Used 2006 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews

Used Matrix for Sale
Select your model:
12345...29

Pros
Cons

An Excellent Car with some flaws

Jay, 10/13/2018
4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2006 Matrix with 4WD from a dealership that purchased it from the original owner. The car had about 60k miles on it when I bought it and over the course of 4-years, and ending up selling it with just shy of 200k miles. I rated it 4-stars, but would have rated it 4.5 stars if that were possible on this site. The car was incredibly reliable the entire time I owned it, only needing to do standard maintenance and repairs the entire time (brakes, oil, fluids, one battery replacement, and tires). The only mechanical issue I has was a defective wheel baring that made a terrible noise when I drove it, but I ended up forgoing this repair and selling it as is with this issue. I also replaced the radio which started having issues as well. But outside that everything worked great the entire time I owned the car. My main issue with this car is how underpowered it felt. I always had issues merging into traffic with it due to poor acceleration. The car really struggled to maintain its speed over 80mph, especially if there was any sort of incline. I feel like if this car had an extra 30HP it would have gone a long way in resolving this issue. My other complaint involves the 4WD system which didn't feel as grippy and stable in slippery situations as it should for having 4WD, but it still did never well in snow and rain. Other than that, this was one of the best cars I ever owned and only sold it to upgrade to a new car. I'd highly recommend this car!

I Love My Matrix

Heather, 08/01/2008

I bought my Matrix Certified Used from my local Toyota dealer almost a year ago and I am loving my Matrix! The cargo room is awesome (we like to fold down the back seats and sleep in there on camping trips) I have been so thankful to have the cargo room because I have needed it many times! The gas mileage is AMAZING! It has plenty of pep but as other reviewers mention a little more power would be nice at times. I think the new 2009 model is cool looking but after taking a look at the dealer I think I like my 2006 better, the new one seems like they got cheap with the materials a bit. The nice shiny gauge and stereo display are now a faux silver plastic, and overall it does not seem as solid

Matrix Driver

flmthgrl, 01/10/2010

Great little car, handles well in snow. fun to drive, but can be a bit of a noisy ride. Wish AWD version got better mileage. Even though this car is small, it is very adaptable with fold-down seats, hatchback etc.

The zippiest little Toyota!

John Appleton, 12/27/2016
XRS 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We have a 2006 Toyota Matrix XRS. It is a rare trim of Matrix, not a lot were built. It is one of the best cars I have ever owned. We have the 6 speed manual, because it is just simply more fun in the XRS. We have done 0-60 m.p.h. in 6.5 seconds! That's crazy fast for this kind of car. My only complaint is the rear seat cushion comfort. Not bad but not the best. Front are amazing. Maybe a leather option ? Great car!!

In the Matrix

86Ciara, 07/01/2008

I love this car. For a 4 cylinder this car is smashing!! For some reason this car just likes to go fast. Got a speeding ticket doing 97 mph :0 & no the paint did not peel off while I was re-entering the atmosphere. Steep upgrades not a problem just flip the OverDrive button and you're climbing!! I keep up with regular oil changes & maintenance to keep my baby running smooth.

12345...29