Used 2004 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

2004 Dodge Neon

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

SXT review
By tech2

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall my car was very reliable. The only problem I have had since rebuilding the engine is the power control module in this car which I think is a problem. I was looking for a recall on this but did not find one. Also it could get better gas mileege. I added one of those tornados to the air intake which increased fuel economy by 3 more miles.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature was the car's handling in and out of heavy traffic.

Suggested Improvements

Suggested improvements, would be to the power control module or engine control module. Better gas mileage and perhaps changing the timing belt for a chain which would result in more miles and less tearing the engine down for timing belt replacement or repair.

I'm a Dealer - These things don't break!
By Jay Slingerland

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am currently on my second SRT-4 after buyer the first one that came into our dealership. The fun factor in this car is huge. I just delivered a 2009 Challenger SRT-8 and the car is fast, comfortable, and a cool muscle car. But this little Neon has the capability to be Auto crossed, Rally Raced, SCCA or NASA licensed, and can be driven as a daily driver with virtually no problems. Especially now considering you can buy a good used one with 20,000 miles for 13-15. I just installed the Stage 2 turbo kit with the Mopar Cold Air intake - Sweet Mother! Like I said, the Challenger's fast - but this little Neon is something! Will definitely keep this car forever.

Favorite Features

Huge go factor! You can't drive this car and not have fun with it. The Mopar upgrades (Suspension, Turbo, Shift kits, etc) are all extremely easy to install. You don't need to be a tech to modify this car.

Suggested Improvements

Put the AWD platform back on the table SRT-4 Caliber. The FWD version has too much torque for only 2 wheels. Or put a limited slip back into the car instead of the Anti-Lock equivalent. Rumor has it an existing AWD car can be retrofitted to accept the Turbo components Interesting!

Suprise, Surprise, Surpise!!
By Carmen

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I went to the dealer looking for a different car. Well, not so good credit landed me my neon. WOW!!! I am so happy that I got it. I've had it for about 4 years and only took it to the garage once. The mechanic was not too happy to hear it was a Neon, well after he test drove it after the fix, he was in love with MY car!! No complaints, but that for a small car it's not very fuel efficient. Other than that, I recommend this car. LOVE IT!

Favorite Features

All, except cracking back windows.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.

Could have done better
By elysian_7

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had mine 4 years, put 75,000 miles on it and bought it brand new. It's a good car. I have really had no problems until recently, but it has yet to leave me stranded. I'm getting strange codes and my transmission is acting berserk. The 6 disk changer was a mistake and I'm very upset with performance. I've lost several cds into the unknown in there and had to replace the thing twice. Other than that its a smooth ride, once i get my current problem fixed (still don't know what it is). Great speakers, cool look, smooth ride, almost no blind spots. Great first car. I won't get another though. Sorry dodge, but i can't take the electrical problems.

Favorite Features

No blind spots, excellent sound system, smooth ride, sun roof, comfy seats.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the 6 disk changer (its very glitchy). Reduce the electrical problems, quality of transmission.

NEON SXT
By srt10dodgeviper

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm a car salesman and bought a neon. It's a pretty good car overall. I get between 27-33 mpg depending if I'm driving on the highway or in the city. I'm a neat freak because I was a detail shop manager for years. The neon would be better if the seat fabric was better and could be cleaned easier. The trim moldings fade really easily too. I bought the car for what the dealership paid and it's value is dropping daily. Overall it is a really good dependable car, but the re-sale isn't there. If you're looking for a really basic, reliable car I would say buy a neon. If your a resale buyer I would stay away from it.

Favorite Features

I get 27-33 mpg, it's reliable and rides pretty nice.

Suggested Improvements

interior seat fabric could have been better. Exterior moldings fade out too quickly. The plastic is kind of cheaply done.