2014 Audi Q5 Consumer Review: Audi Q5 TDI - Better mileage t

2014 Audi Q5 - Consumer Review

TDI Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV (3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel AWD 8-speed Automatic)

Audi Q5 TDI - Better mileage than advertised
By darioa on

2014 Audi Q5 TDI Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

My new Audi Q5 TDI has a little over 1700 miles. I've been very careful during the break-in period, which happened during extreme cold temperatures and much snow and ice on the roads for a few weeks in February. The car would start flawlessly every time even at temperatures of -20 F in the mountains of Colorado. I've averaged 25.5 mpg in the city during cold weather and snowy roads. On a 180 mile round trip from Winter Park to Steamboat Springs, where you start at 8800 ft, go down to 7000, then up to almost 11,000 ft and then down to 6,800 ft I averaged 35 mpg with 5 people in the car, skis on the roof and a fully loaded trunk. From Boulder to Colorado Springs and back I averaged 41.5 MPG.

Favorite Features

Not only is this car very powerful and fast off a start and fast passing acceleration, but it handles very well in mountain curves, has a very practical ground clearance (7.9 snow clearing inches), and fits in parking spots with ease. Moreover, the start stop technology is a pleasure to experience when you come to a stop. No vibrations, no noise, just peaceful enjoyment of the luxurious interior, with its 10 speakers, and well insulated cabin. I enjoy the panoramic sunroof that allows your passengers to watch the stars at night and feel the sun on a clear winter day. It's a practical, sporty car, that excels in efficiency, acceleration, luxurious interior, and AWD safety all in one package.

Suggested Improvements

I can't find many faults with this sportsmobile. I would prefer to have a retractable cover for the storage area, rather than a foldable hard cover. If you need elevation for your storage, you can remove the cover and store it against the back of the back seats, but you have to move the seats forward to make room for the cover, removing precious leg room in the back. I also wish Audi had additional applications in the MMI interface, such as Pandora or Spotify. I can connect my old iPhone and use the wifi capabilities or Bluetooth to listen to my favorite stations, but it is cumbersome to first set it up. Wifi could also use 4G/LTE compatibility. 3G/2G is sometimes very slow.
By darioa
on 10/09/14 16:02 PM (PDT)

After 7000 miles it is still the best car I could have bought. I've been off-road where I was glad I had an almost 8" clearance. My average MPG is almost 31 (about 60% city but little stop and go traffic). Another issue I've seen occasionally is that the MMI loses my Home Address without any reason. It also crashes if I tell it to go home using voice. I have to exit navigation and redo it using standard input methods. I hear the back seats are very comfortable for 2 adults. I would not put a fifth person in the middle for long trips though.