Used 1997 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Bills Beemer
By willie

1997 BMW 7 Series 740i 4dr Sedan

The car is very sound (structurally). Reliability is poor. Too many expensive repairs for a expensive car. (radiator, steering, backfire plate, window controller) Think twice about this cas due to high cost of repair.

Endless money pit
By RenoBMW

1997 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Great road car when it's running, but plagued by extremely low realibility and extremely high repair costs. Bought this off lease and have had it in shop at least once every month since for various things breaking or not working. The A/C has been repaired twice at $1800 per trip, and still doesn't work all the time, new driveline, suspension, seat motors, DMK motors, the list is endless. I've paid nearly as much in repairs as I did for the car. As soon as the last payment is made I'm buying a Lexus.

Favorite Features

Rear seat leg room, performance, on board computer.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control, improved realiability, better service system.

Good Car, High Cost to Own
By Chicago Bimmer

1997 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

Love the car, hate the car. Most beautiful car I've owned. A joy to drive, when everything works. Replaced 4 window motors, 1 seat motor, a radiator, 2 water pumps, an alternator, a drive shaft, a CD player, and dash read outs. The other day the exterior door handle just came off in my hand. This car has been maintianed by BMW and certified mechanics, yet the build quality work against the owner. It's a shame considering the cost of the car.

Favorite Features

Style. Handling, interior comforts, and surprisingly good mileage for a car of this size.

Suggested Improvements

BMW should admit to common fails and reimberse owners. Some of the these repairs are completely uncalled for, when you consider that we paid >$60K when new. Old Nissans I've owned have had better repair experience.

If only it would start.
By jbill

1997 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

What a dream to drive - if only I could get it started. I have only owned this car for 6 months and have had it in the shop 6 times. The battery keeps getting drained, the heater needed to be replaced and the cup-holder replaced twice. I know the service people on a first name basis. Not a good sign with a car that only has 28000 miles on it.

Favorite Features

The way it drives - it is a dream. Smooth comfortable car.

Suggested Improvements

For the money, this car should not have the problems I've experienced. Better reliability is a must.

Piece of junk
By lousy cat

1997 BMW 7 Series 740iL 4dr Sedan

This is the only car I have ever owned that literally falls apart before your eyes. BMW should be ashamed to put such a poor quality car on the market. It's only redeeming quality is that it looks good. The list of things wrong with my car are incredible for a car that has just over 100k on it BMW shame on you.

Favorite Features

sunroof and sound system

Suggested Improvements

Air conditioner, trans, suspension. Etc, etc, etc. Ad nauseum.