2012 FIAT 500 Pop Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Sort Reviews by

Why me!!!
By nalder620

2012 FIAT 500 C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

700 characters...not enough. Since day one, this car has been the most unreliable piece of poop I have ever owned. Fiat Canada has washed their hands of me, but i have decided to make all know, DO NOT BUY A FIAT!!! New transmission, new suspension, new clutch bearings, new PCM computer, rattling all over, paint peeling, lights burning out all over the place, 35 trips to the dealer and problems that they can not even fix after 8 tries!!! My car sounds like it want to start, but does not catch, have to do everything from the beginning and will start on the second shot! Thank goodness I bought a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty!!! I feel bad for those that only had a 3 year warranty :(.

Favorite Features

I love the look and the fuel economy, when the car drives at 100km/h, but over that, very normal and nothing special at all. At 120km/h, good luck getting 500km to the tank. Stereo is alright, but cannot be upgraded very easily. Leather is nice, but is showing major wear after only three years. Paint is very thin coats, maybe two or three max. I think they used water colours that wash off in the rain! Head rests ned to be replaced with rocks!!! Service has been great at the dealer, but repairing the car requires a dart board to figure out how to do so!!! Links repaired 4 times so far! rattling twice, every repair more than once or twice or five times!!!

Suggested Improvements

Take better care of customers when they buy the biggest lemon on North America!!! Purchase car from customer and replace with a new one. I will be blogging about negative aspects again soon and I will create a website devoted to angry Fiat owners, we will stand up and fight for the right to be taken seriously when we buy a lemon Chrysler product.

Too many repairs - clutch failure not warrantied
By pandacar

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I want to love this car, but one of the main reasons I bought it was for its affordability and I haven't even had it 2 years and I'm already paying 10% of the original cost in repairs! I bought it one year used with 11,000 miles on it. It's now 28,000 at miles and it's had problems with everything from cosmetic issues like peeling paint, to an air bag sensor failure, to a very serious no-warning clutch failure (which was not covered under warranty after 15,000 miles). The clutch replacement at a FIAT dealer has taken 10 days so far and is costing a small fortune. It's a fun car but just not holding up! I always drove a Subaru or Toyota before and I think it may be time to go back.

Favorite Features

Affordable (assuming you don't need repairs that aren't covered by the warranty), cute, good gas mileage, handles well given the small engine (struggles a little on hills), makes parking easy, back seat folds down easily to carry a decent amount of cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Some parts of the interior seem cheap - plastic bolt under glove box has popped out leaving the upholstery flapping, gear shift ring broke, etc. Outside, the paint is peeling on the strip between the sunroof and front windshield. The worst issue is the clutch dying suddenly at 28,000 miles (no slipping, no burning clutch smell to warn you, it just worked and then it didn't, in my case, in the middle of an intersection.) I've driven stick all my life and never run through a clutch that quickly. Peruse the forums and reviews for the 2012 FIAT 500 Manual Transmission and you'll see I'm not alone. No help from the dealership either.

Great value but some issues
By Kristina Colpitts

2012 FIAT 500 C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love the retro look and feel, the interior is gorgeous but there are a few issues with my 3 yr old 50,000KM 500C. I bought it 3 years old and a few days ago I've started to hear some creaking noises on the passenger side and back, sounds almost like the plastic on the doors is not put together tightly... I can't figure out what it is exactly but it's SUPER annoying.

Fun car - just hope nothing breaks
By centraca

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have really enjoyed my 2012 FIAT Sport. It is a fun car to drive, but there are issues. at 61,000 miles I am having to put in a new transmission, as the pressure plate has failed. I am not the only one, I am now at two weeks without my car, waiting on the parts. Everything that has needed to be done on this car takes a long time for the parts to come in. If you are considering a FIAT, turn around and RUN away from these cars.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, easy to park and navigate traffic.

Suggested Improvements

improved transmissions and materials. After having the arm rest break, FIAT wanted $1,100 to reinforce the drivers seat. Really??? It was a $84 part, dont make the customer pay for your flawed designs.

