1995 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Great car for the buck.
By jbimmah on 12/15/11 23:24 PM (PST)

1995 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have been in teh BMW family for a few years now and this car has been a lot of fun to drive even as an automatic. For a 17 year old car it can still handle well, even after years of New England weather. My car has started every day in hot, cold, wet, dry and snow filled days with out issue and has never left me stranded, it is a higher maintenance 5 series due to it being the V8. Average extra cost a year would be estimated at around $2000.00, for a typical do it yourself er. I have had the car 11 months now and have bought new suspensions, mounts, brakes, exhaust, and typical other things.

1995 540i BEST BMW CAR EVER!!! no nikasil problem.
By bmw540ifan on 06/23/11 19:25 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I just got my first BMW A 1995 540i with the original engine block Nikasil. Never was replaced. Only has 80k on it. Runs JUST FINE!! I love this car it handles great, wish I could buy another. Great with turns, has POWER... Had the local BMW shop check the engine out and said its still strong and good. The whole Nikasil thing was blown out of the water, some were affected while others were not. I will never go back to a honda again thats for sure. Love this car will and go to the grave with it. SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOOTH...

Germany builds a muscle car
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Simply put the best car you can buy for a few grand. Build quality/ride/handling/braking rivals new cars. Steering is ok, loads up well, good feedback but poor on center and is not as quick as modern cars. V8 with a 6spd manual (proper) gear box is a dream. These things take a good deal of maintenance and repair, simple as that (find me a 16+ year old car that doesnt'!). Parts are reasonable, labor is pricey. Parts availability and technical info is outstanding (old bimmers have a great group of owners!) I like this car a lot but it just isn't the best fit for my needs. I would prefer to sacrifice some of the greatness of an old BMW for a less hassle newer car.

Do I need a new mechanic?
By needsanewone on 09/03/10 09:43 AM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

After reading all these stellar reviews I'm beginning to wonder if I need a new mechanic. I bought this car used, 6 years ago. It's pushing 200,000 miles, but I hear these cars can last forever. It shudders HARD when I drive between 45-55 mph, drivers side window regulator regularly craps out, belts fall off, has a severe oil leak that can't seem to be fixed, and a coolant light that beeps at me no matter what I do (so I either leave my lights on, because I've grown to ignore the beep, or run the risk of overheating because it cries wolf all the time). Interior display has dimmed to the point of invisibility, and the following parts melted off: hood ornament, side mirror, interior door frame.

Best car I have ever owned
By Jeremy F on 06/16/10 21:12 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

I have owned a lot of car ranging from ford probes to blazers and everything in between. but this has got to be the best car i have ever bought with over 236,000 miles on it starts right up and will still cruise at over 140 mph with no problems, by far the best vehicle i have ever bought. and to top it off it was even in a front end collision and still runs like new. anyone looking to get a BMW i highly recommend the 95 5 series best BMWs ever built. again the best car i have ever bought for 1200 dollars still looks like new shiny paint and all.

What next?
By Tony on 05/28/10 13:46 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Bought it with carfax one owner 72k miles. Now 166k eight years later; only major repair new radiator and a/c components. Most important thing is to have a great mechanic whose accurate diagnosis can save you thousands. He warns me higher operating temps of later bmws is main reason for parts failures. Really want a 528 or 530 2001-2003. How many miles can these cars go? Very wary of late model bmws unless on a lease.

She'll cost you!
By eholmes on 05/16/10 14:02 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Wagon

I bought one of these private sale last year. What a great ride!. I had never driven a vehicle that tight before. Lots of power and handles like a monorail. Rear-wheel-drive with traction control was fantastic in the snow; I was really surprised. Unfortunately the one I bought was a little beat. Rust on the bottom of the doors, front end parts kept loosening up ($400 each), needed pads and rotors, and tires, leaked oil, seemed to be burning coolant, window controls shot, antenna broken, sun-roof broken - you name it, it was broken. But it was a fun car to drive. So I traded it in towards a newer 528i.

Keeps on keeping on
By Egg on 01/25/10 20:32 PM (PST)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Excellent car! Bought it 2 years ago and the car now has 164K on it. No issues - just a belt change and a brake job. Total money spent on the car other than oil: 600. The car was ahead of its times, I think. It's got heated leather seats, speed sensitive windshield wipers, a comprehensive trip computer. Reliability is great, fuel economy is good and the ride is second to none. I love my cruiser!

I LOVE This Car
By BERTE on 10/20/09 19:08 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

Bought Al (Alpine White) in 2002 with over 100,000 on the odo, just turned 196,000. The car is solid, well constructed, and a joy to drive once you get it going. Overall average 21 MPG, 27 MPG on the highway at 80 MPH. Replaced several T-stats, radiator, most all of the suspension parts and bushings. Have had a few issues with power windows and seats. The engine has been bulletproof. The tranny is starting to slip in reverse. I get compliments all the time about how beautiful the car looks. It's a classic! I love the car and will drive it until the wheels fall off.

My New Lover----My 525i.
By RShad on 09/26/09 21:45 PM (PDT)

1995 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan

After my 2006 Nissan Frontier was totalled my loan was paid off and I made out with 3000 dollars in my pocket. Instead of starting a new car loan I turned to used BMW's. I found a gem in (my new) 525i. Purchased with 188k plus miles for $2950 I stayed optimistic and I was right. This is beautiful and timeless design with excellent handling on any surface. It is unbelieveably smooth and comfortable. Previous owner had recently replaced water pump and radiator so that was out of the way. Only drawback is lack of power for a 6 cylinder but it's not a bother knowing I can corner it at 60mph without hittin the brakes!.. Not to mention the great fuel economy for its size. Find one,buy it, keep it.