2014 Audi Q5 Consumer Review: Audi Q5 TDI - Better mileage t

2014 Audi Q5 - Consumer Review

2014 Audi Q5

TDI Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV (3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel AWD 8-speed Automatic)

Audi Q5 TDI - Better mileage than advertised
By darioa on

2014 Audi Q5 TDI Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

My new Audi Q5 TDI has a little over 1700 miles. I've been very careful during the break-in period, which happened during extreme cold temperatures and much snow and ice on the roads for a few weeks in February. The car would start flawlessly every time even at temperatures of -20 F in the mountains of Colorado. I've averaged 25.5 mpg in the city during cold weather and snowy roads. On a 180 mile round trip from Winter Park to Steamboat Springs, where you start at 8800 ft, go down to 7000, then up to almost 11,000 ft and then down to 6,800 ft I averaged 35 mpg with 5 people in the car, skis on the roof and a fully loaded trunk. From Boulder to Colorado Springs and back I averaged 41.5 MPG.

Update: After owning this vehicle for two years I'm just hoping it is not too good to be true with the diesel scandal. I bought it because it had power and speed to spare while using very little fuel and polluting less than a gasoline car. That may still be true for CO2 emissions, but it is not true for NOx emissions, and that is very disappointing. I'm hoping the fix will not reduce my power or fuel economy. I've averaged almost 31 mpg over 25,000 miles, with no mechanical or electrical problems. My biggest complain is the Google Earth based GPS. The time to arrival algorithm is not very accurate, especially when driving in the mountains. It can be 30 minutes off on a two hour drive. In the city though, it is accurate enough.

I bought snow tires to get one more season out of the all seasons it came with, but I still think the original tires will not last as long as expected. The Audi Q5 is excellent in the snow with these new snow tires. I did notice an appreciable difference in traction, but it does not corner as well as with the all seasons, as expected.

Last year we drove the car from Colorado to California and from Colorado to the East Coast. It was such a pleasure we may do it again this year. The seats get a bit hard after 6 hours drive, so we bought a seat cushion for long trips after the first one and our bottoms thanked us.

• Outward visibility
  • Entertainment
  • Bluetooth
  • Fuel economy
  • Warranty

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By darioa
on 10/09/14 16:02 PM (PDT)

After 7000 miles it is still the best car I could have bought. I've been off-road where I was glad I had an almost 8" clearance. My average MPG is almost 31 (about 60% city but little stop and go traffic). Another issue I've seen occasionally is that the MMI loses my Home Address without any reason. It also crashes if I tell it to go home using voice. I have to exit navigation and redo it using standard input methods. I hear the back seats are very comfortable for 2 adults. I would not put a fifth person in the middle for long trips though.