2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
2009 Chevy Cobalt
By kayly on 02/12/15 17:45 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving my cobalt for the last two years with out any significant problems. This is the first and only car I have ever had, and it has served me well. I find it to be very comfortable, even for long car rides. I especially enjoy how quick it accelerates. ;) In my opinion the vehicle has held up really well against all my wear and tear.

BUY AN LT IF POSSIBLE.
By unicornrides on 03/18/14 22:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a follow up to my last review (which I cannot edit) on this car.. This is a scatter-brained review from someone who was used to a V6 engine. **NOTE: I mod my cars. This car has no major mods, yet. I use my car for: work, travel, picking up dudes.** In 2012 I bought my 09 LS Coupe (base everything- even fake hubcaps!) mostly for the the price (22k miles and under $7.5k.) Second car. THIS CAR IS STRONG. I have put over 25k miles on it in under 3 years.. and have driven it off-road, over things I can't identify but sound like explosions, etc.. and it hasn't affected it at all.

Best Car
By chevygirl21 on 03/05/13 22:04 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car! Before this car I had a 2008 Dodge Caliber and I am so happy that i traded it. I recently got in an accident with it and it did not cost me more than 500 bucks to fix it myself! and it still runs awesome just like it did before! The manual transmission in it too makes it so much fun to drive and race others all the time cause im first off the line. Fuel economy is great my tank will last me two weeks and im driving everyday to school and work and its only 45 bucks to fill her up. Wouldnt trade her for anything

Few Problems
By javaanimal on 06/25/12 12:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Speakers are.. well, they're there. LS Coupe is considered a sports car (Grr..) and it lacks a lot of power my 2000 Malibu had. The front of it is dated.. but the body itself is magnificent. It says 25 mpg BUT my readings say 23. The LS I purchased has no cruise control or power windows/doors. BUT. For the price of this car, it's great. Fun fun to drive once you get up in mph and it hugs the curves with its spoiler. Breaks are great, it turns heads, and you get away with people believing you're in a sports car. This is NOT for tall/wide people. It's a very narrow car. It is GREAT for safety- everything is solid.

Fun First Car
By mizmwise on 03/12/12 18:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cobalt new and have put 56,000 miles on it. I love it! I'm religious about servicing it and have had zero mechanical problems. I get 40 mpg highway easily. For a relatively inexpensive car it handles great and has decent power. I live where it gets cold as hell in the winter and it starts every morning, and it does alright on the snow and ice. There is pretty limited storage space, and the blindspots are pretty significant. Everything seems pretty solid still. Of course there are little rattles here and there, but nothing crazy. Everything has stayed pretty tight and sealed up. The ride on the highway is smooth and fairly quiet. Overall, I think this is an awesome car!

Snowing in July?? Paint is flaking everywhere!
By blueextc3221 on 08/01/11 07:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased NEW 2009 Garage kept Cobalt LT Black coupe. After only 6 months - clearcoat on aluminum rims bubbling and flaking. Steering wheel/system rattles & thunks over small bumps after about 10K miles (same problem as my '06). Recall "fix" made no difference. I Drive a lot. 64K of today's writing... just noticed a half-dollar sized area of paint bubbling on the roof.... and chrome on the inside passenger door handle that is NEVER used is bubbling. I know I drive a bunch - but these are cosmetic issues GM will not cover after 36K warranty is up. I have 36K in the first 6 months!! Cheap car with cheap plastic parts - and paint issues not isolated to Cobalt. Black is bad on Camaros too.

Cheap parts but reliable ride
By Barbara57 on 10/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

LT 2 sport coupe review: sexy car+reliable under the hood+exterior panels were loose+interior steering wheel neck was broken+new leather seats wouldn't move forward+steering ratio limited>tire too big for wheel space, difficulty making U turns or parking+gas mileage not so good for small car

Good little car
By A decent car on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This little ecotec engine rocks. It can outrun most comparable cars on the market in its stock form. (we know because a lot of younger people want to race it for some reason). It is a basic little car with a lot of power. We have never have had a problem with it in 15,000 miles.

A Great First Car, Easy Manual
By redschecter on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe XFE 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car back in May as my first car. I had to learn how to drive stick, but this car was easy to learn on. This car is fun and comfortable to drive and, in my opinion, looks much nicer than any other vehicle in this price range. I'm only 5'11" and I hit my head on the ceiling while sitting in the back but who cares, I wont ever have to sit back there, she's mine. The biggest issue I've had so far was with the dashboard, after six weeks it started rattling loudly. My local dealer said the problem was with the original design of the dashboard, which causes it to warp, and they improvised a solution. Of course, the repair was free. A dash-mat will make the interior look much nicer.

2009 Cobalt LS #2 Automatic coupe
By Jim on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Loved the first 2009 Cobalt I bought in January, bought a second one. Different color same equipment. Same ride, same great mileage, this one has a spare tire and spoiler- luxury. 36 mpg hwy with the automatic- measured on fill-ups, not the trip computer in the car (which shows 33.8 avg.)