Used 2006 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

The Real Deal
By Tony

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Great around town car and in the snow; easy to drive and fast.

Don't risk buying this S40
By LJ

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Volvos are great cars but the S40 has a electronic control module issue that has not had a recall. I've had my S40 since 2005 brand new & now here in 2018 149,500 miles later its having a major electrical issue. While driving the gages will shut off so you wont know what speed your going or how much gas is in your car. Many warning lights will appear such as (ABS, AIRBAG, BRAKE & BRAKE FAILURE) The S40 will not start on the try most days you would have to make several attempts until it starts. ITS A MAJOR HEADACHE!!! Volvo wants $1400 for the replacement of the control module.

Great car for the miles
By terri campbell

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Good safe car. Solid engine with great acceleration. No worries with the car running. The interior is a bit like wearing a helmet. Sounds weird but I always feel like I put on a helmet the ceiling is so low. I bought this car for the safety rating and it feels like a solid car. Handles all road conditions with ease. Comfortable interior that is so great I made it from NY to Chicago in one leg more than a dozen times. The only down side is when you do have maintenance the shops want to gorge you. So finding a kind appreciative mechanic is a must. Think of it from the other side, the mechanics of the Volvo are so good that any mechanic knows they will not see you again for another 20,000+ miles (except oil changes).
Update: I retired to Florida. THIS IS NOT A HOT WEATHER CAR. My Volvo always started in the cold. Subzero Chicago mornings were no problem. I did not have an engine block heater or a garage. Here in Florida, the Volvo has a compressor problem with Air Conditioning.

Great Investment
By gradstudent456

2006 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My S40 has nearly 150K miles on it and with regular maintenance, tire rotations/balancing and oil changes, I have had very few issues. I constantly receive compliments on how elegant the car is. Many acquaintances believe it newer and more expensive than it is. I am lucky to have Volvo-specialized mechanic with integrity in town. While parts are expensive, I plan on having the car until it dies because it is such good quality. Purchasing this vehicle is like purchasing a high-quality leather handbag. It is expensive but if you care for it regularly, the investment will bring you satisfaction and contentment for many years. You will be proud to own even if it is not the newest.

Surround sound is great! Elegant interior is calming. Huge windows mean great visibility all around. Moonroof is fantastic. I am petite, so I love that I can raise height of driver seat and lower steering wheel!

Sunroof drainage was an issue for a little while until got it cleaned. Only mechanical issues I had were result of previous owner negligence. Once resolved those and got on regular maintenance schedule, no unexpected issues.

VOLVO SAVED MY LIFE
By jlong4

2006 Volvo S40 T5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I was driving an 06 black Volvo s40 2.4i. It had 138k miles and drove like brand new. I loved every second of it. However, one day there was a dog on the freeway in the fast lane. I swerved and couldn't gain control back. I went across five lanes of traffic where I then flipped, all while doing 70. The curtain airbag deployed and I was able to walk away with a small bruise. Needless to say, I went and bought another 06 blue Volvo s40 T5. And I could not be happier. Once a Volvo, always a Volvo. I have not had any issues with the new one. Usual maintenance and what not, gas mileage is at about 24-27 MPG, but not bad for a turbo.