Used 2012 FIAT 500 Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 FIAT 500

View reviews for a specific 500 model:

Little Red Cherry Pepper
By D Cozz

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Car's great to me. Single guy, and tall, and car is fun, dependable and has just enough bells and whistles for me: bucket seats, great stereo, good heat/ac... I get more compliments on this car than I did on my mini-cooper. Maybe it's the rosso brilliant paint... Going on fourth year and hope to have for many yrs more... 21k so far, and always excited to get bend the wheel and go for a ride... For the price paid, I'm happy...

Customer service # 1 Priority??????/
By Susan Riley

2012 FIAT 500 Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car from a dealer within 5 miles of my home. Within one year of purchasing this car the dealer went out of business. I then started to take the car to a dealer near to where I work but they are no longer providing any service that is under warranty for Fiat as they have a dispute with Fiat. My check engine light is on and I am now told that I can have the car towed to a dealer that is a 90 minute drive from my home but it is my responsibility to pick it up. Calls to and emails to Fiat go unanswered.

It is a great car and I loved it but don't buy a Fiat. You cannot count on their relationships with their dealers.

There are no boring trips in an Abarth!
By Seth Simon

2012 FIAT 500 Abarth 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a niche car and not for everyone, and that's why it's a special. A Camry or an Accord are for everyone, and when you make something to please as many people as possible you end up with middle of the road blandness. That's great for some, not for Abarth owners.

This is a performance car based on a relatively humble small European city car, originally designed for dense urban areas. So, yeah, if you have 5 kids and two dogs, guess what? It's not a car for you. If you like space, fuel and technological efficiency, are concerned of your footprint on the planet but really like to drive, then an Abarth may be for you. It oozes character, it sounds fantastic and I love that it doesn't look like it's angry and wants to kill you, like so many other cars on the market.

It's actually pretty comfortable for long trips, and despite its compact exterior dimensions, it has a lot of space, more than a Mini. I'm 5'-10" and 190lbs and I can sit comfortably in the rear seat behind myself. It's easy to park and cheap to fill the tank, and no one get s annoyed at you when you pass them. Try doing that in a BMW or Mercedes.

I considered a Ford Fiesta ST, but was turned off by the four door-only bodystyle, and although objectively it was a tad more refined than the Abarth in some areas, it just didn't feel special, and certainly wasn't as much fun to drive.

The quality of materials is not on par with say, a Lexus, but then it doesn't cost Lexus money. I've had mine for two years and the only issues I've had were a burned out light bulb in the cruise control switch and a faulty tire pressure monitoring sensor. Nothing squeaks or rattles. Overall, I've been very very happy with this car.

Never Buy a Fiat! Worst Investment
By Star

2012 FIAT 500 Lounge 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Good afternoon all,

To anyone reading this I hope this review helps you in not repeating the same mistake I have made with this affiliation. Although Fiats are cute in shape there are so many future faults. I currently own a 2012 Fiat 500c Lounge. When I purchased my car Certified Pre-owned at 23k miles I was provided with a car report which only stated car went in for routine maintenance. Fast forward to about 10k miles later I have to get a new battery, tune up etc. I thought nothing of it. I am currently at 58k miles and 8k out of warranty and my transmission light comes on randomly one day stating "check transmission - see handbook". I contacted the Fiat customer service (1-888.242.6342 spoke with Robin, Brenda, Mercedes & Josh -Total Calls 8) to see if they could assist with any repairs. They advised me my car history states my fiat has been sent in twice for a new radiator and once for sunroof repair (No wonder previous owner traded it in. A new radiator was installed first 2k miles no accidents just manufacture faults. I had NO prior knowledge of this issue it was never reported nor communicated to me when purchasing). Brenda, then stated they would need it to be diagnoses first to see what they can do. However, in order to do so I would need to take it into the fiat studio etc. Fiat Studio address: 196 South Dupont Highway Newcastle, DE phone no: 3023231666 service advisor: Tony - not helpful had no clue what was going on just guessing games. I was charged a total of $460 just for them to tell me an incomplete, inconsistent diagnosis (Diagnosis code P0741 had been provided to them at drop off before any work was performed - Tony said that was not helpful could mean anything. (Diagnosis means: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off). Since Fiat customer service said they needed additional details I told "Tony the unhelpful" he would need to provide additional details which is why my initial price sky rocketed from $99.95 (because I had a coupon original price $115.97) to $460. The only diagnosis I was provided was that it was a mechanical issue and repairs would be $5,975 (no lie I will never forget this number).

In order to get a better understanding because I am a female and cars aren't my forte'. I asked "Tony the Unhelpful" what can cause these kinds of issues? He stated its a computer issue and would need rewiring. I provide this feedback to Fiat customer service who now state since I am out of warranty theres nothing they can do. I understand that, however they should've advised me that before I went ahead and authorized Tony to do absolutely nothing but fiddle around with gadgets? The customer service gave me the impression I would be covered. I have begged, pleaded, cried, went to FCA customer service only to be directed back to Fiat customer service. I even asked that they at least cover half of the diagnosis due to useless customer service as well as mechanical faults. They continuously stated "no". In the mist of all of this I still remained optimistic. I continuously attempted to find the root to this problem. I thought maybe this could've have been due to water. I then contacted my insurance company who then performed an extensive investigation and stated after careful review there was no evidence of water damages - claim denied. I contacted the Fiat to advise them of this and also advise that I was told "this is a mechanical issue". Fiat Customer Service then states "Carmen Chrysler Jeep Dodge" told them my car was "maintained poorly and it was water damaged". (My car has a low tire thread on left side everything else is in great shape I promise). I advise the rep of this and also advise her there were no signs of water damages after my insurance performed their investigation. She then contacts shop to verify they then agree that yes in fact the only thing is the tire and confirm no water damage. Fiat still advises me there still nothing they can do since I am out of warranty. They advised that it was my fault since the tire is low it impacted my transmission. I am perfectly fine with that response. I will take full responsibility if that was indeed the case however, that was NOT the case!! After further research and second opinion from AAMCO turns out it was a system issue / computer issue - Mechanical failure the tires had absolutely NOTHING to do with this mechanical failure in fact AAMCO was $300+ cheaper (they waive diagnostic fee if you repair issue). This was all caused by a fault in the transmission so to wrap this review up my Fiat was a complete LEMON when it was first installed. I was lied to upon purchase information was never placed on carfax if it had been I would have NEVER joined the Fiat family because this is a common issue that I had no idea about until now.

In conclusion, I would advise anyone seeking a fiat or even going for servicing at this location especially females to look elsewhere. For interested fiat lookers look elsewhere bad c

Fiat 500C
By Jerry

2012 FIAT 500 C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)