2012 FIAT 500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 500 model:
WARNING - Dangerous vehicle
By wikolia on 03/27/14 05:27 AM (PDT)

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

while driving in left hand hand lane of I-95 in FL, (blood alley) the engine shut down and I had to drift over 2 lanes to the hard shoulder. got towed to dealership where the valve actuator, camshaft and generator had to be replaced. this vehicle had only 6000 miles on it. after NO help from dealership or FIAT corporate office I have no faith in this brand at all. I'm lucky to be alive. please note this is an automatic vehicle. there was no option for automatic in the dropdown menu.

I wish I didn't purchase this car.
By nomorefiat500 on 03/13/14 11:34 AM (PDT)

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Sigh..I fell in LOVE with my little 2012 Fiat 500 Sport until problem after problem. I just hit 30k miles and so far here are the issues; Clutch plate needed fixed, sometimes it wouldn't start since day 1; boot shifter replaced 2x; back windshield wiper fluid doesn't spray anymore, tire has a hole in it upon purchase, noticed next day, clock replaced as it wouldn't keep time, radio (CD Player) wouldn't eject CD's. I bought the car with 4 miles on it. I do not trust the Fiat dealerships and I do not trust this car anymore. I am trading it in soon. It's ashame, as I loved it.

Not Happy
By donna1954 on 03/06/14 12:53 PM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Fiat 500 less than 6 months ago and have never been so unhappy with a vehicle. The gas mileage is not what is advertised, the interior design is horrible, no center console, the visors do not even come close to protecting your face, the heat/ac when set on your feet blows directly, about 1/2" from your driving ankle so it either burns your ankle or freezes it. And do not let the wind blow at all because you cannot hold the car on the roadway. I do not enjoy driving anymore and can't wait to trade the car in.

So Far so good
By carlonz on 02/08/14 08:17 AM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 C Pop 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought a 2012 pop c in February 2013 for my wife. She thought it was a great looking car and we were trading a Mini Cooper. We only have 3000 miles on it so it's hard to say it has been a great car. We have had to have the headliner replaced already - really, the headliner... Anyway, my wife still likes the car. It gets good gas mileage although she doesn't drive it often. Interior parts are cheap plastic but we haven't had anything break yet. Service department is OK to deal with, BUT my one major complaint so far is that FIAT doesn't offer courtesy cars to drive if they have to keep your car which is different from any other manufacturer I have ever dealt with.

Love It
By joshproducts on 01/22/14 15:12 PM (PST)

2012 FIAT 500 C Lounge 2dr Convertible (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Fiat 500c last Jan. We have had no problems with our fiat at all. We have gone to Az, Tenn 3x's, and back to Pa three times. Love it great gas mileage. Only one thing has popped up in the back seat there is a radling going on not sure what it is. But its not a big thing. We want to trade it in for the 500L now. Not that we don't like our 500c but we want more room for traveling.

One of the best I've ever owned
By robhmass on 09/12/13 16:30 PM (PDT)

2012 FIAT 500 Pop 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought mine with optional alloy wheels, sunroof, and a couple of other options in April 2012. Got a great price. Had the car now for 17 months & have driven 38,000 miles with no mechanical problems. There was a service bulletin recall concerning ungrounded starter bolts which the dealership fixed promptly along with a blown bi-halogen headlight(probably related to the ungrounded starter bolts). However, service tech did not unhook the battery while replacing starter bolts and shorted out the climate control panel. So, now, the car is back @ the dealer to replace this. Dealer did give a loaner. Absolutely no other issues. Car is great on gas(38-40mpg mostly highway) and fun, fun to drive.

Fiat 500 sport
By fixitagaintony on 08/16/13 06:40 AM (PDT)

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it new with 60000 klm warranty. Most of my problems started after that and when I got to 85000 I traded it in for a honda fit. When I traded it the following repairs were required. Air conditioning not working, front end repairs for $1600. Leaking heater core, high beams that won't go to low. Brake power unit for $900. Paid 18000 and got 8000 on trade after 16 months and 85000 klm. MY dealer experience was awful. The salesmen were busy fighting over me, that on delivery I got the wrong car ( ordered white with bose stereo and got Grey with standard stereo.) Service dept. was not much better, as my request to return old parts for me to inspect were ignored. (commisons)

! un happy Camper
By lemonbuyer2 on 08/03/13 09:57 AM (PDT)

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this turbo sport 4 days ago and it's been in the shop twice already for repair, brand new car with 100 miles already has problems. I wished I had never seen the thing . I don't reccomend this car to anyone, ever. I will probably end up using the lemon law on this one , what a shame.

Love-hate relationship
By molly40 on 07/13/13 14:31 PM (PDT)

2012 FIAT 500 Sport 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 500 sport with 3,000 miles on it - dealer sales staff drove the car. While it looked cool and was extremely fun to drive, I quickly learned to loathe the car. Two steering arms and one master control module later (car had less than 20,000 miles on it), I looked for any way to unload this car without taking a huge loss. In addition to these issues, the backseat began to come apart at 12,000 miles (and rarely did I have anyone sit in the back). The engine block heater worked wonderfully but it began to malfunction and send error codes to the main computer. I was calling the dealer (90 miles away) for service every few weeks. Finally, at 24,500 miles, I called it quits.

500 lounge, with every option
By phatgreatwall on 07/12/13 08:06 AM (PDT)

2012 FIAT 500 Lounge 2dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl 5M)

car is fun to drive, gets really good mileage, steering tie rod end was loose after 30,000km, replaced under warranty. buy this car only for the fun and new factor, definitely a chick's car, but i see too many old italian guys driving it......

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 FIAT 500 in WA is:

$166 per month*