2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Caravan model:
I miss my van
By preacher_man_d on 06/13/13 20:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

If I hadn’t been hit two different times in one week and the insurance totaled it out, I would still be driving this van. I bought the van used in 2002. Yes, it had all the problems associated with Dodge vans – I replaced the transmission, the carpet under the passenger side stayed wet in the summer, etc. Many of the problems I was able to repair myself just by watching Youtube. Anyway, before I started driving with a “target” on my van, which caused me to be hit twice by two different people in one week (not my fault), I had just turned 234,000 miles! I will miss it.

"Sport" model for a reason
By sebago588 on 11/23/12 14:14 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our 01 GC Sport in the latter part of 2000 out of a 96 Sable wagon. We love our van. Not only can we tow our 20 ft bow rider with it, the cargo room when all the seats are removed is like a Uhaul. The engine has power and sounds throaty like a Durango or even a Charger. Reaching highway speeds is no problem for the peppy little 3.3 liter V6 even with 7 adult sized passengers. We had one power window motor die out on our son while he was at a car wash (horrible scenario) and once needed a new starter. All of which were not ridiculously pricy but, repairing anything on a Chrysler product is thankfully never a "remortgage the house" situation. Engine smokes my sister's Odyssey.

2nd good one
By surflad on 06/11/11 11:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 1995 Caravan with 50k miles in 1997. Put another 120k miles on it in 6 years. Transmission went out at 75k miles but was covered by warranty. In '02 traded the '95 in on this 2001 Sport. Now has 220,000 miles on it. Replaced entire A/C system in 07, $1k. Replaced transmission at 210,000, used one for $750. Other than that both front window motors, one alternator. Now on second tune up, second set of brakes, fourth set of tires, Goodyears. Doesn't use any oil, rides great! Hauls surfboards, kayaks, musical equipment and still gets 25mpg on highway. We love it!

LOVE IT!
By hotwire71 on 03/17/10 09:08 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Dodge Gr. Caravan. I bought my 2001 in June of 2003 with 67,000 miles. I now have over 210,000 miles on it. Other than a CV Boot gone bad in 2004, I have had little in the way of maintenance. I've had the A/C looked at, but no one can find the leak, so I have it charged every Spring and have had no problems getting through the summer. In the 7 years I've owned the vehicle, I've replaced the break pads twice, so about every 75,000 miles. The front blower resistor/transistor or whatever it is called, went bad a couple weeks ago. In fact that's how I came to find this site. The part $13.99 and it's definitely a DIY job, took me less than 10 minutes. I LOVE MY VAN!

Been Very Happy
By GH on 01/25/10 12:57 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Back in '04 I purchased my '01 GC Sport with 81,000 miles on it. After 6 years it has over 200K on the clock and still runs great. No transmission troubles, just regular maintenance changing the oil and getting new tires and brakes. The 3.3 is a reliable motor and it has performed flawlessly. My only complaint with the van is the power door lock switches as they don't always work.

Worst Car Ever
By No more Dodges on 02/27/09 11:56 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this because Dodge was supposed to be the leader in mini- vans, but what a costly embarrassment this thing is. We replaced a transmission at 73,000 , the radio at 19,000 , one window motor and after that was fixed the other one went out. The worst part is that I could have bought a Ford with 0.0 percent and I made the mistake of buying this piece of Chrysler junk. If you buy a U.S. car stick with a Ford!

The van likes the shop more than me
By PT on 01/08/09 21:19 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I really like this vehicle but it spends too much time in the shop. Too many issues (window motor, door motor, AC, radio, trans) to mention here but the high end extended warranty 7 yr/100K mile was worth it. We received $8-10K worth of work via the warranty. It has a sports handling package & rides well but with some noise. We take this to FL from DC every year. Interior is nice, somewhat plasticky but solid. Exterior is very sporty & one of the nicer looking vans on the road. I enjoyed the van but even with the warranty, it sucked the life out of me going back & forth to the dealer. We replaced it with a Sienna. This was our 3rd Chrysler, don't buy one without a warranty.

Fantastic Family Vehicle
By J Max on 09/20/08 21:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used at 41,000. Do about 20,000 a year. Currently at 121,000. Wow is all I can say. Except for a rusted through coolant pipe (damaged when hit by rock kicked up underneath) $0.00 in repairs. Maintenance so far; 1 tune-up at 100,000 brakes and tires at 25,000 and 60,000 intervals. I'm not easy on this. It's my daily driver, 50 mile RT commute in bumper to bumper traffic, all types of weather with Snow & Ice. Never a problem. Great control, Comfortable seats, Fantastic stereo, As good as any import. Tranny shifts Perfect, engine still like new, no loss of oil or coolant. Runs quiet Starts quick every time. Lots of room for dad, mom, 4 teenagers and our stuff. Interior still like new

Dodge transmission problems
By dodge van dies again on 07/26/08 13:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this van used with 35K, run as a second car till October '07. replaced tranny in march '07 with 61k. under warranty (rebuilt transmission). Tranny goes down again last week with 102K. Dodge won't warranty this rebuilt tranny more than 36K because it was worked on in March, In may they warranty for 80K. I'm looking at $3400 for replacement tranny. The warranty dept. (in India) is telling me tough luck, NYC Chrysler dealer tells me the same( that's where it blew). My sister-in laws T&C is on its 2nd tranny too ( same vintage). Got rust on hood and rear quarter panels, Chrysler won't recover because their not rusted through! Come on Chrysler stand by your products!

Not Complaining
By Paul Bondy on 07/11/08 19:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Minivan Sport Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I previously owned a 98 Plymouth Voyager Expresso, just like a grand only shorty, had 140,000 km when I bought it used it as a service van with ladder racks loaded with equipment and ran all over N.A. till I quit contracting, ( around 210,00km) just changed the oil, great. converted back to a family vehicle 2 years ago and ran it up to 268,00 km 2 weeks ago, only put tires on it, brake job and one rear window motor used $40. It's been great 2 weeks ago finally blew a water pump $89 new, 2 hrs labor, big deal! 1 serp belt $40 total cost bought used at 5000 tires 400 brakes 400 water pump 89 serp belt 40 window motor 40 Grand total $5969.00 Canadian Great Van! Just Bought 2001 Grand Love it!