1998 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
First And Only Car
By eschaefer1 on 11/29/11 08:47 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Love this car, I got it as a 16th birthday gift from my mother, it had 150k miles on it and it now has 167k miles. put new battery, serpentine belt and all new pumps, plugs, and wires in it along with new intake manifold gaskets ($400-$600) and new Moda MD9 Rims. easily maintainable except for battery removal, which is a pain to get out. only major problem in whole car is small rust spot under gas cap, couple dents on fenders and rack and pinion needs replaced ($400-$800) depending on where you go. after 12 years thats amazing to me, even after i ditched it, which didnt seem to phase it internally. 100% recommended to anyone wanting a cheap, affordable gas sipping (21-32MPG) 4 door sedan.

Wondering what to do....
By carrisa_lumina on 03/07/11 08:49 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for about 5 years now, it has about 75,000 miles on it (the odometer stopped working at 35,000) I am trying to decide whether or not to fix this car up to keep it or buy a newer car. I havent had any major problems with this car, fuel pump(twice), the ignition stopped working so I had to have a push button start installed, and a starter, also the AC doesnt work. I was just looking to see what I should do with the car... it needs to have the transmission serviced, oil changed, new tires, and when I try to start it sometimes it skips and doesnt catch right away. Also the AC doesnt wor

I love this car
By Michael S. Terrell on 06/02/10 10:33 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

There is nothing wrong with our lumina, yeah she has had a few engine mishaps in her time but we drive her all the time. She's 12 years old and over 170,000 miles but still runs great. I don't need her for speed just get me where I'm going. Great on gas for long distances. Drove her from NY to Texas, then to California a few times, Arizona also. My wife wants an rv, that's fine. I plan on a new Chevy Lumina someday. She needs a wash and wax, and in/out cleaning but still looks great, rides great. Boo yahh!

It Keeps On Going
By ddrhj on 02/06/10 13:01 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

This is my first and only car, but it has been a great one. After 115,000 miles, it's reliability and performance are still wonderful. The fuel mileage has hovered around 30 miles/gallon over the life of the car and the maintenance has been extremely minimal.

98 lumina
By Terry on 01/13/10 21:40 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Great car, most trouble free, great gas mileage(21-24 town,32-34highway), most comfortable car for traveling coast to coast we have ever owned. Jan. 2010 timing chain cover gasket gave out,will fix and drive. This car now has 203,000 miles on it. Other than the gasket we have only had to fix the battery, starter and alternator.

reliable, comfortable cruiser
By Pete on 11/22/09 14:57 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Bought this as a used, first car for a new driver due to good crash test ratings. Over the 5 yrs we have had it, I am impressed with the comfortable, quiet ride and high overall reliability and low operating costs.. Highly recommended..

Boaty-
By NickoSweetConfidence on 11/07/09 07:55 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought my Lumina from my boyfriends mom in November of 2008. It had 180,000 miles when I got it, now has 215,000. I'm the second owner. I have had to fix some minor issues here and there but the car is amazing. Takes it like i give it. I have no disappointments in the way it drives or handles. Incredibly reliable. Gas mileage is pretty good, without sacrificing power, which is great with today's economy. I recommend this car to anyone looking for a roomy, comfortable, reliable vehicle.

I want a new car!!!!
By luminassuck on 09/20/09 14:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought my lumina in October 2008 and I have already had an oil and radiator leak. The gas mileage is horrible, it's a very loud car with no power and it seems every time I go and get my oil changed they tell me another thing wrong with it. The interior is falling apart and on a rainy day the interior fogs up horribly, even with defrost on. I hate my car.

very good car
By augie on 05/16/09 22:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

We picked the car out for my mother - in- law in 1999 with 15001 miles on it. She wanted a 6 passenger car so she could drive her bridge playing pals around. Out of about 10 of them she and the Lumina are the only ones still around. She doesn't drive anymore so it's now the #4 vehicle in a 3 driver family. I'm going to put on its first new set of tires and probably keep it for another 10 years.

Overall a good car
By Joe on 04/29/09 07:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I've put 15,000 miles on it (127k now) since I bought it. It's a base model, but it has power options and keyless entry - big plus. Interior design is the best part: simple. 3 gauges, 3 climate knobs, and not much more. Standard GM controls work well. Car has tiny spots of rust behind wheels, but that's expected with age. I've gotten 33mpg going 68 on the highway in calm weather, but I get < 20 in the city. This car has adequate power, but who wants adequate? The 3100 has enough grunt to make your heart race when you push it from a stoplight, and it works okay for passing on the highway. Drivers side visor clip and rear passenger window button broke, but they're not important.