Used 1997 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Celica Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Celica model:

fantastic car, love driving it. super gas mileage,
By Bob

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

bought it used for $600, and for a 20 year old car it is amazing that everything still works as good as new. very comfortable to drive, heater and a/c still work great. gets 27mpg in the city, and 33mpg on the hwy. part are sometime expensive when have to find when it has needed them. other then normal maintenance, have only had to replace one rear strut. as with most older toyota's, it does seem to eat about a quart of oil between changes.

As good or better than the new cars of its class
By Dan Warren

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

It's always been garaged. It belonged to my mother who was 90 when she passed it on to me. She bought it new and maintained it regularly and kept all the records. The color is a metallic dk. gold, with gold front and rear plating on the emblems and antennae tip. A couple of minor scratches where the trunk opens and a small paint scratch on the driver side door but no dents. The interior upholstery is excellent and with no tears. The tires are new Perelli with black and polished black twisted spokes size 16 radials. The stereo is new with cd and usb, with four spkrs. New top of the line Sears diehard battery. New wipers. Power adj. outside mirrors. Couldn't be much better if new. I rarely ever see this year and model on the road. It had 49300 miles when I aquired it.

1997 Celica GT Convertible Limited Edition
By dianne714

1997 Toyota Celica GT 2dr Convertible

I love this car so much I just want to drive it all the times. I bought a blue one with 108K miles a few months a go and drove it for 3 months and found another 1997 Limited Edition, black with tan top last week with 135K miles. This one drives like a new car. Everything works nicely and not a tear in the interior. It's beautiful and I am going to enjoy driving this for a long time. I will get the interior cover so that I don't have to raise or lower the top all the time. This is one way to preserve the motors. They are expensive and getting hard to find.

convertible, 5 spd, great MPG, good pick up, handling.

Cup holders, but who cares!!

Amazing little cars.
By 97st6gc5spdhbk

1997 Toyota Celica ST 2dr Hatchback

I'm amazed at the quality & overall craftsmanship Toyota put into this car. It ALWAYS starts. 5 speed combined w/ the 1.8 4cyl makes gas mileage INSANELY good! Full tank gets 400+ miles. Car is also super light & brakes easily/quickly. I've seen alot of people complaining about a 'lack of power' ...really? If you wanted power why would you buy a 4cyl "Sports" car? I've never had a problem passing someone when needed. All-in-all I feel this car makes for aa good investment. 193k without a problem here!

Styling, reliablity, MPG, quality, 5 Speed transmission.

Don't EVER put 8" speakers in a car again. That was odd & very difficult to find 8" replacement features.

Best car by far!!!!
By neecey

1997 Toyota Celica ST Limited Edition 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car 10 years ago, and she runs like the day I got her...Just hit 150,000 miles and have never had any mechanical problems at all. That amazes me! Shocks are starting to show signs of needing replacing, power antennae motor went and that's all I've have to deal with in the last 10 years..I get an avg of 35 MPG. I can't say anything bad about the reliability or drivability of this car.. I LOVE IT!!!!!!