Used 2004 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 277 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Love it!
By Monica

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great car, all I hoped for!

From start to 191K+ trade-in, My Lil Toyota Matrix
By Chris Kuhn

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I just recently traded in my 2004 Toyota Matrix. The original A/C made it through four months ago. This car has been through it all, and managed to have a working power sunroof, working power windows and locks and an interior and exterior in good condition after 14 years and nearly 192K miles. This is one hearty and practical car, comfortable to ride in and fun to drive. My only complaints were - out of the gate, the original battery died in the first few days and I experienced issues with the alarm system not deactivating if I parked in certain areas in line with cell towers or other radio signals that would interfere, but apparently this is common with other Toyotas and Lexus vehicles. But I must admit: I'd always heard Toyota cars and trucks last a long time, and this one definitely did. If I didn't lose my A/C here in hot and humid Florida with rainy spring and steaming summer around the corner, I probably would have kept it to 200k miles and beyond. Great car!

2004 matrix!best money ever spent!
By pj

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

owned a 2004 Toyota matrix hatch used,had roughly 60k on it,zero problems!Honestly car saved our(wife,and myself)lives. We were struck during construction while stopped by a semi traveling 73MPH.killed both dogs and father in law,broke 3 ribs of my wife(driver) and gave myself a severe brain injury. But 6+ years later-i'm divorced,and healing wonderfully!Purchased a hylander hybrid last december.absolutely wonderful vehicle! I swear by toyota!never had any issues with the matrix-good car for good price!What vehicle would've made out when stopped when struck by a loaded tractor trailer?none that I know of

167k Trouble Free Miles
By Original Owner

2004 Toyota Matrix AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I just sold my Matrix XR after 162k trouble free miles. The only problem I ever had with the car was the original battery failing at 6mo. Even normal maintenance was pretty cheap with the car; (obviously oil, belts, coolant, air filters are really time based and don't vary from car to car) the Matrix was very easy on brakes & gas and decent on tires too.
The car drove well with that nice Toyota balance of good comfort and reasonable handling. The ability to haul stuff is excellent! The rear seats fold completely flat, the front passenger seat also folds, and you can open the entire hatch or just the glass. All together, the combined to make a great car for road trips or oven to the lumberyard for 2x4's. If I could change one thing it would have been power- another gear in the tranny and 20 lb-ft more torque would have really helped (was disappointed with Toyota when the next generation came out and didn't address these issues, they were the only problems with the design).
If you're reading this, you're probably looking at a used Matrix... if it's been well maintained, go for it. It should treat you very well in the long run.

2004 XRS 6speed 166k miles
By eddiem325

2004 Toyota Matrix XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We bought or XRS new, fully loaded except for navigation. We have driven our car all over the east coast. It has never left us stranded. My wife usually drives it and baby's it. When I drive it, I drive it like I stole it. Besides replacing the a/c compressor and switch, the only thing we've had trouble with was cheap plastics and the clutch. Our 1st clutch went at 80k miles and is ready to go up again at 166k miles. Will invest in the heavy duty clutch this time. A small oil leak developed at 150k miles on the valve covers. We love our '04 matrix so much we are looking for another "03 to '05 before they're all gone and high mileage.

My wife loves the 6 speed manual tranny. The 6 cd changer stereo sound was nice but now needs speakers. The 110 volt receptacle was awesome for her laptop charging along the foldable front seat for college. The versatile seating arrangements have been awesome for Home Depot runs to throwing my bike in to family vacations up and down the east coast. Moon roof rocks too. Great handling with 17' rims, but the tires get pricey. My son is 13 and wants one for when he starts driving. It's been a great family car. Handled his car seat well. 32 miles per gallon rocket. Added a hitch which was bolt on because Toyota had welded bolts for a hitch already. Use it to move my jet boat around our yard.

Bring back the 6 speed 180hp 1.8 liter motor with a heavier clutch. They improved the front facia which was too low and often scraped up in '05. There were some cheesy plastic parts inside such as panel covers. The liftgate cover eventually fell off. Road noise and a stiff ride was my only complaint. My wife loves the ride and said she loved the sporty stiffness and handling. To each his own. My Dodge Ram has half the mileage of our Matrix and has been in the shop twice if not three times as much.