Not good
By cacplanor

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

2013 Sport purchased new now with 34K. Same problems many others are facing. Starting stumble, clunks heard and felt through steering system, suspension bumpers, eating tires once a year! Its nice to look at and fun to drive but that's about it. Run away if you appreciate what a "good" car is. Chrystler doesn't care if your car is broken, they'll tell you it's all "normal". You know, that "normal" clunk in the steering. The same clunk which would have stopped you/me from buying the car if a new one made it! Mine had that "norma"l clunk after only 6K miles. Thanks for that screw Chrysler, I won't soon forget it! Your cars suck and Uncle Sam should've let fail like you deserved.

Baja Life
By bajatexan

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2012 Fiat 500C (automatic) new in Aug 2012. To date, I have put almost 60,000 miles on it. I would drive 90 miles each way to work from Baja to San Diego on a daily basis. The exterior has held up extremely well and I have had no mechanical issues! The interior looks inexpensive but has held up well. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

They could improve the quality of the interior

Disenchanted
By rooster007

2012 FIAT 500 Lounge 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2012 Lounge that I bought brand new and I am the only driver. I put 1000 km a week on my Fiat. Average 80km/hour. I have just over 141,000 km on the car and have been told by the dealer that the CV shaft (right and/or left) are toast and that maybe the transmission will also need replacing. I have a front end wobble at 65km/hour that goes away after 75km/hour. Anyone else have this problem? I'm looking at almost 6k to fix!!! This is ridiculous! I put over 480k on my toyota rav4, front wheel drive, 2 door coupe. This fiat should get at least 250k before I have problems like this.

25K Trouble free miles and smiles...
By markus1963

2012 FIAT 500 C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our new 2012 500C (5MT) from Fullerton Fiat, NJ and could not be happier. The car has performed flawlessly over the past two years. After trading in our Mini Cooper S, we purchased a white body with red top combination Pop. The only services required have been the regular oil/filter changes and tire rotation.

Favorite Features

Safety-wise, having full front, curtain, thorax and knee airbags in a convertible still amazes me. Suspension-wise, the 500 is very comfortable, even over choppy pavement. Design-wise, we know the car has a fun personality. What we discovered later and to our delight, was the reaction the car has everywhere we go. It is a smile on wheels. To date, 30 total strangers (all friendly) have come up to us and asked questions about the 500C. Who would think metal, plastic and glass could evoke such a positive emotional reaction? This interaction and community is our favorite feature of the 500C.

Suggested Improvements

The original Firestone tires only lasted 25,000 miles. They were also woefully bad in the snow. I purchased Nokian R2 snow tires. Now the 500C is a snow mobile.

FANTASTIC VEHICLE!
By bjv1440

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

First I have to say that my vehicle is an automatic; NOT a 5 speed manual. I'm not sure why there is no option for this model on the drop down. My wife drove a rental one to AZ and feel in Love with it! I surprised her with a gift of this one and she has put about 30,000 miles on it in the last year. She averages 42 mpg combined! On a recent trip I drove and we encountered some terrible weather outside of Wendover, NV. The POP drove right through the Heavy Wind and was NOT blown around when passing semis! This vehicle has TONS of room inside for being so small on the outside. Five people can fit comfortably for a trip! Way to go FiatChrysler!

Favorite Features

Can't think of Anything that isn't done well!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing I can think of!

So far so good.
By trojas001

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought My fiat 500 sport used with 30.000 miles on it. It now has 65,000 mile. After readying some negative reviews. All I can say that'ís truly unfortunate . So far my car has been running strong I drive my fiat daily commuting to work 60 miles every day. I take my car to my mechanic for its regular oil changes he also lubes and looks over everything and every time I go to pick up my car he lets me know that everything looks good. Nothing to be concerned about. For those who take their car to the dealership and have had bad experience you'íre better off going to your own mechanic you trust. I have the best mechanic . There are some things that disappoint me about my fiat, as you all kno

Favorite Features

I like the way the car handles around curves.

Suggested Improvements

better interior