1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
knock on wood
By pupjr on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

No mechanical problems, no reliability problems. The most solid, quiet car I have driven. What's with the AM radio reception? Am beginning to get a little bit of hesitation in first shift of the automatic, could the beginning of the problems be near? 75,000 miles and I hope all this talk about expensive to repair isn't going to come true! What else out there drives like this for the money AND is cheap to repair?

NICE TO DRIVE, BAD FOR YOUR POCKET!
By GEORGES on 08/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

The ride is great, it is fun to drive, good performance, good looking, but bad reliability... I have changed all the fans rumbling and some rear drivetrain piece because of a strange TIK" coming from the rear of the car when you start up with the car. If you have much money to spend on your car, it's a great choice

Where do I put my stuff?
By fofoshack on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Perfect, except the console storage (or lack thereof)

Bavarian Bliss
By Bimmer One on 08/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car on the certified plan with 53000 miles. The car is incredibly solid and has performed flawlwessly. It is expensive to maintain, so be prepared. I routinely get almost 30MPG on the highway and the car cruises at 80MPH all day long. I added a couple of Dinan modifications to boost HP and they work flawlessly.

The best
By skiier on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

The most fun to drive - and I thought nothing would beat my '93 Taurus SHO. Even with less HP, this one really goes. Love to set the cruise at 100 for long trips - that's when the car is at it's best.

Stay away
By badnews on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This is the most dangerous car I've ever owned. In the two years I have owned it, the engine has blown, the electrical system has completely failed, and the car almost caught on fire. I bought it used with 42,000 miles on it and it now has 91,000 miles on it. BMW should be embarrassed. The only saving grace is that I have a 100,000 mile extended warranty. It has easily saved me $15,000 in repairs. I am about to trade it in for a Honda Accord.