Used 2004 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews - 278 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Matrix Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Love it!
By Monica

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Great car, all I hoped for!

From start to 191K+ trade-in, My Lil Toyota Matrix
By Chris Kuhn

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I just recently traded in my 2004 Toyota Matrix. The original A/C made it through four months ago. This car has been through it all, and managed to have a working power sunroof, working power windows and locks and an interior and exterior in good condition after 14 years and nearly 192K miles. This is one hearty and practical car, comfortable to ride in and fun to drive. My only complaints were - out of the gate, the original battery died in the first few days and I experienced issues with the alarm system not deactivating if I parked in certain areas in line with cell towers or other radio signals that would interfere, but apparently this is common with other Toyotas and Lexus vehicles. But I must admit: I'd always heard Toyota cars and trucks last a long time, and this one definitely did. If I didn't lose my A/C here in hot and humid Florida with rainy spring and steaming summer around the corner, I probably would have kept it to 200k miles and beyond. Great car!

2004 matrix!best money ever spent!
By pj

2004 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

owned a 2004 Toyota matrix hatch used,had roughly 60k on it,zero problems!Honestly car saved our(wife,and myself)lives. We were struck during construction while stopped by a semi traveling 73MPH.killed both dogs and father in law,broke 3 ribs of my wife(driver) and gave myself a severe brain injury. But 6+ years later-i'm divorced,and healing wonderfully!Purchased a hylander hybrid last december.absolutely wonderful vehicle! I swear by toyota!never had any issues with the matrix-good car for good price!What vehicle would've made out when stopped when struck by a loaded tractor trailer?none that I know of

Amazing car all around
By Michael

2004 Toyota Matrix XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've never owned a car I liked better. In fact, when kids came along and we needed to upsize one of our cars to a mini-van, I traded in my newer Honda Civic which had a lot fewer miles. The Matrix had proven itself a better car all around. This car is very comfortable for someone under 6 feet tall. It's robust, has tons of cargo space and gets good gas milage 30 mpg hwy. I use mine to commute 50 miles to work everyday and another 50 miles back home. Last time I checked it had about 240,000 miles on the odometer.

167k Trouble Free Miles
By Original Owner

2004 Toyota Matrix AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I just sold my Matrix XR after 162k trouble free miles. The only problem I ever had with the car was the original battery failing at 6mo. Even normal maintenance was pretty cheap with the car; (obviously oil, belts, coolant, air filters are really time based and don't vary from car to car) the Matrix was very easy on brakes & gas and decent on tires too.
The car drove well with that nice Toyota balance of good comfort and reasonable handling. The ability to haul stuff is excellent! The rear seats fold completely flat, the front passenger seat also folds, and you can open the entire hatch or just the glass. All together, the combined to make a great car for road trips or oven to the lumberyard for 2x4's. If I could change one thing it would have been power- another gear in the tranny and 20 lb-ft more torque would have really helped (was disappointed with Toyota when the next generation came out and didn't address these issues, they were the only problems with the design).
If you're reading this, you're probably looking at a used Matrix... if it's been well maintained, go for it. It should treat you very well in the long run.