Used 1998 Chevrolet Lumina Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Lumina

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

First And Only Car
By eschaefer1

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Love this car, I got it as a 16th birthday gift from my mother, it had 150k miles on it and it now has 167k miles. put new battery, serpentine belt and all new pumps, plugs, and wires in it along with new intake manifold gaskets ($400-$600) and new Moda MD9 Rims. easily maintainable except for battery removal, which is a pain to get out. only major problem in whole car is small rust spot under gas cap, couple dents on fenders and rack and pinion needs replaced ($400-$800) depending on where you go. after 12 years thats amazing to me, even after i ditched it, which didnt seem to phase it internally. 100% recommended to anyone wanting a cheap, affordable gas sipping (21-32MPG) 4 door sedan.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, Durability, Easily Maintainable, Safety, Affordability, Sporty look with the hood lines

Suggested Improvements

Battery Removal, Possibly more power but 189hp seems to work fine for day to day

Wondering what to do....
By carrisa_lumina

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for about 5 years now, it has about 75,000 miles on it (the odometer stopped working at 35,000) I am trying to decide whether or not to fix this car up to keep it or buy a newer car. I havent had any major problems with this car, fuel pump(twice), the ignition stopped working so I had to have a push button start installed, and a starter, also the AC doesnt work. I was just looking to see what I should do with the car... it needs to have the transmission serviced, oil changed, new tires, and when I try to start it sometimes it skips and doesnt catch right away. Also the AC doesnt wor

Favorite Features

Great pick up, rides smooth

Suggested Improvements

My car is pretty basic and doesnt have a cd player.

I love this car
By Michael S. Terrell

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

There is nothing wrong with our lumina, yeah she has had a few engine mishaps in her time but we drive her all the time. She's 12 years old and over 170,000 miles but still runs great. I don't need her for speed just get me where I'm going. Great on gas for long distances. Drove her from NY to Texas, then to California a few times, Arizona also. My wife wants an rv, that's fine. I plan on a new Chevy Lumina someday. She needs a wash and wax, and in/out cleaning but still looks great, rides great. Boo yahh!

Favorite Features

comfortable riding and driving, trunk space is great also

Suggested Improvements

need to find brighter lights than offered, tried a few halogens and not as bright as some of the newer sports cars or trucks and CLEAR headlight covers..those opaque covers cut back on the brightness,especially on really dark roads

It Keeps On Going
By ddrhj

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

This is my first and only car, but it has been a great one. After 115,000 miles, it's reliability and performance are still wonderful. The fuel mileage has hovered around 30 miles/gallon over the life of the car and the maintenance has been extremely minimal.

Favorite Features

It's true fuel economy and reliability. This car has never let me down besides a couple of battery issues over it's lifetime.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility is somewhat poor for shorter drivers. Clearing the back windshield of ice or fog takes a long time due to air circulation pattern.

98 lumina
By Terry

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Great car, most trouble free, great gas mileage(21-24 town,32-34highway), most comfortable car for traveling coast to coast we have ever owned. Jan. 2010 timing chain cover gasket gave out,will fix and drive. This car now has 203,000 miles on it. Other than the gasket we have only had to fix the battery, starter and alternator.