Used 2006 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews

Used Matrix for Sale
Select your model:
12345...29

Pros
Cons

Matrix AWD

Steve, 04/11/2008

This is my wife's car and she loves it. It is great around town, nimble, solid. She picked it mainly because of the hatchback and fold flat rear seats which are very nice. Great for golf clubs. Now has 25K miles and we did have a check engine light that required replacement of an oxygen sensor under warranty. One thing that I consider a defect was the factory tires. The front left tire wore on one side enough to require replacement after only 15K miles!!! Of course they wouldn't honor anything since they were not rotated every 5K miles. Replaced all 4 tires and had the front end aligned and it was very close to in specs so don't know what caused the tire wear.

2006 Matrix XR Manual-Front Wheel Drive

acf, 07/22/2010

Bought new to replace a 1992 Tercel and accommodating a rear facing car seat. Bought the 5-speed because the automatic seemed sluggish. Back area is great for a dog. The performance of the front wheel drive (even with snow tires) is not stellar. I now live at the top of a hill in upstate NY and wish I bought the AWD. Great commuter car which gets > 30mpg on the highway. Comfortable enough for long trips. I would buy another (albeit in AWD).

No rear a/c and poor driveability

smezbryant, 05/22/2009

No fun to drive! Plenty peppy for 4 cyl, but handling isn't fun. I got the base model which was a mistake--it didn't have basic safety like ABS or side curtain airbags. It's super cute on the outside, has good room in the backseat. Front cup holders are too skinny for most drinks.

longest car ever owned

MWhite, 09/04/2018
XRS 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

The sheer reliability of this little car is the best reason to own it. We bought it in 2006 and just traded it in a few days ago. No major problems, low maintenance cost, it never let me down!

Converted my Base Model Matrix

Jimmy, 04/09/2017
4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car last year from an owner in Irvine, CA. It was bone stock, I didn't like the way it looked because it's a base model. The car did not come with rocker panels, rear bumper nor front bumper lip. I want to give a shoutout to Toyota for "prewiring" this car, meaning all modifications can be installed because there are wires hidden inside the chassis. You just have to find them. I was able to install OEM power mirrors, cruise control on my steering wheel, fog lights, and the 115v inverter. Really happy that finding parts was not a difficult task because the Matrix shares OEM parts with the Pontiac Vibe and the 9th gen Corollas. If you guys have any questions or want to know more about installations for this car, please join our "Toyota Matrix Enthusiasts/Owners page" on Facebook! Thanks for reading! 10/9/17, So here's an *UPDATE* on what I did to my Matrix. I replaced the stock suspension with lowering springs from Progress (drops 2.2 F and 2.2 R), bought a rear bumper with spoilers and rocker panels from a crashed XR, replaced the clear tail lights with the 03-04 OEM Red tail lights, OEM mudguards, and a Rhino Roof Rack. There's so much more I want to do on this car but I have to learn to save money before spending. Next installation: 03-04 XR front bumper.

12345...29