Used 2004 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews - 250 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volvo S60 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S60 model:

Loving the s60 I saved from salvage yard
By John

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car was sitting for almost 2 years... With that in mind along with 230+k on it, this has been the best car I've ever owned.. I purchased the S60 2.5t awd for $1,000 with a blown engine and radiator. After the radiator and head repair, surprisingly the beast fired right up... Runs like a dream.. Best investment I've ever made.... My husband an I absolutely love it.. Body and interior look brand new...

Volvo S60 Is Just Alright With Me
By Edan S.

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I'm not quite sure what to say about the S60, I bought it to replace my 2000 Volvo V70, which I loved. I sort of bought this car because I was getting reading to take a winter road trip to Montana and wanted something with AWD. I would have preferred an XC-70, but couldn't find one for the right price or in the time I allotted myself. I ended up seeing my S60 for sale at the local BMW dealership for $6995 with 102,000 miles. It was a one-owner vehicle purchased from and always serviced on time at the local Volvo dealership in town. After taxes and fees I think I ended up spending more than $8K, which in retrospect was way too high. I did, however, end up getting new tires (Michelin all seasons) right away, the old ones were "ok," but not great, some sheep skin seat covers (some of the stitching split on the driver's side seat), and some OEM Volvo all-weather floor mats (all worthwhile investments). So the car, it's much smoother than my old wagon, great acceleration despite the additional 600lbs of the Haldex AWD system, decent gas mileage and road handling. Like all Volvos, the seats are supremely comfortable--second-to-none! My car's trial by fire was a 900+ mile road trip to Montana in December amid regular blizzards and arctic temperatures. My gas mileage was pretty decent over 28mpg at over 80mph most of the time. As with most vehicle, it handles really poorly on ice, it does however, do great in the snow. Once those back wheels start to grip, the thing can go almost anywhere (within reason). I did find out at the dealership during my last service that my control arm bushings are bad, so that might account for some of the sketchiness on the ice and just the freeway in general. Much to my surprise yet again, the A/C and heating systems are some of the best I've encountered! Some of the other reviews have mentioned the cramped nature of the backseats, that is true, it's very tight with a full-size adult sitting back there. The trunk while spacious has a fairly narrow opening which makes it a difficult to put some things in. I have a wheeled cooler that I like to take to the beach which often has to sit on the backseat rather than in the trunk. It fits fine in my wife's 2007 Jetta, but that has a higher and wider trunk I guess. Overall, I don't have a lot of gripes with this car. I enjoy driving it and it's a nice looking vehicle. One of my biggest concerns though is the creeps, groans, and clunks I was experiencing over the winter. Anytime I would go over uneven pavement or speed humps the car made some weird noises from the front end. Maybe it's some back chassis bushings, maybe it is the control arms, or it could even be the struts? All I know is it makes me apprehensive when it happens. It's been great over the summer though, no issues like that whatsoever. I can foresee this car treating me well for the foreseeable future. Will it be as good as my old V-70? Only time will tell.

Practical/ reliable/fun
By Ron

2004 Volvo S60 2.4 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is a great car gas mileage is fair, with a large tank. Less stopping for fuel on those long trips. Seating is comfortable and we'll thought out. Interior plastics. Should have been better. 144k on the odometer and just the routine maintenance.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR!!!
By Vick M.

2004 Volvo S60 2.5T Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Reading the reviews on here, I can't believe my eyes. But then I see that most people raving about this car also say this is one of the only cars they've ever owned, so that puts things into context.

This is HORRIBLY EXPENSIVE AND UNRELIABLE CAR. I'll get into that in a little while, but let me list the pros and cons before I list all the reliability issues.

Pros

- Exterior has a classic, timeless look. Not unlike a similar year BMW 5 Series.

- Luxury car with low resale value, inexpensive to buy

- Great Handling on corners

- Turbo Engine available with non-premium gas

Cons

- TURNING RADIUS IS THE WORST IVE EVER SEEN IN A SEDAN.

- Horribly designed cabin. Cheap hard plastic at literally all of the places you rest your knees when you drive. (Door handle and side of middle gear shift console).

- Small back window and poor visibility

- Fuel Economy is crap. It's 19/27 and most of the 3 years I spent driving this car, I averaged sub 21 mpg. It's only recently with 90% highway driving that I'm getting 24 mpg combined

- Sound System and Speakers are lacking

- Center console/dash is just ugly

- Green interior lights give it a 1980s feel. My 03 Honda Accord Coupe had red and gray.

Now for the REAL problem. I bought this used with 75K and am now at 120K. I made the decision early on not to put money into this vehicle unless it was for required maintenance Best decision I've made as it has saved me over 10K in repairs in that time.

- CD Player doesn't eject any CDs or take any CDs in. On/Off button is glitchy, and there is an electrical short somewhere in the car that I'm 90 % sure is related to the non-working audio system. I haven't used it AT ALL for the last 15K miles because it almost killed me, twice.

- That electrical short, on TWO occasions, KNOCKED OUT THE TRANSMISSION COMPUTER AND MY CAR FELT LIKE IT WAS GOING TO EXPLODE! I HAD TO PULL TO THE SIDE AND CALL TRIPLE AAA. I literally haven't turned on stereo since because I'm scared for my life when I drive this car. Both times the transmission shop said that nothing can be done because the short is ruining the transmission computer unless I want to spend hundreds of dollars to find the short. Better not to use the stereo at all.

- The driver's side leather seat has completely ripped at both sides. The passenger's side power window adjuster broke so now I can't use that window (the part is 300+) and the shocks on that side are messed up too.

- There is rattling from 3 or 4 different areas and the window noise from the passenger's side window is super loud.

- The Fuel gauge is idiotic. 75-80% of your car fuel can be used and still be on half way and then the other half of your fuel gauge empties out incredibly quickly.

This is a HORRIBLE car. I had a 03 Honda Accord coupe that was in a frontal collision and drove for 130K miles with absolutely no problems even coming close to the issues I've had with this car.

STAY AWAY.

Fast and fun
By Jared Nikle

2004 Volvo S60 R 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Worth the cost