Used 1998 BMW 7 Series 740i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 7 Series model:

WHAT A CAR !!!!
By jamezey

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This car is an amazing performer. It outshines many of the newer BMW'S . Mine has 204000 miles on it . Ive replaced the water pump , changed the oil , and thats about it !! WHO CARES ABOUT THE CUP HOLDER! LOL. I love my 7. just about the funest car ive ever driven. Big , luxurious, sexy body lines,responsive v-8. I get an average 22-23 on the highway, 21 all day in the city. nothing comes close to the beuty of this car. It is silver with grey leather. Smoked lenses complete this beuty. I wouldnt trade her . Shes a keeper . I'll probably drive her till' the wheels fall off. :) Scoop one of these up . . .if you can find a decent one .

Favorite Features

HAS IT ALL

Suggested Improvements

NO IMPROVEMENTS NECESSARY

Best car I've ever owned.
By Larry

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Reliable, fun, handles well, looks good, for 2nd, 3rd owner don't lose much. Best and most reliable car I've ever owned.

love and pain
By RS

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Over the last 12 years I've owned a 528i and then briefly owned a 2004 M3 (what a machine that was) and for the last couple years I've owned a 98 740i with a Dinan package. Amazing deep blue car that is a joy to drive. The problems just started after about 106K miles...oil leak, spark plug issue, heater quit working, power steering leak...ugh. Just got a call from the shop wanting more than $4K to fix it all. I feel the car is a beautiful car but freaky to spend this much all at once. I just put brand new tires and brakes 6 months ago as well. All in all...I haven't driven a car I like better except for the M3...another story...just make sure you are aware that the big 8 cost more to fix.

Favorite Features

I love the look. It's stately while sporty.

Suggested Improvements

The wrap around plastic around the seats are ridiculous. I've had luck with the cup holders on this car. Just wish it would grow old gracefully.

Carrier shot
By 740iFan

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

Arguably the most comfortable performance sedan ever built. Nice clean lines. Buy it right but set several thousand aside for initial remediation. I replaced water pump, window motor, control arm bushings, right cat, headlight lenses, and tires in the first year. Had leather refinished to like-new last year. You can get good quality non-BMW aftermarket parts drop shipped to your independent mechanic and save big $$$$. All-in I probably put 4K into the car since purchase bringing total cost to less than 11K. I get 22 mpg highway driving aggressively, 24 otherwise.

Favorite Features

The seats are amazing! Almost six hours without getting out of the car and no back fatigue at all (and I am nearing retirement age). The trunk is huge. Acceleration is smooth and fast and the engine has plenty of reserve power.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo is great but setting it up the way you like it will take a little time.

A maintenance nightmare
By toni p

1998 BMW 7 Series Sedan 740i 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been like a beautiful woman with an evil heart. From the first year until the eighth year of ownership, it has been one "freakish" thing after another. Unbelievably, in the third year the engine went, a piston through the heart! Cat converters, AC, exhaust. Car is in shop for it's final repair, a blown gas tank! Another $2100 repair bill! Great driving, great looking classic, but I've had enough. Time to look at another brand! Did I just get a lemon or what?

Favorite Features

Great body style, exceptionally smooth driving.

Suggested Improvements

This car just simply had mechanical issues from the beginning. Wouldn't even know where to start with suggestions on the mechanical improvements for my vehicle.