2020 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

$18,895

Save as much as $4,876
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Amazing car.

Luigi Battaglioli, 06/25/2020
1.4T S ULEV 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

This car is awesome. It’s fast, it’s sleek looking, and it’s full of the coolest bells and whistles like adaptive cruise control, CarPlay, wifi, and remote access from my phone. It’s fun to drive, it feels safe, and it was really affordable. I got one heck of a deal on it. I’d recommend this car to anyone, especially as a first car. It’s awesome.

Bye bye BMW

Germanaficionado, 11/11/2020
1.4T SEL SULEV 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

This car is absolutely amazing. I love that it has all the modern features and then some compared to my 2016 BMW 335i. The acceleration is very quick especially if you venture into manual mode. I typically leave the car in it's sport setting because it feels like it handles much better however if I'm crusing or low on gas I'm for sure in ECO. Speaking of gas the fuel economy is spectacular!!! I have gone over 520 miles to be specific during long distance drives. I can easily make a long distance trip on 2 tanks such as Austin to Denver. On a daily note I am closer to 40 mpg and depending on how heavy my foot is but never below 25mpg. I liked how the handbook had recommendations on how to be economical by not filling the car up with gas unless you are on a trip. This has saved me sooooo much money! Also not having extra items in the car to weigh it down. The LED bulb headlights on the Sel are also perfect if you live in dark areas and light up so much however I'm still not a fan of the auto headlights as the tend to flash other drivers and there is no quick way to shut it off without flashing again. The sound system by beats is actually really amazing and I have no complaints. I dont like that my phone always triggers the seatbelt warning in my passenger seat but heavier items don't but there isn't any real space to place the phone as I have a note 20 and also had the issue with my galaxy 10+. I would buy this car again and again and tell everyone it's worth every penny. I giggle inside seeing audis and fancier cars that have the same stuff but cost way more. Me and my bank are happy hopefully yours will be too! Happy driving!!!!

Very Good Fuel Mileage

David B, 05/19/2020
1.4T SEL ULEV 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I rented a 2020 VW Jetta I think with a 1.4T engine and Automatic transmission for 4 days. Overall I liked the car and I actually found the car to be the most fuel efficient model I have ever driven by far. I drove 375 miles two ways and was shocked at the fuel efficiency. At first I suspected the fuel gauge was malfunctioning as I drove for over an hour at highway speed ( little to braking and maintaining steady rate of travel). I had intentionally turned off the Economy mode, automatic engine Start/Stop system and had the transmission in sport mode. After 1 hour of driving the needle on the fuel gauge had hardly moved. Eventually I pulled off at a rest stop/fuel station and tried topping off the fuel tank to get an idea of whether the fuel gauge was working or not. I was only able to fit between 1-2 gallons of gasoline in after driving at least an hour at about 70mph. I obviously had to estimate some but provided the fuel gauge was accurate and knowing how much fuel I had filled the tank with I figured that for a 375 mike highway trip I had only used about 6-7 gallons of gasoline. As that works out to as much as 60mpg I figured it was incorrect. On the return trip I had the car systems set up the same way yet drove somewhat less conservatively as I had realized I was hardly using any fuel. I had completely topped off the fuel tank at the start of the return trip and did not refuel along the way. At the conclusion of my trip I refilled the fuel tank in the same exact manner to find I could only fit a little over 7 gallons of fuel. That would mean I was getting slightly over 50mpg in actual highway use. I drove at the speed limit or greater the whole way with little braking or unnecessary acceleration which does improve fuel efficiency. The only other possible contribution to such high fuel efficiency might be that I generally try to follow another vehicle traveling at a similar rate of speed. Not close enough to be unsafe ( at least 3 car lengths behind if not more). But it might have provided some assistance. However I drove the same way I drive regularly and the best fuel mileage I normally achieve is 35mpg and that would be in a Ford Focus ULEV. So the only conclusion I can reach is that this car is extremely fuel efficient. The only real complaint is that at highway speeds if one has to decelerate rapidly it does feel like the back end of the car gets very sensitive to small changes in direction and feels a little squirrelly.

Ad
Build Your Jetta GLI
At a Glance:
  • 7 Colors
  • 5 Trims
  • $27,145starting MSRP

So far it run great.

Ali, 04/02/2020
1.4T SEL ULEV 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

very quiet in cabin ,shift very smooth and i like to drive with this Jetta.

great of gas awful on oil!

Anne, 12/05/2020
1.4T S SULEV 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

We have had our Jetta for 5 months and the oil light came on at 7000 miles. Checked the dip stick and there was nothing on it. I took it to the dealership and they told me it was perfectly normal. This particular engine tends to burn oil more than others. He said we should be checking our oil at ever other gas fill up.....who does that? Especially with a brand new car. I think it made me more mad that they make it out to be nothing than the fact that it's an awful car that I have to pump oil into every 1000 miles.....and not just any oil synthetic. Why make an engine that requires such expensive oil if all its going to do is burn it. Don't buy this car not only is it poorly made but the dealership will not help you get the problem fixed...