2012 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Review: I never set out to buy a Chevr

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan - Consumer Review

I never set out to buy a Chevrolet Cruze
By southlandhb on

2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I did not have the intention to buy this car. However, I did have the intention of test driving and exploring a broad mix of vehicles across many makes and vehicle classes. So I drove a lot of cars from Audi to Volkswagen, because like excellent Italian food- you can't know how close or how far you are until you've tasted the good stuff! That said, the Cruze unexpectedly met my expectations offering what I felt was an excellent balance of features, driving dynamics all at a very fair price.

The Cruze has many thoughtful features- fully automatic lighting, remote starting (with heating and cooling), backup sensors, power seat, one touch windows, and interior styling that rivals cars costing thousands more. Compared to many other brands, the electric steering has excellent feel, and the turbo engine is zippy, yet quiet- so smooth and quiet at idle you sometimes wonder if it's running. The ride is taut, but pleasantly absorbs road imperfections and blocks noise. Then there are the more subtle niceties like soft open/close grab handles, glove box, easy to use radio, multiple cup holders, trunk grab handle, triple sealed doors, and other hidden gems. There's a lot to like here.

Driver Information center controls are on the turn signal stalk. Once you learn how to use it- it's not hard, but it's not intuitive and has plenty of room for improvement. Some might feel the seats are a tad firm- and the back seat is snug on knee room for some. I did have an issue with my iPhone 5 not syncing with the radio and being able play music consistently. Typical troubleshooting didn't help- if you experience this- have them check the module between the radio and USB. They replaced the one in mine and it's been perfect since. If the Cruze proves to be reliable, the paint stays as glorious as it is (the blue topaz gets a lot of compliments) I'll be very happy for years to come.