2011 4 AWD Equinox MPG TERRIBLE FALSE ADVERTISING
By midilink on
2011 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
I'm 60 years old. I've been around and have worked on cars ALL my life. I presently collect and restore my own muscle cars, have about 40. I bought this Equinox hoping to get at least NEAR the advertised MPG which is does not. I've yet to get 22 MPG. I phoned GM and was told to give it 3500-5000 miles and mileage should increase. I understand the computer controls the break in period and this are supposed to improve, but at 3800 miles so far they have not. I don't want any suggestions or reasons, I know them all, believe me. I'm going to take a loss and get rid of this car and get something else this week. I would be willing to start a class action law suit if there are any attorneys reading
Suggested Improvements
When designing this car, in order to build them for the most fuel efficiency, GM closed the grill and got good results in the air tunnel tests. One of the problems with such aerodynamics is that you door and hood seals better be really good. I've found that in the case of the 2011 Equinox they are not. Road grime and salt get into the engine compartment as well as all four side doors. This allows salt or road deposits to sit and corrode your vehicle. Also, the metal on the roof is so thin it's unbelievable. Do not leave this car out even if there is the chance of light hail or you will be sorry.
By stilllooking4
on 05/22/12 14:31 PM (PDT)

I purchased my 2011 Equinox in 09/2011. It has approximately 7200 miles on it. The mpg is horrible. It's my first Chevrolet and probably my last. Our mpg is ranging from 16.5 to 18 with mostly combined in-town/hwy driving. We've taken it on long road trips Portland, OR to Seattle, WA and got about 21. We always have "econ" on and use cruise control. If we coast downhills we might get 19 mpg. We're looking at trading it in and taking a loss, but haven't yet found anything that we would seriously consider. We're a a bit gun-shy about making another expensive mistake.

By steve19666
on 05/15/11 12:42 PM (PDT)

It only took a week and 1300 miles to realize GM pulled the wool over my eyes! I drove all highway, kept under 70 mph and the best I was able to get was 25.7 mpg. I paid too much for this vehicle based on better miliage - I feel pretty cheated!

By mhoses
on 03/06/11 14:39 PM (PST)

Yah, i completely agree with you Midilink! I bought this car for many reasons and yes i still love it, but...... The gas mileage on it is horrendous. I cant believe how low it actually is. I drive the car as softly and gently as i can trying to maximize mileage but to no avail. About the class action lawsuit.... I would be very interested, at least to get my money back... I do not want to pay this much in gas for the next 5 years or so...

By sonnyh777
on 02/13/11 13:37 PM (PST)

great! Deb, let me know if you need other complaints regarding poor mpg. The best I could get was 24 mpg hwy. I am very upset that I spent $30,000.00 for something that was advertised @32 mpg. I always received better mpg then was posted on other vehicles. I gave up my Impala which gave me 32/34 hwy miles and it was a 6 cyl. Sonny