1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
I was in shock up until writing this Review
By merc272 on 02/04/12 16:23 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

The one word that pops to mind when i think of this car is "timeless". Its like a well maintained Italian suit, aged with beauty, but always stylish. The throttle response is a little iffy because the pedal seems to have a lengthy discussion with the engine and drive train before kicking me back in the seat. (that's what you get when you let the french design a transmission) never the less I'm never afraid to push it just a little bit more, and hit a blistering speed of 115mph on the highway before backing off the throttle. I was floored, grinning ear to ear like a little kid who had just gotten his first 22. rifle for Christmas. This is truly what a proper sports car should be.

A lot of car for the money
By fritz on 11/09/09 14:49 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

I own a 1997 BMW 318iS, it's almost identical to an M3 other than the engine which is the reliable M44 4 cyl. A solid car that is nimble and gets 38mpg highway, 24mpg in town, an average of about 30-32mpg. The S version has a lower M3 like sport suspension, wider stance, and mine was ordered with M3 rims which perfectly suit the car without being gawdy. Regular maintenance will give you a reliable smooth ride. Torquey engine redlines quickly with moderate gas but shifter seems longwinded compared to a 1980's Manual. Nice interior, mine has heated seats that warm up quickly in two modes. Multiple cabin vents. May be small for a larger person. I'm 6' tall and fit nicely. Very fun to drive.

Hidden Costs Of BMW Ownership
By ACF on 03/23/09 11:11 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

Look, the BMW 3 series is as about a pleasurable ride in a daily driver you can possibly get. Great road feel, great acceleration, great looks, & in the MT a superior shifting experience. However, be prepared to pay high maintenance costs, especially beyond 75k miles. I bought my '97 with 49k miles. It now has 99k, & I have put out around $7k in maintenance since. Clutch is $900, alternator is $450, ball joints are $500, water pump $400, tires (sport) $700 & brakes $300 done every other year. It has some quirky things too. LED displays (radio & odm) go dim/out, radiator necks break, coolant lever sensors go bad, paint chips/rusts way to easy. All in all a great ride, but you're gonna pay.

BMW fans unite
By Constant Car Shopper on 08/12/07 03:29 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

Even before I got my driver's license I wondered why people payed a premium for BMWs. I openly criticized, but secretly wanted one. Now that I own one there is no doubt that the BMW 3 series is a car driver's dream. I test drove my current vehicle almost as a lark and wound up buying it on the spot. Much like other reviewers this car makes me glad to get up everyday to drive this car to work. So far the maintenance on this vehicle has been no more than other cars I have owned. I bought this car with almost 100,000 miles on it and would love to put 100,000 more on it.

Dream car
By kayandbert on 06/22/07 18:49 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

I waited a long time to own the car of my dreams. Still looks great sitting in my garage. I still get compliments on the car. Very reliable transportation whether to work or traveling the interstate to visit my granddaughters.

Great Drivers Car
By drpctp on 01/25/07 18:19 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

This car is awesome, there is a high attention to detail and once you gun the gas, this car begs to be driven hard. No wonder it's the ultimate driving machine.

3 series review
By Steve on 10/05/05 16:00 PM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

Always look forward to driving to and from work because of this vehicle. Great balance and tossability along with good power, brakes and fuel economy. A little pricey to service and may not have the reliabilty of a Honda. Makes me feel young again.

70,000 trouble-fee miles
By crazy4blues on 02/26/05 23:26 PM (PST)

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new 7 1/2 years ago, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The handling is very neutral, and spirited driving is always fun--never "scary." I've never had any major issues with this car. Onramps are great fun, and I get about 28 mpg on the highway. 18 mpg City. It has started every morning and has never left me stranded. I have replaced the battery, the front brakes (rotors and pads), an AC module, and the water pump (as a precaution). While I have left it completely stock, this is a great platform for suspension upgrades and engine mods (CAI, Exhaust, Chip, etc.). I would definitely buy this car again.

Best ride I've owned
By Jeffy347 on 07/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 328is 2dr Coupe

Bought this car knowing I would be driving a ton. Also, a bit of a rebound from previous marriage. It is an investment that has paid great dividends to my state of mind. No offense to my counselor - but for the same price, this vehicle offers similar solace :-) Bought with 99k,Trouble free to 107k in two months. I am concerned with a sluggish passenger window - auto up feature is sometimes sporadic - also passenger power lock has quit. I am sure it is a quick fix though. And smaller a price for sure than the 95 Audi 90 I owned this time last year. I am betting the Bimmer will not disappoint as much as that money pit! Long story short BMW Rocks!

Perfect car for teen
By templau on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 BMW 3 Series Coupe 318is 2dr Coupe

The 318is does not have the power of other BMW's, but it has the handling, braking, looks, and feel all BMW's have. I bought it used because the price was good and the miles were low (46,000). At first, I was concerned that maintenance would be high as it typically is for BMW's. However, I use an independent mechanic who has serviced my cars for 13 years, and this car has been a dream. The small engine, manual trans and good handling are a great combination for a new teen driver while also providing some style and "cool". What I didn't expect was how much fun it would be or that my wife and I would fight with our teen over who gets to drive it.