Used 1996 Chevrolet Impala Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Impala Sedan - Consumer Reviews

SS 5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic - (56 reviews )

Best car in the nation besides Camry!
By jg1

1996 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan

I bought my SS with 89000 miles on it in 2005. This is a great car. Took it on trips no problem. Everybody always asking me do I want to sell it. The best big body car ever made. Runs real strong and lasts with the best of them.

Big body, stock rims, and all the space inside the car.

None

Frank
By Frank

1996 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan

Ive always loved this car since I was a kid, Now I own two and I'm planning on owning another one. This car is great for people who want to keep it stock and got enough aftermarket parts to make and all out weekend warrior. Love the looks.I get compliments from all ages of people .

The LT1 stout engine. The grey leather enterior, and the design of the Impala SS

To have had and option between factory 3.08s- 3.73 rear end gears!

Pauls 96 SS
By Pauls96ss

1996 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan

I love this car! I have owned this car for 11.5 years. This car won runner up at the 2003 Super Chevy Show and many first, second, and third place trophies at other car shows and bracket racing events. Odometer is at 148,000 miles and I would not hesitate to take it on a cross country trip.

My favorite features are bad boy looks and the powerful engine. Simple mods easily net an additional 40 horse power dyno proven!

None.

A fun car
By ss355

1996 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan

Bought mine with 8 miles on the clock. Now has over 165K. It's been a fun car to drive. A few quirks, certainly, but overall I've really enjoyed the car. Not '96 Supra Turbo fast, but certainly enough ummph to get on the highway with no trouble and impress a few teenagers. Fantastic car for the highway. Plenty of room for the whole family. Large trunk. Reasonable back road performance, given the 4000+ lb. curb weight. The air pump (emissions control) and water pump have been headaches, but otherwise a fairly reliable car. Plan to drive this one till it drops.

Engine power, rear wheel drive, exterior styling (particularly the wheels), rear passenger comfort, power seats, maintenance access in engine bay, availability of many aftermarket accessories

Reliable water pump, better factory stereo, manual tranny option (aftermarkets are available--$$$$), slightly stiffer sway bars, more supportive driver's seat (I'm tall, and the backrest hits me wrong; needs more side bolster)

My '96 SS
By Bill L.

1996 Chevrolet Impala Sedan SS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for almost eight years, and will continue to drive it until GM comes up with a sucessor. It is amazing for anything this big and heavy to be either as nimble or quick, yet comfortable as an old shoe. It is unfortunate that we are both getting older.

All of it.

Windows that work. Odometer that works.