Used 2006 Suzuki Forenza Consumer Reviews - 115 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Suzuki Forenza

View reviews for a specific Forenza model:

Not a bad car at all.... I'm moving on but selling to a family member.
By jdwaters13

2006 Suzuki Forenza 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Great car, I bought my 06 Forenza Wagon with around 67K on it so I knew within the next 20K miles I would need to put some work into it, figured tires and brakes, typical stuff...

The car ran great and I took it to 125K miles and am selling to a family member as I upgraded my personal ride.

The Suzuki does have its known issues like the Transmission Selector Switch, dashboard lights coming on and a few other minor glitches but I did my 3,000 mile oil changes and was very happy with the overall experience.

Roomy interior that I found comfortable and I took plenty of road trips (family lives over 500 miles away). The wagon has lots of room and the 60/40 rear seats allowed plenty of cargo options. I thought the average gas mileage of around 25-27 was pretty good and never found highway driving to be loud or uncomfortable. I like the exterior styling, it looks European thanks to the Italian designer rather than Korean source of manufacture. Power everything, for a base model I love the power windows, locks and cruise control. I replaced the stereo since I wanted a USB port for music. I didn't care for the stock radio.

Transmission range selector switch has been a major issue with this car, I think at one point lawsuits were threatened over it but not a large enough class action got together over it. What I found the best option for me was when work needed to be done I would take it to my local Car-X and get a detailed estimate, then get on the internet and order the parts myself and save well over half what Car-X quotes and hired a mobile mechanic to do the labor at a far less cost than Car-X. Since Suzuki isn't in the US any longer, I would strongly recommend you locate a repair shop and make sure they are comfortable working on a Suzuki.

DO NOT buy this car
By rrowlan6

2006 Suzuki Forenza 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My dad bought this car in 2007 as a temporary commuter vehicle for my mother after she blew up our Ford Taurus. This car has been an absolute nightmare from the start. Shortly after purchasing we ran into some financial troubles (as everyone did) and ended up paying the loan off and now own the car outright. We have put more than $18,000 in this car over the last 7 or 8 years and every time something is fixed, something else blows up. Normal wear and tear on a vehicle are understandable, but we had it in the shop every 3 months at least. Not to mention everything that went wrong with it was a safety issue.

The low fuel light stopped working in 2008 at 36,000 miles. The check engine light has been on almost since the day we got it. Every time it is repaired, it just comes back on for something else. The airbag light is on, which means no airbags in the vehicle. We had all four struts replaced in 2011, they were completely gone. The engine and transmission were replaced in 2013. After that we had a little more luck, but not for long. The front end of the car has been screwed up probably since we bought the car. We've spend hundreds of dollars on alignments and it still hasn't fixed the problem, tires have to be rotated monthly because if not, the front two tires separate.

We've gone through dozens of sets of tires because of this. The PRNDL switch was replaced because it was constantly coming out of gear going down the road, this still didn't fix the problem. There is something physically wrong with the shifter itself. The radio has been replaced THREE times. It barely accelerates, to the point where I have a problem keeping up with traffic. Sometimes it won't start. I've "ran out of gas" with a quarter of a tank before. I get engine misfire codes every day. The car is now at 136,000 miles, with only 38,000 miles on the new engine and transmission. Should I go on? DO NOT buy this car, it will be the worst mistake you've ever made.

Stay away from this car
By nick131

2006 Suzuki Forenza 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst car i have ever purchased.
The transmission control module had to be replaced every 6 months. Loud engine. I bought the car with 6000 miles and at 30k miles head gasket went out. Struts had to be replaced 3 times. So last week i decided to sell it for only 1000 dollars. I lost 8000 dollars but i am so happy to get rid of that piece of junk. Suzuki makes motorcycles NOT cars. Please do not spend your hard earned money on a Suzuki. Good luck finding a dealer for parts, they all closed their doors.

easy to park

engine and transmission reliability. fells very cheap.

Mixed emotions about the 2006 Suzuki Forenza
By mbrown282

2006 Suzuki Forenza Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

As I read other reviews, I noticed a trend. There have been a lot of issues with the Forenza. I don't disagree with any of them. I got mine with 55,000. 34 months and 55,000 miles later I'm now looking for a new engine.
Like a previous reviewer experienced, I too had a problem with the shift switch.
Next to go was my transmission. Those were replaced under warranty.
Other than that I was getting new rear pads almost twice a year.
That's until water all of sudden showed up in my oil. Despite the issues, I like the way the car rides.
Call me crazy, but I'm putting another engine in and driving it until the wheels fall off.

Poor build quality, don't buy
By rick_vandeven

2006 Suzuki Forenza Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My daugher bought a 2006 Suzuki Forenza with 22,000 miles on it in 2012.

Less than a month after her purchase, the transmission selecter switch went out. This switch failed again after 8,000 miles. I stocked up this time.

The car required a full tune up at 35,000 miles. The plugs were dust. I have never seen plugs look this bad in a car with this few miles. I replaced the timing belt while I was at it. I had a hunch this was the next item to fail.

I just replaced the struts with 50,000 miles. They were absolute junk and would not stand on their own without the springs.

Unless you like working on vehicles, do not purchase a 2006 Suzuki Forenza. Poor, poor, poor build quality.

The car is cute. It seems like it is roomy and easy to drive (when it's not in the shop). My daughter is treating it like a poor orphan that nobody wants. Probably because nobody but her does want it.

The Suzuki Forenza is a terrible car. I have never seen such cheap materials used on anything, much less a car. I don't think that you can buy a Suzuki in the States anymore. If you run across a "good deal" on a Suzuki Forenza, please take my advice: spend the extra cash, and buy a Toyota or Honda.