Used 1999 Buick Century Custom Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Buick Century - Consumer Reviews

1999 Buick Century

View reviews for a specific Century model:

Most Helpful|
Decent
By combatdoc

1999 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Inside is boring as others have stated, nothing outstanding. Bought with 42K miles on it. Does start every time. Have had issues with intake manifold gasket 2 times. $600.00 each time to repair. Some bands in tranny broke at 142,000 miles, around $750.00 to repair. Went thru tires like water thru a siv. Had to have EVERYTHING replaced including struts and mounts. Have replaced every window motor, now 2 more are out. Replaced egr valve. Seems everything carbons up quickly, just have to make sure to use a good quality cleaner every thousand miles or so. At around 60,000 miles, anti-freeze jelled up and have to have radiator replaced, heater core removed and cleaned. cruise control broken.

Favorite Features

Seats are fairly comfortable, rides nice since everything has been replaced. Feels like a bigger car than what it is. Decent gas mileage, 31 on hiway. It's pretty much a grandpa's car, not sporty or fast.

Suggested Improvements

This car should have had a recall because of the window motors and anti-freeze jelling up causing costly repairs. I have found I can by the window motors on E bay for around 45 each and another 65 in labor. My ASE mechanic stated you can use regular anti freeze in these so switched over at 60K miles and no problem. Now have 210,000 miles on it and still going. Had remote start put on a few months ago and is really great.

my first real car
By hallnutz1

1999 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

bought it at 126,000 miles from an old dude here where i live in north east montana. all highway miles. thing was so quite that it was running and the only way i knew it was on was to pop the hood and see that the belt was spinning! im 20 and i love this car. the engine isnt a brute. but the car isnt that heavy either. its got enough power to do everything you need it to do. pull onto the interstate, get on it, and before you exit the ramp your up to 75. brakes are great. starts in -40 weather, seats you can fall asleep in (quite nice for the girlfriend also ;) haha) its a great car. you just gotta know how cars work and keep up on the matience and it will last forever.

Favorite Features

the noise the engine makes at wide open. it sounds way meaner than it is. my after-market stereo. the truck is just big enough to have 2 huge 1000W RMS subs, yet still be able to carry my winter supplies, tools, jack, shovel, and the groceries. i can get 40 MPG if i drive 55-60 the paint... its a purple that shifts to brown. confuses the cops haha but the car is just dead reliable and SO comfy. best riding car i have ever been in. a car like this is just fun to drive. your not going to hurt it (if you change the oil and wash/dry it after playing). you can drive it at wide open and not die, throw it in corners in gravel and it slides out predictable and controllable.

Suggested Improvements

power window tracks. they are a bad design. had to replace 2 of them. really easy and cheap fix however. the 3.1s were built loose, and they warm up to fit... so it sounds like it has lifter tick till it warms up. people sometimes point when i cold start it when its -20 out side. engine could use an extra 50 HP... but i could say that about a 500HP engine. i have more good things to... say ran out of room. anyway... this is my first real car i trust to go 450 miles with. its never left me stranded, its EASY to work on, cheap parts. and its super fun to drive. what more do you want?

My First Car
By rachel152

1999 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I have to say, driving a Buick Century for my 16th birthday wasn't the most stylish thing, but I loved it! This car has about 150,000 miles on it and has had no problems. (just a few minor things) The gas mileage is pretty decent in this car. The seats are unbelievably comfortable. The stereo works incredibly well and is loud. Drives wonderfully on the highway, and surprisingly does good in snow, etc. Back seats are comfortable and offer tons of room. I would actually recommend this car over the car I drive now (Jeep Liberty). This was my first car and I still loved it, and I'm sure I would buy one again if I had the choice.

Favorite Features

Good mpg, drives smoothly, comfortable interior

Never again
By Raymond

1999 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

I thought this was going to be a great car when i first got it, i was wrong. So many thing broke down on this car. All the windows stopped working, AC stopped blowing cold, Alternator gave out, intake manifold gaskets wore out, radiator went bad, brake lines rusted out, water pump went bad, wheel alignment is off wearing out tires very quickly. This car has been a real inconvenience and it only has 113k on it. I know many other people who have the same type of problems with their buicks. This car has been very unreliable, i don't trust it at all, and i sure as hell wouldn't recommend one. Seriously i'm never buying a GM product ever again.

Favorite Features

Comfy interior smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Too many

Way better than expected
By paul2002

1999 Buick Century Custom 4dr Sedan

Purchased this in 2007 when I had a vehicle emergency. Needed a car, and this was going for $3500 with only 89K miles. I figured I'd drive it until I found the car I was looking for. Now 5 years and 100K miles later I'm still driving it. It's going on 200K miles, and I still haven't had to replace anything! The miles I've put on it have been all highway, but it just won't die. Oil changes every 6000 miles, and one set of tires. I've done nothing else. Reliable and cheap if you are picking one up used, but a word of caution...don't purchase this car if you are around 40 years old. You are almost guaranteeing early onset of a mid-life crisis, which might result in your purchasing a Corvette.

Favorite Features

Great value when purchasing used. You know it was probably driven by a little old lady to church and back

Suggested Improvements

So boring, it needs to come with Rx coverage for Prozac.