2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan 2.2L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

LT Sedan (2.2L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
Terrible vehicle
By cindt on 01/20/15 21:33 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my daughter in 2007 and it was horrible. The interior was cheap plastic and paint chipped off the radio buttons making it look terrible. Initially, it had mechanical failures that the dealer wouldn't fix under warranty. I don't know why: maybe getting over on my teenage daughter. It had recalls that I tried to have fixed a few years later, but the dealer refused to fix them because they said it wasn't worth fixing (by then it was about 6 years old). I complained to Chevrolet and they wouldn't do anything either, so I guess they don't stand by their vehicles. Owning this car turned this Chevy family away from buying Chevy cars....at least for a few years.

A terrible, terrible excuse for a car
By shadetreegiant on 01/03/15 21:18 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I finally traded in my 2005 Cobalt, and I couldn't be happier. The engine and transmission are good, but the rest of the car is absolute junk. The body has several spots of rust bubbling up through the paint. The interior of this car is made of the same plastic used to construct VHS tapes. The suspension is miserable and unsafe. Oh yeah, I almost forgot... Nearly all Cobalts will have a clunking noise coming from the steering column. That's because the steering column uses a plastic gear that breaks in EVERY Cobalt. At idle, the engine rattles loudly. The blower motor has chirped since 40,000 miles. The door handles are painted with chrome paint that flakes off and stabs me.

ignition recall
By wuzzle on 05/06/14 11:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

my 2005 cobalt has 67000 miles they replaced the ignition within one week my car caught fire and does not run gm and the dealership say not thier fault how can a car with only 67000 miles never any problems always maintained go to a dealership for a recall and then not even run

Clunking and rattling everywhere...beware
By edgexpro on 10/09/13 18:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2005 Cobalt with only 67,000 miles on it. Since 40,000 miles there has been a horrible clunking in the front and rear suspension as well as a rattle from the steering column. I have taken it to a GM dealer and told to replace the struts, which I did with an independent shop, as well as sway bar links and bushings. This did not help anything and since then it has gotten significantly worse. Today, I replaced the lower control arms and that didn't help either. The moral of the story is this shouldn't happen on a car with lower miles.

Worst Car I've Ever Owned/Driven
By apex32 on 08/04/12 06:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Just purchased this from ailing grandma. I've driven and owned both American and foreign cars. Long and short of it, a '99 Ford Focus with 190Kmiles and a broken head gasket drives better than the cobalt with less than 16K miles on it. The car's braking is unresponsive and frighteningly unsafe on the interstate and city. The power steering is more of a suggestion than an actual option. Terrible understeer. Most days I can only attempt to "guide" it rather than steer it. It's a small cramped vehicle and I'm 5'5 150lbs, no features, uncomfortable, unsafe to drive, and no Anti-Lock Breaks? What is this? The 1980's? Seems like ABS should be a standard safety feature as of 2005.

Gas King
By winglimit on 06/27/12 10:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my Cobalt since 2007 and the only major problem I've had was my fault (dinged the oil pan). Replaced the engine for less than $1,000 and was back on the road again. Gas mileage is unparalleled. I usually get 35mpg+, sometimes up to 40mpg on long trips. I drive the hell out of this car and it never skips a beat. My largest complaints are aesthetic: the model I have (2005 sedan, energy blue) looks cheapish. The interior seats aren't the most comfortable, but it's really only noticeable from the passenger side. >) As this car ages, a few benign electrical problems have popped up, but nothing serious. Great value if you're looking for a cheap investment and long-term savings.

I have a orange 2005 chevy and i love it
By tricia23sc on 01/24/12 11:32 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I am 23 years old and bought my car when i was 21. I have never had a issue with it except for the basics to keep it in good shape. I live in south carolina and the back roads aren't rough on my car but i do live in florida as well and the heat doesnt ruin the paint job. It gets great highway mileage as well as city, it costs me 40 bucks to fill up with gas prices $3.09 i am a college student so traveling is a must. If i was to recommend a car it would be this one! especially to any young driver or someone who wants a reliable car. My car has over 100,000 miles and still runs great since day one

Amazing car!
By amazing car! on 06/13/10 13:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car in April of this year. I'm a 16 year old girl and this is my first car. I have a 2 door lt orange car automatic w. Leather seats. I absolutely love this car! I couldn't have picked a better one! I love driving it and its very reliable. I haven't had anything go wrong with it which is good. But it is a great car for new drivers! I would definitely recommend this car!

Fun but Unreliable
By Elizabeth on 04/01/09 21:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my cobalt when I first got it; it was fun and easy to drive. After the first year or so, a lot started going wrong, however. In the past 2 years I've had to have 2 door handle replacements, the sunroof has gone offtrack twice, & in the past 4 months alone I've had to fix a leak coming from within the hood of the car (they had to remove the passenger seats & headlights to figure out where it was coming from -- cost about $500 to fix), 2 tired replacements (wear very easily), had an alignment, and got a new battery because it went completely dead. Also the cruise control decides when it wants to work.

Trustworthy
By John on 01/20/09 04:23 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This has been one my better vehicles ever. Except for a factory replacement of the fuel level sending unit a few days after purchase, (it wasn't gauging correctly), I've had no problems. My wife uses it for a 50 mile daily commute and it keeps on going. It still runs like brand new and drives as straight as new, hasn't needed an alignment as of yet.