Used 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Lots of get up and go!
By Susan M.

2014 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Connectivity (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Peppy little car, handles very well. Mileage is great! But gas tank only holds 12.5 gallons! I bought it to run around town in and have never had a problem with it! Just hit 60k miles! Maintenance is easy, just replaced brakes, pads, and tires!

Manual Transmission Broken at 64K miles
By Disappointed

2014 Volkswagen Jetta 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

VW quality is gone. Very cheaply made. Had software update and mileage has gone down. Windows will stop working because of a cheap plastic pin and cost $380 to fix. Had to replace radio under 30K miles - lots of dots on the screen. Had to replace windshield wiper motor at 34K miles (out of warranty) VW split cost to fix. Cup holder will fall through as tabs are too short to hold holder in place. Now at 64K miles heard clanking while driving and am told I need a new transmission at 64K miles! Waiting to hear if VW will extend warranty to fix. Very disappointed in this car!

I love my TDI
By Aron

2014 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan w/Premium (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought this car with less than 20 miles on it when I traded in my 2002 1.8T Jetta GLS with a 5 speed manual. I just passed the the 73,000 mark, and haven't had any reliability. Unlike my old one, my current Jetta does have plastic trim on the doors and trunk hinges that rob trunk space, neither are the end of the world. It also isn't quite as fun to drive. It does, however, have a great build quality and provides a better overall driving experience. The seats are more comfortable, and there is little more refinement in handling which more than makes up for the slightly less sporty feel. Both mean I can drive longer without feeling fatigued. The manual gearbox feels just like my old one, but with one extra gear. It is still fun to drive and more so than any other hybrid or diesel in its class (according to car magazine reviews). Before I had the emissions fix, which only had a slight impact on my fuel economy, I was averaging close to 50 miles per gallon in warm weather with mostly highway driving without even trying. If it was pure highway driving in warm weather I could get above 50. The cabin and trunk are larger than my old Jetta, and it looks and feels more like a mid-sized car than a compact. On the occasions when I carry more than one other person, there is a lot less complaining about space. At $25,000, what other car is as fun to drive, spacious and fuel efficient my Jetta? The interior and exterior styling has been criticized by many, but I actually like it better than its competitors. It is understated and doesn't scream "look at me" like a narcissistic teenager. As for creature comforts, it still has an impressive Fender audio system, Bluetooth, heated seats, sunroof, rear view camera, heated outside mirrors, and a soft touch dashboard. I don't need all of the other "techy" stuff. If I were to do it again, I'd by the same car. I'm sold on VW for life. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is because of two slight, intermittent noises: a squeaky noise when the air conditioning fan is set to "2" and a rattle in the dashboard. The latter may or may not have arisen after I hit a deer a few years ago.

Power house!
By Steven G

2014 Volkswagen Jetta SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought this car used 2 years ago from rental car company with 50k on it. Because I like speed I got the car tuned with apr stage 1 with a downpipe, and let me tell you WOW. 28mpg city and 0-60 maybe in the low 6s I beat tuned focus STs all the time. Stock this car performance wise beats most others in its class with mpg to power in consideration. But after the tune it is no contest. The ride is good not great for cornering really fast but I'd rather not feel every crack anyways. Seats are comfortable, taken the car on many 3+ hour trips and no issues. Although the interior quality is a bit lacking.

Great car with some drawbacks
By Brian C

2014 Volkswagen Jetta 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was a former lease car with less than 2,000 miles when I bought it. I liked the fact that it didn't have a lot of bells and whistles (I test drove a 2015 and it had a lot of features I didn't need; heated seats, keyless entry, etc.). This one starts with a key and has no superfluous buttons on the steering wheel. Nice, clean efficient design inside and out. I also like the solid feel when I close the doors. Overall I like it, but it has flaws. Being an automatic and not the turbo model it accelerates like a slug. The stiff suspension is a plus and minus; it has a solid feel but you feel every bump in the road. The steering is a bit loose as low speeds but very nimble at higher speeds. On the whole I'm happy with the car.