Used 2014 Porsche Cayman Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Porsche Cayman Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cayman model:

Pure Perfection
By Tbirdszz

The best Porsche

Hell of Ride. Worth the bucks Cayman S is best
By Marcus Schaefer

2014 Porsche Cayman S 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 6M)

Electronics can be challenging but dealer is helpful. Get the Cayman S, less than 325 hp might disappoint.

Superb vehicle
By Whirld Traveller

This is my 3rd 718 and it won't be be my last

Remarkable car...
By Chris L.

2014 Porsche Cayman 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 6M)

First, I am an engineer in the world of transportation, mostly left brained with appreciation of art and music, hyper critical of all things automotive and not prone to hyperbole. This all started with a 2007 Cayman. In 56000 miles the car never broke once, nothing. One headlight bulb burned out and the batteries in the wheel sensors went to sleep. No leaks, no oil consumption, original brakes, 1.5 sets of tires. The car kept running while driving through the full force of a hurricane in Texas. Tractor trailers pulling doubles, carrying giant windmill blades totally buried the car with tire wash several times, the car never noticed, it managed "as bad as it gets" with grace and control, flawless. My faith in Porsche is rock solid. The 2014 Cayman; driving back from Lake Tahoe, pull off into a Porsche dealer and sit in a 2016 Cayman, it has me at Hello. Can't afford new, but CPO solves the problem with an anthracite brown, base 2014, with tan interior and 9600 miles on the odometer. Dealer research (not CARFAX) shows 3 software updates, no service problems, wrote a check, car is mine. This car is unbelievable, not an engineering term. It spent 2 winters in New York State. The car is flawless. Handling, motor, PCM, comfort, climate control, lighting, PDK etc., flawless. I learned to fly years ago, this is better. History puts 7 BMW sedans in my driveway, so far this is better. The car knows what I expect from it, before I ask. Not a car word, but the experience is "personal", balanced, involving. It's more like you wear the car then drive the car. My hope is the 2014 can live up to the delivery of the 2007. Time will tell the story, but for now "remarkable" fits best.

In the end I sold this remarkable car. The emotional burden every time I left the car parked somewhere and the thought of something happening to it was not worth it. I know of more than one person who has taken the same path. The car was resold in less than 12 hours. I wanted to purchase a Porsche SUV, but could not afford it.

As a final comment, I believe Porsche will live to regret moving the Cayman to 4 cylinders.

Base PDK is the daily driver king
By Don

2014 Porsche Cayman 2dr Coupe (2.7L 6cyl 6M)

My 2016 base model Cayman has the PDK transmission. This is my daily drive, as such, economy & reliability were important considerations. I constantly obtain 31/32 MPG at 80+ MPH. In spite of consistent reviews that claim the base engine lacks power, I find the 275 HP adequate and the base Cayman a blast to drive on open roads. The base engine would most likely lack required power to be competitive in a high performance track race, especially when powering out of turns for maximum lap times, but since I'll never get it on a race track, shes plenty fast. The PDK transmission maximizes the cars performance, it's split second shifts can't be matched by man. I got the standard 18" wheels & passed on every other option other than navigation, comfort pkg & sport steering wheel. After adding transportation fees and a clear bra I wangled a deal of $56,000 plus tax&license. I've had the car 7 months & 5,000 miles with no issues or regrets. If your thinking about a sports car, I would strongly recommend the base Cayman with PDK as a consideration.
As of mid April 2017, I have nearly 8,000 trouble free miles on my base Cayman. On my latest weekend trip it got a whooping 33.6 MPG at 80/85 MPH!! The only negative is the cost of maintenance, the 1st oil change ran nearly $350!!! I'm told the 2nd service will be nearly $750.00 AND the 4th or 40,000 service is an astronomical $1500!! These are little mentioned details not provided by Porsche dealers during the buying experience. I do love the car, so I'll pay & hopefully keep it 10 years. Just a reminder, mine is a 2016 model with the 2.7 liter six cylinder. The new 2017 Porsche Cayman's are now designated 718 models and have new 4 cylinder turbo charged engines, a design that's yet to be proven.
It's now April 2018, I have 11,000 miles on the odometer without a hitch. All the hype about the base model with 275 HP being slow, is strictly MFG spin to get buyers into high end models for more profit with a chance to visit your local jail. My battery was marginal so the dealer installed a new one under warranty. The car is all I expected EXCEPT for the cost of maintenance. The 10,000 mile service did cost $350.00, & the 2 yr (or 20,000 mi) service cost me over a grand and now I understand the 40,000 mi service is nearly TWO GRAND!!! I also head from Porsche service reps that the 718 Turbo Cayman is even more!! So be prepared to take out a 2nd on your house once a year.