Used 2005 Scion xB Consumer Reviews - 504 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Scion xB Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xB model:

Swiss army knife of cars, the XB Utility vehicle
By Randy Lahey

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've daily driven my Scion for over 40,000 miles so you better know I'm an expert on it. In short for potential buyers: The XB is as reliable as the sunrise and more practical than a minivan for daily operation and frequent trips. It's not fast, 0-60 happens in 9 seconds flat, with the manual, which isn't as bad as you think considering the weed wacker under the hood. Seats 5- 'comfortable with each other' individuals, or four NBA STARS. Headroom and rear storage space is unmatched and un-believable in a car that can get 40mpg while remaining fun, stylish, (if you're into the look) and reliable. It takes turns like any other fun small car would despite the high seating position but low clearance, and throttle response is instantaneous. Oh yeah, AND it does snow fine. Here's MY experience with the xB. In my years, it's never broken down or failed to start once, basic maintenance, original engine and 5 speed manual after 277,000 miles and it STILL does not feel like it's worn out. Think about that for a second. This car has gone to Saturn's rings and back, and has had over $14,000 worth of fuel dumped into it and to my knowledge has shown no trouble. I'm not trying to be dramatic, just think about that. Mine, and another I've driven both have the same acceleration and fuel economy. About that, this car may not be fast, in fact it's so slow my 2nd gen Honda Odyssey would gap it in seconds like dog launching off a deck after a squirrel. Even so, the 5 speed makes it FEEL fast or at least fun. It was my first stick and set the standard for literally every other car I will ever own, I mean I'm never owning another automatic besides my Astro and Odyssey. This car is a gem, a gem like you would never know unless you've been with it for 50,000 miles and across half the world pretty much. This car is like a '90s Honda Civic for people who need to haul more stuff or people, both of which this comically shaped car does great. You might not think a box on wheels sounds like a good idea, but think of it as a sub compact van that works in urban areas and returns great economy. With the rear seats removed, which can be done fairly easily, it's eerie how much you can fit in the back, when you step back and look at the car's size and height. Speaking of a car this size, gas mileage is what you would expect; 30 city, done deal, even if you drive it like I drive it. 35 highway, and chill out and don't pass everyone and you're over 40, easy. Also easy is this car, which being my first manual made it real easy. Clutch is forgiving and simple, but tight and can be difficult not to squeal the wheels when in traffic on a hill, especially since it's so light. The car itself, is also very light, it feels like it's 2,000lbs even but it's actually 2,600lbs with me inside it. I'm 5'11" 200lbs by the way, and my neighbor is 6'6" and fits in the BACK SEAT with room to spare. I wasn't joking about NBA stars. What have I put into it? Less than $500 for about three minor repairs. Rear hatch latch is an electronic button that opens the door, and it WILL break and you will need to replace that. My car having 270k on it with original suspension buckles and bounds whenever I turn in, so replace those shocks, it drives SO much better and more planted. Even with my off road suspension, I feel safe and secure driving it. The worst part about the car is also my favorite part about the car, the manual transmission. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's here, but it's nothing to write home about. It's not a Honda gearbox and it never will be. It's clunky and doesn't like to be shifted hard and rough like a Honda would. This may not be a 'car enthusiast' car but it can be a car guy car, or a utility car, or a first car, up to you, and considering you can get all this for like $1-4 grand, it's one of my all time favorite cars ever made, and it really is a shame it got publicity over it's appearance rather than it's utility and fun. It's not perfect, but in a world of ticky tacky crossovers all the same, there are worse cars you could buy.

Swiss army knife of cars, the XB Utility vehicle
By Randy Lahey

long lasting toyota product
By Pat

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new in 2005. has about 260,000 on it now. bought it because I have three sons over 6 feet tall and this seemed to be the only car at the time that could easily accommodate the height of all us in both the front and rear seats without being crowded. repairs on this car are extremely minimum...I have replaced the water pump, rear wheel bearing, climate control selector cable, and drivers window motor. The belts systems on these cars seem to be a week point, I can never seem to keep them tight enough to avoid squealing in cold weather. The climate control selector is also a weak point, as it always seems to be a bit loose and inaccurate. The paint chips easily and due to the upright position of the windshield it also tends to attract rock chips. The engine is underpowered and on hills on my way to work it has to work hard and turns 4,000 rpm just to keep up to speed. This is a great in-town car, but is not a great highway/trip car. The XBs do not come with cruise control (really, electric windows, but no cruise control?). They also do not come with a center arm rest, which is needed. Road noise is deafening, which is a shame because the stereo system is pretty good...just can't hear it much on the open road. Driving comfort is grueling for anything more than short jaunts around town. Ride is harsh. Don't get me wrong, this is a very well constructed car, and long lasting. It is by far needs the least maintenance of any car I have owned.

The Energizer Toaster
By Carolyn Blakeslee

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2008 with 75,000 miles on it. It now has 250,000 miles on it and runs like a top -- my mechanic can't believe it has that many miles on it. Other than a snapped fan belt four years ago and a starter motor that wore out last year, routine maintenance has been all it has needed: oil change every 3,000 to 4,000 miles, brake pads/tires when needed, one transmission flush, replace an A/C valve, drop in a new battery once or twice, that's been it. The seats are cushy compared with the cardboardy seats of the Hyundai Accent I owned; LOTS of leg room in the back seat, which was surprising; LOTS of head room throughout; great cargo with easily folded-down seats; great road feel with front wheel drive. The speakers sound tinny and it doesn't have cruise control, but it doesn't matter that much. Overall, this is the best car I've ever owned. UPDATE: The stereo system was an add-on that includes a DVD player. I just learned that when the volume is low, THAT is when the stereo sounds tinny. However, when turned up, it sounds great -- all the words of songs are audible, etc. Still the best car I've ever owned.

Love my Toaster!
By Beth

2005 Scion xB 4dr Wagon (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 2005 xB for 2 years in May. It's so much fun to drive and it's so spacious, which it doesn't look like from the outside. I have a toddler, so getting him in and out of a carseat can be difficult, but it's so easy in my car. There's plenty of head room and leg room. I also love that there's great space for storage. I take a ton of gear with me everywhere I go and I've never been out of room. I haven't had to do hardly any maintenance on it, other than routine stuff. I did have to replace a belt in it that snapped at one point, but it was an inexpensive and easy fix. I've put a ton of miles on it and it's still chugging along. My next car will definitely be a Scion.