Used 2003 Chrysler Town and Country Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chrysler Town-and-country - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:

Served me Well for Eleven Years
By latsyrch

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LXi Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I just traded in my 2003 T&C with 122,000 miles on it. For all the horrible reviews on this model over the years, this van served me well for 11 years. I think I had it serviced ONE time for anything other than normal maintenance and oil changes. The leather interior is still in excellent shape, the exterior wore well also. That said, I would NOT buy this van used. When I turned mine in the back hatch would fall at inopportune times onto my head, the power windows were failing, and the transmission was both sounding and acting wonky. Gas mileage was horrible.

Favorite Features

Leather upholstery Push button (on key fob) lock and hatch lift Four captains chairs Very comfortable on long road trips Lots of storage behind third row seat Third row seat long enough to lie down on

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage was poor Transmission would whine

What a Lemon
By jerseyraised

2003 Chrysler Town and Country Limited AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the van 9 months ago. Recently a 10amp fuse blew causing the van to shut down. That same night after it was fixed the speedometer quit working. Now the van jerks while I'm driving it and the speedometer flies all the way to 120mph. Mechanic replaced speed sensor, that didn't fix it I've had it to him 3 times he finally told me he doesn't know what's wrong with it and he does not want to work on it anymore. I'm praying it's not the transmission (mechanic does not think it is). It has 118,500 miles on it. I hate this van. The drivers seat sits to high, the power window is getting ready to go I would not wish this van on my worse enemy.

Favorite Features

I really can't think of any. Can't even say the radio because all of the stations have static on them. I guess I'd say the DVD player since the kid's love it.

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler should read what people are saying about this van and fix those issues. Seems the transmission and speed sensors are a big problem with them just from what I have been reading.

2003 Limited AWD
By jimj8

2003 Chrysler Town and Country Limited AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van new in 2003. Has all the bells and whistles, DVD system, power everything, leather 3.8L engine etc. It has been a great vehicle for us. We are just coming up on 200,000 miles and have had very few problems. We have done the brakes once. Just replaced the water pump ( for a whole $120!), other than that just put fuel in it and drive. Fit and finish is still good. Only hardware problem is the left side power sliding door. The clutch is out in it and so it is hard to open manually. It will open under power if you give it a tug. Leather seats are still perfect and still comfortable. We have gotten about 19 MPG.

Not thrilled
By spenc618

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LXi Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this van for 3 years now.. new transmission which AAMCO said is very common on this vehicle. Have that checked before you purchase. Now it is leaking fluid from underneath and the steering is horrible.. hopefully both symptoms are the same issue. More to follow on the issue and the price to repair and how common it is. Mine and most I run into have the hood paint peeling bad. I wouldn't purchase again. Would probably go with the Honda if I could have a mulligan.

Favorite Features

Comfortable. Storage room. good power.

Suggested Improvements

RELIABILITY, Paint quality

Not that bad
By a

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LX Family Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van in June of 2004. It had some miles on it but I don’t remember how many. It now has almost 170,000 miles on it. Something leaked and ruined the carpet on the front passenger side. The electronic switch in the windows went bad making it stick occasionally – it would decide when it wanted to start working again. It has only left me stranded once, and that was because the battery died without warning and wouldn’t hold a charge. We replaced the battery and it kept on ticking. This van is quite reliable and I never worry about getting stranded. The driver seat and the front passenger seat is not comfortable either.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seat for the driver would be very helpful. It would also be helpful if I could adjust the seat up and down instead of just forward and backward.