2014 BMW 4 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 BMW 4 Series Coupe

View reviews for a specific 4 Series model:

Try the 428i
By professorx

2014 BMW 4 Series Coupe 428i SULEV 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Picked up my 428i yesterday. Was worried that the 4 cyl wouldn't be enough, and that I would not be getting the BMW "experience" if i didn't get the i6. None of these fools must have driven the 428i, because they could not have been more wrong. I started driving my car around and seeing what it can do and WOW... I couldn't possibly want more. This car is fast, and I mean FAST. This car is superb, and does not need the i6. In all fairness I am sure that the i6 is fantastic but make no mistake ladies and gents, the BMW 428i will knock your socks off and gives very, very little reason to upgrade to the 435i. I am aware that the M4 may be another story,but that will be reserved for big spenders

Favorite Features

POWER! SLICK! Simply great car with lots of GREAT features.

Excellent car for demanding drivers
By nt123

2014 BMW 4 Series Coupe 428i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Got mine a month ago with the sport package. Drives really well especially in sport and sport+ modes. Cornering is excellent as is acceleration and braking. Road noise is higher that I was expecting and there is a little bit of vibration in sport model at slower speeds especially with the sunroof open. Asbsolute fun to drive for demanding driver..

Favorite Features

Sport and Sport+ modes and handling. Rear-view camera.

Suggested Improvements

Touch screen navi. Front parking/proximity sensors to go with the rear-view camera and sensors.

I (almost) love everything about it.
By jrbskissummit

2014 BMW 4 Series Coupe 435i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

As far as I could tell there were only two cars that met my desires for a coupe with AWD, Manual transmission and forced induction for Colorado altitudes. The BMW 435 ended up being my choice. The other choice was the A5/S5. The 428 would have been a competitor for the A5 if it was available with manual. Anyway I drove a S5 and compared it with the 435. I preferred the S5 looks but engine dynamics are noticeably better in the 435 (if the sport mode is active). My car has a manual, so sport mode doesn't fool with the transmission shift points as it does in the Automatic cars. As expensive as it is the 435 seems a better value than the S5. I wish it was all wonderful but it could be better.

Favorite Features

I love that I was able to get a car with a manual transmission. I am really annoyed that so few cars are being offered with a manual. Sport mode makes the car lots more fun, too bad the car won't recall the state it was in when I last drove it. The black interior with red stitching and coral accents on my "sport line" car are very sharp looking and get positive comments all the time. The back up camera and park distance control is nice and very useful since you have a harder time judging where the ends of this car are compared to many others that I have owned. Also it makes use of the dash screen that I would otherwise have no use for but is always included.

Suggested Improvements

The car should remember that it was last used in sport mode and stay that way when I start it. The information display should revert to the same display as it was when the car was shut down. The screen will show a warning about using it while driving and eventually times out and goes to something randomly different from the last time I drove the car. BMW should offer a sport suspension for the AWD cars and/or not charge just as much for the M-sport package when it doesn't include a sport suspension on an AWD car. Audi offers a sport suspension on their quattro cars, BMW makes their AWD cars ridiculously tall and doesn't offer sport tuned suspension.

European Delivery Experience
By miami_dan

2014 BMW 4 Series Coupe 435i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

We've just returned from our European Delivery experience and it met and exceeded our expectations. We picked up our F32 at the BMW Welt and toured the factory. In the week before turning it over to be shipped to us in the US we put over 1,800 miles on it and toured Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and France. The ride was super and although I did obey the break-in guidelines, did not exceed 100mph or 4,500rpm, the car performed very well. It's a much smoother ride than my '09 335i which has the sport package. Having the ability to select between "comfort", the default, and "sport" or "sport +" was very nice. Although the numbers don't reflect it the cabin feels noticeably larger.

Favorite Features

Premium Package with "comfort access". Technology Pkg with "head-up display" was very cool and "navigation" was a real plus as they provided a USB with the European maps. The Driver Assistance Package with "rear view camera" & "park distance control" were very helpful in the tighter spaces. I look forward to exploring the BMW Apps and the rest of the technology package once I take my US delivery around the end of April 2014.

Suggested Improvements

I could not have been happier with this purchase just wish the wait for US delivery was less than 6-weeks. I highly recommend the European Delivery as BMW treats you like royalty, start to finish.

435i xDrive - They got it right!
By jeffking007

2014 BMW 4 Series Coupe 435i xDrive 2dr Coupe AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is my fourth BMW coupe and my favorite by far. It is powerful, yet refined, it can be a beast or a comfortable daily cruiser depending on what mode you put it in. Gas mileage is decent for a car with 300 HP, but Sport mode will of course decrease efficiency. I decided to custom order and get almost every option, including the M Sport Package. I test drove a "Luxury Line" and almost changed my mind about ordering the car - but glad I didn't since the M Sport just felt and looked 10 times better. Don't go cheap on the options unless they don't matter to you. I like the fact this coupe is larger than than before, it is actually a tiny bit longer and wider than the 3 series sedan.

Favorite Features

The navigation system is surprisingly easy to use after a couple of tries. This is my first BMW with navigation and I learned quite quickly how to use it. The Harmon Kardon sound system is a nice upgrade and worth the cost in my opinion. I miss my Audi's Bang & Olufsen sounds system though. And of course, the M Sport package was a must-have for me.

Suggested Improvements

While I understand the technology features have greatly been improved, I still can't get my e-mail or texts to appear on the Nav screen from my iPhone. The BMW Apps are quite limited with just Facebook (which I can't get to work), Pandora, and a fair amount of global internet radio stations. Also while the exterior was greatly updated, the interior still looks and feels very 3 series.