Used 2012 FIAT 500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 FIAT 500

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Why me!!!
By nalder620

2012 FIAT 500 C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

700 characters...not enough. Since day one, this car has been the most unreliable piece of poop I have ever owned. Fiat Canada has washed their hands of me, but i have decided to make all know, DO NOT BUY A FIAT!!! New transmission, new suspension, new clutch bearings, new PCM computer, rattling all over, paint peeling, lights burning out all over the place, 35 trips to the dealer and problems that they can not even fix after 8 tries!!! My car sounds like it want to start, but does not catch, have to do everything from the beginning and will start on the second shot! Thank goodness I bought a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty!!! I feel bad for those that only had a 3 year warranty :(.

Favorite Features

I love the look and the fuel economy, when the car drives at 100km/h, but over that, very normal and nothing special at all. At 120km/h, good luck getting 500km to the tank. Stereo is alright, but cannot be upgraded very easily. Leather is nice, but is showing major wear after only three years. Paint is very thin coats, maybe two or three max. I think they used water colours that wash off in the rain! Head rests ned to be replaced with rocks!!! Service has been great at the dealer, but repairing the car requires a dart board to figure out how to do so!!! Links repaired 4 times so far! rattling twice, every repair more than once or twice or five times!!!

Suggested Improvements

Take better care of customers when they buy the biggest lemon on North America!!! Purchase car from customer and replace with a new one. I will be blogging about negative aspects again soon and I will create a website devoted to angry Fiat owners, we will stand up and fight for the right to be taken seriously when we buy a lemon Chrysler product.

Too many repairs - clutch failure not warrantied
By pandacar

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I want to love this car, but one of the main reasons I bought it was for its affordability and I haven't even had it 2 years and I'm already paying 10% of the original cost in repairs! I bought it one year used with 11,000 miles on it. It's now 28,000 at miles and it's had problems with everything from cosmetic issues like peeling paint, to an air bag sensor failure, to a very serious no-warning clutch failure (which was not covered under warranty after 15,000 miles). The clutch replacement at a FIAT dealer has taken 10 days so far and is costing a small fortune. It's a fun car but just not holding up! I always drove a Subaru or Toyota before and I think it may be time to go back.

Favorite Features

Affordable (assuming you don't need repairs that aren't covered by the warranty), cute, good gas mileage, handles well given the small engine (struggles a little on hills), makes parking easy, back seat folds down easily to carry a decent amount of cargo.

Suggested Improvements

Some parts of the interior seem cheap - plastic bolt under glove box has popped out leaving the upholstery flapping, gear shift ring broke, etc. Outside, the paint is peeling on the strip between the sunroof and front windshield. The worst issue is the clutch dying suddenly at 28,000 miles (no slipping, no burning clutch smell to warn you, it just worked and then it didn't, in my case, in the middle of an intersection.) I've driven stick all my life and never run through a clutch that quickly. Peruse the forums and reviews for the 2012 FIAT 500 Manual Transmission and you'll see I'm not alone. No help from the dealership either.

Very Unhappy
By veryunhappy52

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I was driving at a speed of 55 mph when without any warning my car shut off. Thank God I or someone else was not hurt. My fiat is a 2012 with 53000 miles on it. The only thing Ive had to do is replace both brake lights at the same time and a headlight. When the car died, I could not get my key out of the ignition nor could I get the car out of gear. It had totally locked up. Just called the dealership and the car wont even communicated with the computer to find out whats wrong. Sounds expensive to me.

Favorite Features

Right now, I cant think of any.

Suggested Improvements

from what I have read, Fiat has alot of issues with the motor that needs to be addressed.

Great value but some issues
By Kristina Colpitts

2012 FIAT 500 C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love the retro look and feel, the interior is gorgeous but there are a few issues with my 3 yr old 50,000KM 500C. I bought it 3 years old and a few days ago I've started to hear some creaking noises on the passenger side and back, sounds almost like the plastic on the doors is not put together tightly... I can't figure out what it is exactly but it's SUPER annoying.

Fun car - just hope nothing breaks
By centraca

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have really enjoyed my 2012 FIAT Sport. It is a fun car to drive, but there are issues. at 61,000 miles I am having to put in a new transmission, as the pressure plate has failed. I am not the only one, I am now at two weeks without my car, waiting on the parts. Everything that has needed to be done on this car takes a long time for the parts to come in. If you are considering a FIAT, turn around and RUN away from these cars.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, easy to park and navigate traffic.

Suggested Improvements

improved transmissions and materials. After having the arm rest break, FIAT wanted $1,100 to reinforce the drivers seat. Really??? It was a $84 part, dont make the customer pay for your flawed designs.