Used 2014 Cadillac ELR Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Cadillac ELR - Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (4 reviews )

ELECTRIC LUXURY ROADSTER
By Gene

2014 Cadillac ELR 2dr Coupe (gas/electric hybrid DD)

That's what ELR stands for. Coming from a Volt, I found a 2014 with 9000 miles on it as a great "owners" car considering my lease is coming up very quickly. It's a head turner, people gather around it, they look, they stare and while it's OK with me, it gets unnerving after while. I watch where I park, especially at places like the supermarket, home depot, etc. It is rare to see on the road. It's a partner when you want to drive it in an economical fashion. It's FASTER than the Volt. It handles BETTER than the volt. Forget about passengers. Forget about lots of storage. I took my 65" TV home in my Volt. Forget about it with the ELR. It screams success, it's a very special car. I hate to drive it in the rain, I hate it when it gets dirty, I wax it all the time.

I get 40+ miles on EV alone. On gas, I dont compete with MPG as I just floor it. Engine sounds a bit loud, it's ok.

20's from the factory and it's all good.

Wow - Get One If You Can Find One
By BigW

2014 Cadillac ELR 2dr Coupe (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I'd never bought an electric car before, so I researched the heck out of this thing before I bought it. I probably read every review and watched every video review out there. Then I went out and drove the car. Going in, I expected it to be very much a mixed bag, with some big compromises I might be able to live with given the heavily discounted price.

What I found instead was an absolutely stellar car that just didn't fit the conventional narrative and has really slipped through the cracks.

Is it a modern sports car? No. But it has plenty of power, nice handling, etc. The disconnect between what some reviewers said and the car's actual performance was breathtaking. In the kind of driving we all do in the real world, it will give you absolutely nothing to complain about. It looks like it ought to be able to take on a Porsche 911 and it isn't that fast, but that is the only way in which the driving dynamics will disappoint you.

Is it a eco-warrior statement car? No. No one will actually realize that you are driving something that is better for the environment than a Prius. So people who want to wear that on their sleeves will hate it because it doesn't make an eco-statement. Also, it is far too plush and luxurious to give off that "I'm sacrificing for the good of the planet" vibe.

Is it a traditional luxury car? Not really. It is much more sporty and nimble than a traditional luxury car. The ride is smooth and well-composed, not floaty at all. However, the interior is all luxury car, and the levels of quiet are better than any luxury car I've ever seen.

What it really is, is a car purpose-built for the real and relatively uninteresting driving we actually do in the real world. You don't need a huge V8 to putter along in commuter traffic. You don't need a bone-crushing suspension that handles well but beats you up every mile when you only see those twisty car commercial roads in car commercials.

In the real world, quiet matters. In the real world, power matters but only up to a point. In the real world, handling and ride quality need to be thoughtfully balanced. In the real world, you shouldn't waste gas getting to work, even when it is cheap. The ELR does every one of those things well, all while looking absolutely amazing.

Yes, the backseat is tiny. Yes, it should not have sold for $80k initially. But that is about as far as the legitimate criticisms go.

With gas prices low, these things are selling for absolutely absurd prices. They are very rare, so finding one can be a challenge. But if you land one, you will end up with an amazing bargain.

The Ultimate Commuter Car
By profrob

2014 Cadillac ELR 2dr Coupe (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The ELR makes my commute so much nicer. It is quiet, it is smooth, it has an amazing sound system, and it's economical. Without too much effort, I can make my 40 mile round trip on electric only. This isn't a fun car you want to rip up mountain roads in; that's not what it's designed to do. It's designed to cart you around town in a quiet, luxurious cocoon that is still responsive and fun to drive.
Having the engine backup is vital. There's no way I could do an EV with less than 100 miles of range without being constantly paranoid that I'd run out of juice. The ELR solves that problem. You can milk the batteries for all they've got, then the motor kicks in to keep you going.

This car does almost everything for me. From rain-sensing wipers to auto-dimming high beams, all the little details are handled. My favorite feature is the brake paddles on the steering wheel. They're in the same position you'd expect to find paddle shifters on a regular car, but you can squeeze these and slow the car in traffic or going down a hill, and charge your battery at the same time. They're actually fun, once you get the hang of it, and add an interesting driving dynamic that you don't really have on other cars.

I paid $61,000 for my ELR, and at that price, I thought it was a good deal. Trying to push these off the lot at $80,000 is just insane. Cadillac should have priced them better. It would be nice to have more electric range.

ELR beats Tesla S hands down!!
By rowley123

2014 Cadillac ELR 2dr Coupe (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I wanted a luxury electric car and thought Tesla was the way to go UNTIL I saw the CADILLAC ELR.
This car is the way to go if you are looking for a high end electric car that is fun to drive and practical.
The all electric cars concerned me since you HAD to plan a long distance trip around charging.
The ELS, however has a 9 gallon gas tank there to power the generator to make more electricity- how awesome is that!!! (It is NOT a hybrid with a gasoline engine).
My only fault is with the rear seat size - but lets face it, the population that drives an ELR is not running kids to dance lessons - you are way past that! (or have a mini van for the "family car".)

The ride is very good and the controls are within reach for everything or voice activated. I am not a flashy person, but this car is a real "head turner". I live in a 'golf community' and you wouldn't believe how the folks on the course actually stop and look. I have yet to go ANYWHERE when someone has not stopped me and asked me about the car. The seating is a lot more comfortable than you would think especially when you are over 65 and question your ability to got in and out easily. There is nothing I don't love about this car!!!

Make people get in line for them and put down a large deposit to "reserve" one just like Tesla does and Cadillac will sell them like hotcakes. Make a decent commercial for the ELR - the one Cadillac ran during the Superbowl stunk. Explain this is NOT a gasoline engine hybrid but an electric car that can also be powered by gasoline - I have yet to use one drop, by the way.