28 of 6,691 people found this review helpful
Think twice before buying a 2013 X5
By ll45 on
2013 BMW X5 xDrive35i Premium 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)
This is my 3rd BMW and it is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I am an active mail and find it physically exhausting to drive because of the tight steering wheel. If your normal driving pattern includes a lot of stop and go's; you will find the transmission hesitates. The road noise is louder than my Toyota pickup truck, not to mention the ride is stiffer than my pickup truck. Here is my advice, if you are seriously interested in this vehicle don't make the same mistake I did by taking it for an around the block test drive. Ask the dealer to loan the X5 to you for the weekend and drive it where you live! I own 4 vehicles & this is the last one out of the garage!
Favorite Features
I like the lines of the vehicle and for a six it has quite of bit of pick up.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the tight steering wheel esp. when you are braking. For $61,000 MSRP vehicle my PU & Subaru are quieter. How could you release that transmission into the market - what where you thinking with the hesitation? I had the vehicle a week and replaced the rear hatch shocks because they would not open properly and today I noticed a light out on it (3 weeks old). The rear doors were not properly aligned. The dealer fixed that before we left but I noticed all the X5s on the lot the rear doors are improperly aligned - whats up? Where is the BMW quality. I am very disappointed as a loyal BMW owner.
Recommend (28) (6,663)
By jnc3
on 06/04/13 21:30 PM (PDT)

I have to agree with your comment above. If you don't want a sport (harsh) suspension or tight steering get a Lexus (I've had 2). The Lexus just didn't like because suspension felt top heavy and not secure on fast maneuvers. Also why went and got a 2013 because BMW is going into Lexus territory with the F15. I like the tight steering. Even opted for the 20 wide tires so yeah it more sport car like. You do not need to take it home for a weekend, your rear and arm will tell you just driving around the block what a BMW is

By sal42
on 02/26/13 14:47 PM (PST)

I say this with the utmost respect, truthfully as a fellow 2013 BMW X5 owner I would say that the tight steering and stiff suspension claims you make are true, but the hesitant transmission you describe is something I cannot say I agree with. But why did you buy this vehicle then if you don't like a sporty stiff ride and heavy steering? BMW is known for a sporty stiff ride and handling, so if you don't like that feel you should have bought another vehicle brand. I don't want to sound mean or rude but it seems like you are blaming the vehicle when it sounds like it's your fault for not shopping around before buying your X5. Lexus and Mercedes have smoother soft suspensions, and BMW is not known for that, their forte is sportiness, so you simply bought the wrong brand. You should try before you buy and not blame the car for the fact that you didn't shop around enough for a vehicle tailored to your driving style.