Used 2012 FIAT 500 Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 FIAT 500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Looks aren't everything...
By Madri

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car in 2012, brand-new,and wish I hadn't. First off, the car randomly powered off (the engine stopped, all the lights turned off, it just turned off!) well making a slight left turn on a very hot day. I went to the mechanic they said it was a fluke. Next, the car light turned on but the car wouldn't, the engine light all of the dashboard lights turned on, but the car wouldn't start. We managed to get the car running, drove 30 miles to the dealer where we purchased this Fiat (in Ontario California), and ritual by the mechanics to leave it overnight so they can check it out. Four days later The dealer calls us and tells us on the car needed was a new battery (the car was still under warranty, and the battery was covered). Shortly thereafter (our warranty expired), The dashboard lights will turn on and the car had trouble starting. It was mellow at first, taking a couple of key turns to get the car running...until one day the car just stopped running. We got it to the mechanic, this time we went to the dealership in Riverside, and they told us there was a leak, and it was dripping on the starter. They let us know it would be OK but that we needed to take care of the leak and possibly get a new starter. We drove the car home, less than 10 miles, and it completely stopped running. Now we have to take it to get towed to the dealer, pay close to $1200 to get it fixed (and that's if they don't find any other crazy thing going on with the stupid car). Every time I see a Fiat in the freeway or on the street, I get a stomachache. This is the most unreliable car ever.

Whirrrrrrr whistle growl pop burble
By Arthur Abarth

2012 FIAT 500 Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall this thing is good for basic transportation for someone who likes to drive. Set your expectations low, the interior is not primo, but if that's what you want then save up for something more upscale. The interior has some character but is definitely basic. The seats are sporty and the fabric feels robust. Racing Stripes, Racing stripes! How did they get inside my car again? The seats have a single red stripe going longways, I'll keep em. I use this car to commute through city streets and park it on the curb. Those big rims will get scratched, hail will damage the steel roof and eventually someone will drive their car into my car followed by driving their car away. Such is life. This is a more fragile car than anything I've had, the intercoolers are in the edges of the front bumper, meaning a fender bender will cost f$ht dollars. The brake calipers are within fingers reach of any passerby. Putting new tires on will scratch the rims very badly if you don't go out of your way to find a specialty shop. All that aside, this car rocks. It makes a unique exhaust sound, seems like it has never made the same sound twice. whirrrrr, whistle, growl, pop burble. Rippin through the corners and being a tiny car, 5 speed rowing and being such an unconventional car. Plenty of room for the average person and whatever junk the tote around with them, maybe even room for a friend.

little one
By Richie.C

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Roomy enough inside for 2 average adults,simple radio with steering wheel controls ,mine has the power sunroof,really nice
dont see alot these in brooklyn ny awesome city car,parking is pretty much point and park.Power is not the best ,but runs better on 93 octane
in sport mode and helps that its a 5speed manual.If you want a 2 door compact car thats simple and goes a long way on 15 bucks of gas
and isnt a mini or smart car,this ones good.

Sporty little car with a big personality!
By Brad Johnson

2012 FIAT 500 C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was in the market to buy a car for my son, a high school senior who will be college-bound next year and in need of good, reliable, safe wheels under him. The Fiat 500c seemed the perfect fit, literally - my son is 6' 5" and he slipped right in to the driver's seat with ease. There was plenty of head and leg room, once the tilt wheel and seat were adjusted. This car handles extremely well and is very tight on turns. What surprised me was the amount of interior space - the outside appearance is deceiving, as once you get inside, it is a well distributed area for 4 people. Equally so is the trunk space, which provides a deep, larger-than-expected compartment for all kinds of storage. Even better is the feature of the split rear seat, which folds down and allows for larger items to fit from the folded down seat to the trunk space. Very smooth ride - takes those bumps in the road really well which reflects a good suspension system. Plus, it's a convertible !! What's better than that? Although I have firmly told my son that he is not to put the top down and stand up while driving, with his feet on the wheel....! It is a great little car that is super on gas and a blast to drive - my son loves it. Life is too short, and for a car in this price range, loosen up and go grab some fun.

Little Red Cherry Pepper
By D Cozz

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Car's great to me. Single guy, and tall, and car is fun, dependable and has just enough bells and whistles for me: bucket seats, great stereo, good heat/ac... I get more compliments on this car than I did on my mini-cooper. Maybe it's the rosso brilliant paint... Going on fourth year and hope to have for many yrs more... 21k so far, and always excited to get bend the wheel and go for a ride... For the price paid, I'm happy...