Used 1997 Volvo 850 Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Old Blue!
By Robert

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

If you can't work on it yourself. Find a reasonable Volvo mechanic that can. Never take it to a dealer. Before you think about buying an older Volvo look up "Robert DIY" on You Tube, and he will tell you what to look for. I seen my 850 GLT sitting on a local Northern Mo. used car lot with like 65,000 original miles on it a year and a half ago when I bought it. I bought it for like $3,750.00 dollars. So far I have the whole PCV system replaced (gets clogged up). If not fixed can cause seal leaks from pressure buildup. Just replaced the rear cam seal and fuel pump went out recently at 79,000 miles. In general I love the way it drives, has plenty of power and is my wife's commuter car. I liked the 850 so much I bought a 1998 Volvo S 70 T5 not long after with only 100,000 miles on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIw1GJgD_x8 This is the exact car I bought and rarely drive. The car is a real sleeper. Only like 361 of them produced with the five speed manual tranny, and about 240 HP and 250 ft lb's torque and is a blast to drive! I'm thinking about getting the new Polestar S 60 next.

The Best Volvo
By baristablaine

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This Volvo 850 has been the best car I have ever owned. I currently Have 315,000 miles on it.

Fun to Drive, Pleanty of Power for me. ok fuel economy. You can actualy Fit 3 car seats in the Back!!!!

Everything is great as long as you can get used to the location of all the buttons.

Good Used Car Value
By robkn

1997 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

Just bought a '97 base with automatic - has 124k miles.
Rides like a limo - best front seats I have ever seen.
Getting 25 mpg in mixed driving.
Find one that has been maintained and you can keep it forever.
You may spend some repair money every year, but it is cheaper than a car payment.

Ride, handling, brakes, seats, good a/c.

Needs 91 octane gas.

Still purrs like a kitten @ 208,500 miles!
By volvoinme

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best used car I have ever purchased! Considering it had 160,000 on it when I bought it. It runs great, gets decent gas mileage and has only died on me once because the fuel pump quit! (Was the original) All I have to say is volvo might be an expensive car to buy, but like the old saying goes "You get what you pay for" I will buy another volvo, as this one is not my last!

I think the whole car is my favorite feature! It still looks great, gives a nice ride and everything works! Way to go volvo!!

The only issue I have had with the car is the dashboard seems to be loose and rattles alot over bumps, but considering that the car is 14 years old, I think I can live with it!

Great drive; nightmare A/C
By Cat

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

Got a great deal on this used car -- below Blue Book -- and it has definitely been worth the money. Has always driven great for me; very comfortable (long as you're sitting in the front seat); great power. But I have spent far too much in recent years on what apparently is an unfixable freon leak; a black car w/o AC is unendurable in Florida summers, & the problem is getting worse. Other problems piling up now: elusive, stubborn oil leak has also cost money for several years, hinge on front passenger door broke; cupholder broke, sunroof broke; outside trim coming off; electrical short stops dash lights/turning signal from working. Odometer broke last year at 123K; time to trade this one in.

engine power, front passenger creature comfort, rain/snow traction

I love Volvo, but am considering switching to another brand now that I live in Florida. The A/C problems are just unacceptable, and the mechanics tell me they are commonplace for this European brand. Volvo really needs to get a handle on climate control for US climates; this ain't Sweden, guys.