A Legend That Isn't Fully Justified
By OneOwner on
1995 Chevrolet Impala SS 4dr Sedan
My car was the show car at the Philadelphia Int'l Auto Show in 1995. I tried to get a discount, but the dealer insisted on the MSRP, which I paid. At the time, I thought it was the best looking 4-door car for sale. In many ways, it still is. And it does turn heads, even today. Since is from the General's stable, getting parts is easy, and generally cheap. At first, the Comp T/A tires were hard to find, but now you can get MUCH better Kumho tires for less than $80 each. One thing that is unfortunate is that, my car being the "rarest, a 1995 DGGM", you cannot get the paint from the dealer or AutoColor anymore to fill chips. Rear seat room is poor, as are the quality of the interior.
Favorite Features
This car "fits" me well. It looks good, it sounds good, it drives down the highway well. You can get replacement parts pretty much anywhere, even the Internet, for reasonable prices. The front seats are comfortable and fairly adjustable, and I love the tilt wheel.
Suggested Improvements
Overall, build quality is poor. The multiple gray plastics inside the car turn different colors. The bumper and rear spoiler paint fade. Meticulous maintenance didn't prevent my LT1 from seizing at 155,000 miles. GM probably won't ever build another car like the SS, which won't be a big loss.