Used 1999 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
1999 750iL - 30 month review
By Scott

1999 BMW 7 Series 750iL 4dr Sedan

Bought @ 50K miles for $29K out the door. Needed major service, thrust rod bushings & sway links. After $2,100 all good. Since then: battery x 2, climate control fan motor, radiator repair, tires, repair hood latch, replace oxygen sensors, new front pads & rotors, new electronic thermostat, 2nd major service, added new center armrest & ashtray coin tray, replaced cup holder & console wood trim, replaced outside mirror pass. side, replaced map light rear pass. side, replaced two side windows pass. side & rear driver side, several scheduled maintenance visits & replaced one ultrasonic parking sensor. I may be missing a few things, grand total $13K. Present mileage 100,400. BMW: Break My Wallet.

Favorite Features

Seamless power delivery, phenomenal suspension, handles like butter, snob appeal, great creature comforts, still rivals cars 8 years later, little details in the programming and options too many to mention.

Suggested Improvements

Make parts that last. Electronics & mechanicals should last longer on a $92K car.

1999 740IL
By meemygirl

1999 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

The ride is excellent but too many gadgets have had to be repaired: rear and front cup holders, rear glass window up and down, car phone electronics still do not work, glove compartment latch. I could go on, but the smooth ride is still the best.

Favorite Features

The seats are very comfortable and the ride is great.

Suggested Improvements

The inside components: cup holders are not secure enough to hold drinks, even when they do work. Telephone worked very short time. Decided my cell would do just fine when BMW Service couldn't fix the intergrated phone.

Classic BMW - 740iL
By Lord Zornes

1999 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

This was our first 7 series - our other being a 2000 740iL. Have been impressed with the quiet, comfort and speed - not to mention the "legacy look" of the E38 7 Series. The new E60 series are too hodge- podged on the exterior for our taste. I doubt we'll be upgrading anytime soon. Only issue - the Nappa leather on our green one (a butter creme colour) -- seems to reek of mustiness all the time - especially when the summer heat bakes the car during the day. Replacing the airfilter, as well as placing boxes of Arm & Hammer baking soda doesn't seem to remove the stale smell. *sigh* - time for some "leather" spray I guess.

The Best Car I have even owned
By Gus177

1999 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

This is not only a high performance car, it is a beauty, both in and out. Design wise, has BMW written all over it, unlike the new 745il that can be mistaken for an Infinity or a Nissan. It broke my heart when they discontinued the 740.

Favorite Features

Everthing in this car is great, from the powerful engine, to the interior, to the ergonomics .... you name it.

Suggested Improvements

Not much, the gas milage could be better, but hey, you want performance, you should expect it

Enjoy it while you can, before bankrupt
By SP

1999 BMW 7 Series 750iL 4dr Sedan

A great car I am sure when new. Bought in 2009. 10 yrs old. Main module computer replaced, radiator, air-cond, headlight, deadpixels, worst, unfixable petrol smell, told a leak is there and the seal replacement is expensive. Great to enjoy it but when comes to maintenance, well, you know... I make sure I get the best out of it before my bankruptcy if I keep it. Once in a lifetime experience, may even get another one when the right encounter occurs. What a love-hate relationship!

Favorite Features

All the standard features normally classified as option in the other 7 series.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, reliability reliability!!