Used 2004 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Neon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Neon model:

Theft for this car
By Gina

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a good car and is reliable and simple to fix if something is wrong but the theft on this car is terrible! I've had my car for 5yrs and it's been broken into 4times. And it's not the area because I've moved 3 times. Everytime I put in a police report, the police officers always say "you got to get rid of this car because it's # 1 for theft". Thank god they did the upgrade.

radio system

make all the windows power. why do i have power windows in the front and roll down in the back????

Surprisingly reliable
By just me

2004 Dodge Neon SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My husband bought this car new before we met. Personally, I wouldn't have figured a Dodge to be all that reliable. But he looked pretty hot in his black sporty car. So I married him! (just kidding, mostly) I'm pleased to say this car has been extremely reliable. No major mechanical work - maintenance costs only. The 6 CD changer died after only a couple of years. The hook securing the driver side sun visor broke. We started to get uncomfortable in this car with the arrival of our daughter. Exercise stroller doesn't fit in the trunk. Hard to get baby in and out - have bumped her head countless times. Three adults and a baby is almost excruciating for the adult in the back.

SXT review
By tech2

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall my car was very reliable. The only problem I have had since rebuilding the engine is the power control module in this car which I think is a problem. I was looking for a recall on this but did not find one. Also it could get better gas mileege. I added one of those tornados to the air intake which increased fuel economy by 3 more miles.

My favorite feature was the car's handling in and out of heavy traffic.

Suggested improvements, would be to the power control module or engine control module. Better gas mileage and perhaps changing the timing belt for a chain which would result in more miles and less tearing the engine down for timing belt replacement or repair.

I'm a Dealer - These things don't break!
By Jay Slingerland

2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am currently on my second SRT-4 after buyer the first one that came into our dealership. The fun factor in this car is huge. I just delivered a 2009 Challenger SRT-8 and the car is fast, comfortable, and a cool muscle car. But this little Neon has the capability to be Auto crossed, Rally Raced, SCCA or NASA licensed, and can be driven as a daily driver with virtually no problems. Especially now considering you can buy a good used one with 20,000 miles for 13-15. I just installed the Stage 2 turbo kit with the Mopar Cold Air intake - Sweet Mother! Like I said, the Challenger's fast - but this little Neon is something! Will definitely keep this car forever.

Huge go factor! You can't drive this car and not have fun with it. The Mopar upgrades (Suspension, Turbo, Shift kits, etc) are all extremely easy to install. You don't need to be a tech to modify this car.

Put the AWD platform back on the table SRT-4 Caliber. The FWD version has too much torque for only 2 wheels. Or put a limited slip back into the car instead of the Anti-Lock equivalent. Rumor has it an existing AWD car can be retrofitted to accept the Turbo components Interesting!

Suprise, Surprise, Surpise!!
By Carmen

2004 Dodge Neon SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I went to the dealer looking for a different car. Well, not so good credit landed me my neon. WOW!!! I am so happy that I got it. I've had it for about 4 years and only took it to the garage once. The mechanic was not too happy to hear it was a Neon, well after he test drove it after the fix, he was in love with MY car!! No complaints, but that for a small car it's not very fuel efficient. Other than that, I recommend this car. LOVE IT!

All, except cracking back windows.

Better gas mileage.