift control assembly failed, had that replaced for $600.00 from ford. Just recently the differential blew up! There are now 2 small holes in the transmission housing and finding a new differential or even an aftermarket lsd is not cheap by any means. Again I don't know how the car was driven or taken car of but it has caused me nothing but large problems since I bought it.

My heart breaks for the Contour SVT
By My Heart Breaks on 07/27/08 20:42 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

My heart breaks for this car because it is truly fun to drive. I've put Borla exhaust on it with chrome tips and custom built cold air intake. It sounds great at low and high RPM. The turning capability is sensational, very responsive. Plus, it rides smooth at high speeds. But, almost everything that can go wrong on a car went wrong on this car. Most unrelieble car ever mad in fact. Since ive owned this car the linkage cable snapped when downshifting, the clutch went at about 15,000, the ant motor went, trunk leaks, O2 sensor replace numerous times, the highlights fogged up, radio turns on and off randomly, water pump dead, terrible gas mileage and most likely the worst AC unit ever replace 5X

Two transmissions later...
By devilsadvocate on 05/21/08 22:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

Sure this car handles well, looks good and sounds good but I had to buy a new transmission around 50K miles then another around 65K miles. The interior was the also falling apart starting with the dash. It warped so wildly we had to remove the windshield to epoxy the dash back on. All the transmission work cost us around $6,000. Over all this car is money pit. If you buy one get it for cheap.

A Classic
By Xtal on 10/04/07 07:16 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

Performance, handling, total driving experience. The Contour SVT excells in all categories. Last year I took mine to an autocross competition and even the instructors were amazed at how well this car performed. We ran it through a training course and it did so well on the skidpad that we had to force it to break-loose to demonstrate the throttle- steer technique. I have driven and owned performance cars since I began driving (1964) and this car is the best "out-of-the-box" performer I have owned.

My SVT, fair and experienced.
By Ramon Marrero on 04/12/07 13:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

My SVT Contour really has been an excellent car ever since I first bought it. I saw it in an auto locater mag. It had 44,000 miles, black w/ tan interior, and I stopped my car shopping instantly. My '99 Ford is not my daily driver so it doesn't get too many miles on it a year. I do however show it at local car shows and plan for a national event this year. It is definitly not a "trailer queen" though. I love to drive it! The car has great throttle response and power for most people to enjoy, and the motor sounds great when you give it what it seems to love...to go faster. It is no longer stock after over $5000 invested in performance and style upgrades and it's better!

Don't Buy One
By Anthony on 04/11/07 18:44 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I have had the car for about a year now, I paid $3750, since I got it I have had to put nearly $3000 in to it. I had to replace the motor before 100,000 miles, pathetic. Ford, fix of repair daily, has become very true with this Ford. I won't touch a Ford in years to come. If you like money don't buy one, because if you do you will not have any money left. I don't have any money left and it's in the shop for the second time this week. Please spare yourselves the headache.

Good value for midsize sports sedan
By Johnny Tech on 04/06/07 12:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

I enjoy driving this car. Excellent smooth performer. Great performance sound. While not super quick off the line it does pull strong across the entire power band and I've had the car at high speeds and it is smooth and tight. I've had to replace the sunroof motor in the short time I've owned it and the gas mileage leaves something to be desired (less then 20 mpg). Little rear leg room for the kids and the interior placement of the cupholders or interior storage isn't that great but hey, this is a driver's car. I have fun with it and it holds its own against other sports sedans like BMWs and you can get it for a fraction of the cost.

Euro car feel
By Kenny on 03/11/07 00:02 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Contour SVT 4dr Sedan

Very European feel for an American car. Especially the handling.