1997 BMW 3 Series 318i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Practical BMW
By RHartounian

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

I have always loved BMWs. This one is not any less of a BMW. It has good handling and good torque in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. I wish it had a sixth gear. This car has a very tight gear ratio so in the 5th gear at 80 mph the engine is begging for another gear. Too bad! The glove compartment is really poor, though. Everything you place inside, it keeps rolling out. I love the E30 glove box much more. I hate the vinyl interior. BMW is probably one of the only luxury car manufacturers that still makes vinyl seats. In the summer months it's an oven in there. One common problem with this car that cannot be fixed is the climate control. Overall it's a good car.

Favorite Features

Handling. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Too late for that, but: the glove compartment doesn't hold anything. The initial pick up is very sluggish, but hey it's a four cylinder. The climate control turns on when you start the car even if you turned it off before stopping the engine and removing your keys. I hate vinyl, it gets hot.

This is one kicking car.
By John Sullivan

1997 BMW 3 Series Sedan 318i 4dr Sedan

Coming from a car history of teh 1980's this car is awesome. I have driven explorers,a nd Durango's but I love this car. 1985 BMW 524td (yes a Diesel) 1989 Volvo 240 GL Bow my 1997 E36 (318i) and I love it. Fun, zuppy, great mileage and its supposed to all be recyclable. Kudos BMW. Save the World.

Favorite Features

Solid, fast, and awesome alarm sound. This si truely my car. It salutes me ith two beeps, get in. Then it tells me bye with only one beep. Fell the love

Suggested Improvements

The hood badge should simply screw on from underneath, I hate that i had to use a screwdriver to change it and mess up my paint.