2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:
The Best Car EVER
By limartinez on 11/28/14 19:22 PM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got my PT in 2006, when it had only 57 miles on it. It has 156,000 miles on it. I have pushed it to its limits and then some. I moved from WI to TX and hauled 9x its max load pulling a trailer. The car did not give out not even when I knew I broke the engine. Literally. Never did it leave me or my family on the side of the road. Best Car I have Ever Owned. I rebuilt the old engine and purrrrrs like a kitty....

pleasant surprise
By kb5868 on 05/13/14 08:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2005 PT in 2007 with 11k miles as a 16th birthday gift for my daughter, with the plan it would get her through college and then "throw it away". Well, now at 50k miles and 7 years later, this has been the most trouble free car ever. The plan was to sell it and use the proceeds on a new car, but it still looks and drive as new, she still loves it and for the $5000-6000 it's worth, is still half what I paid 7 years ago. Huge value in my mind.

Throw away car ? Not !
By 1924 on 05/05/14 15:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In '02 my TC by Maserati blew up/quit. After some time/research, I went to my Mopar dealer & told him I wanted a "Throw away car" I could abuse for 5 years hauling a 500 lb. show display & inventory. So, I ordered a brand new base PT Cruiser w/ disc. brakes (safety), radio upgrade, and cruise control. I've hauled most everything: show display, bricks, '38 car fenders, most all yard stuff, etc. Problem - I liked it. Added fog/driving lights & que ball shifter knob (4 spd.). Then, 16" mag wheels & tires. Next, replaced seats w/ some leather ones from a limited. Finished w/ a used Borla stainless exhaust. @ 84,000 mi. I've done the brakes, shift cable, shocks & struts, & drive shafts.

No More Blues!
By garcande on 10/24/13 15:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Well, it's finally fixed. I have a convertible again! You'll recall from my last review that I was still waiting for the parts from Chrysler which may/ or not come in December. I decided to search the web again for rebuilt parts. I finally found a company in Oregon that rebuilds the cylinders better than new. Better yet, they have an exchange policy that allows you to get the new parts up front and return the old ones for a credit. The Chrysler service team actually had to call them to find out how to install them, as they only know how to replace the complete unit (which you can't get)! I must say they were very helpful and I'm sure they never want to see me again. That's all for now!

More Blues from Chrysler
By garcande on 09/27/13 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Well folks, I'm still waiting for the convertible top motor. I had to pay $762.00 back in June before they would order the part and they still can't say when it will come in. It's missed two due dates and now they're saying December, maybe. They can't give me an explanation, either. Other than that the car has been running fine, though I only drive 10 miles a day to and from work. That's all for now.

Still Got the PT Cruiser Blues
By garcande on 05/31/13 20:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Hi, it's me again. I've already told you about the AC going out and the top not going up or down. Now, after I picked it up from the mechanic the last time it started making a thumping noise in the front right. I thought it was something the mechanic had done, but no, it was the right front motor mount! Now, Chrysler recommends you PULL the engine to replace the mount, but my man said he didn't have to do that. Only cost $700 this time. And by the way, he said, there were only 2 out of 4 bolts holding the mount on and that's why it broke! Also only 2 out 4 bolts on the power steering pump at only 27K miles! To be continued...

The PT Cruiser Blues
By garcande on 05/24/13 22:45 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I recently purchased a beautiful 05 Cruiser Touring Convertible with only 26,000 one owner miles. I bought it from the local Lexus dealer who said it was a trade in. It looks immaculate and garage kept. I had driven about 1000 miles when the electric top riser went out. I took it to my mechanic, he tinkered around with it, but said it wasn't his area of expertise and he was going on vacation. The next day the air conditioner went out. I took it to another mechanic and it was the compressor, of course, and cost $1200 to fix. By contrast, the air on my 96 VW just went at 15K miles! And, I still haven't fixed the top. To be continued...

Great car!!!
By benjamincmh on 04/25/13 23:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I drove this car from ohio to San Diego california with no issues love this car I brought it used with over 80,000 miles on it almost a year ago and drove it recently from ohio to california I never changed anything or had any issues car is great !!!

second times a charm?
By apodpaula on 01/23/13 15:38 PM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new and loved it, since then not so much. At 30K had to have motor replaced because of bad head. At 40K, needed rear end work, now at 58K I find out I have to have motor replaced/rebuilt for a second time due to a oil leak in the head gasket. I'm told by the dealership that it will be covered. We will see. After it was fixed the first time, I tried to fall in love with it again, but the honeymoon is over.

2005 PT Cruiser Turbo 5speed....
By smokinghalo on 09/14/12 09:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

LOVE this car. I bought it to replace my falling apart 1998 Honda Accord. Sure I've had some mechanical issues with it, but nothing that's left me stranded. Car came with the extended Chrysler Gold Plan that covered the front control arms (common problem, the bushings like to fail), the oil pressure switch (common failure in a LOT of Mopars) and the front wheel bearings. I work for a dealer so I know the issues these have (multifunction switch, wiper nozzles like to die, but the biggest problem was the control arms. The A/C suction line died too but that was also covered under warranty. Gas mileage sucks, but hey, it's a 220HP turbo monster convertible!