Used 2005 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews

Used Altima for Sale
Select your model:
12345...10

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

200k and going strong

MishaBella, 10/01/2015
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used and have had it for the last 6 years. I haven't been the best with maintenance on the car, and I think that's important to note. I regularly went 7-10k miles before an oil change. The car has over 200k miles and has had very few issues. Engine mounts have been replaced, ignition coil, rotors and wheel bearings... The only irritation I've had is with the headlights. They have been replaced more than I would have expected and they get very cloudy. Otherwise this car is Ah maze ing! Amazing... My son and I took a road trip from Cali to Arizona and back (where it turned over 200k) and the car was completely reliable. We were comfortable and had fun driving fast and without caution to the age and mileage. The head unit and rear speakers were upgraded for current technology. My son is excited to have this car as a sophomore in college when I get a new one. We also own an Xterra... Oh should note the interior space is better than most midsize suv. Our family is much more comfy in the Altima then some suv's we've rented, way more space then the Xterra.

5 out of 5 stars

Best car I have ever owned.

sheer, 03/01/2014
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It really is the best car I have ever owned! I basically just drive it. I bought from a friend six years ago with 50,000 miles. Now I have 276,000 miles on it and all I have done is basic maintenance, struts, and one sensor. It never breaks down. The motor still runs smooth. It's still peppy, though I don't push it like I did when I first bought it. I expect to see well over 300K miles out of this one.

4 out of 5 stars

Few issues but overall solid

Scott Swindells, 08/09/2015
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this as my first new car out of college in July 2005. It's had a few minor issues but overall has been a solid vehicle. I only expected to keep it for 5 years, but now i'm planning to drive it until it's dead. It had 2 issues brand new from the factory, both warranty repairs, but both left lasting impressions on me. First, one of the rear tail lights wasn't plugged in. Didn't know for a couple months until leaving a bar one night a coworker called me in a panic and said you better get off the road you have a bad tail light! Took it to the dealer and they were like wow it wasn't plugged in all the way and some pins were vent. The other issue was also terrifying. If i was making a right turn with my blinker on, as i'd exit the turn the blinker would click off, and so would my head lights. Took a bit of jiggling to get it to come back on. Other than oil changes at ~6000 mile intervals I've only had minor repairs: 1. Crankshaft position sensor (as did everyone else with this car) at 60k 2. Serpentine belt at 90k 3. DIY Brakes and rotors at 90k (needed rotots at 50k though) 4. Front end inner tie rod at 150k 5. Front struts at 150k (needed them since 100k though) The car has really good interior quality. Nothing feels cheap. Leather is nice. Fabrics are nice. Bose is nice. Nothing is falling apart even at 10 years old. Good performance for a 4-cyl. Good gas mileage for a car of the era. The biggest negative about the car is road noise, both bumps and wind. After a highway trip i feel deaf.

Long lasting low maintenance

Goxy, 12/12/2015
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

In 2004 bought 2005 model and during these 11 years and 195,000 miles did one tune-up, changed oil, filter, tires, breaks, and battery. In addition, I own 2010 Maxima and 2011 Altima. Comparing to my friend's cars, Nissan is a way better than any other one.

3 out of 5 stars

The pain of loving a nightmare

Sarah Elizabeth, 03/06/2015
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my nissan for 8 yrs and she ran smooth when all was proper but I was one of the unfortunate owners that ran into a bad catalytic converter. Common with this car 02-06. Started with a simple overheating issue. Once the water pump, radiator fans, and thermostat were all replaced it no longer overheated codes read bad crank/cam pos sensor, fuel ratio issue 0420. replaced the sensors, soon followed by a head gasket fix and new valve cover gaskets, played nice for a few months then started misfiring bad again out of nowhere because soon to be diagnosed bad catalytic converter. engine hasn't seized so time to take it apart again and see if it's worth fixing. Total Nightmare. Update: sold the car, never fixed the cat or redid the head gasket, really not worth the trouble if you ask me. I bought a Honda Accord for less than the cost if those repairs, and honestly the cost maitnance on that car in comparison is truly a relief.

Got screwed by Nissan again

nissancrap, 07/02/2011
3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2005 altima SE 3.5 with 80K miles. It was a fun car to begin with and plenty of power and torque for a $25,000 car. But I had spent more monies on this crap even more than my 2002 BMW. I ran into the timing chain tensioner guide cracking issue @40K miles which I was lucky it still covered warranty. Many owners were not so lucky but have to pay close to $2,000 after warranty expired. But after Premier Nissan at Fremont, CA fixed it, the air conditioning stopped working. Took it back to Sunnyvale Nissan to get it fixed again. The car interior had some strange rattling sounds which the dealers thought it came from the dash panels and never able to eliminate it.

4 out of 5 stars

Very fun car. Reliability can be so-so though.

ace340, 03/22/2014
3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used in 2009. I have the 3.5 SE trim with pretty much all available addons. This car is very fast and handles extremely well, its a slick car. Good interior too, although getting a little dated in 2014. Unfortunately my reliability has been so-so and I've had to shell out some expensive repairs. Timing chain, Two O2 sensors, Crankshaft positioning sensor, Catalytic converter (OUCH!). I have 86k miles too, mostly freeway driving. When this car is up and running its a blast to drive, but reliability can be really spotty sometimes. The car does rattle sometimes too when driving, but nothing too alarming with the music on.

2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

David Davis, 09/21/2007
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is great! The way it looks and drives makes it the best sporty car I've ever owned.

8 years old, 148,000 miles, still happy

ronrn, 12/27/2012
3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE was the first NEW car I ever purchased, having only purchased used cars before. I have been very pleased with the car. I now have around 148,000 miles on the car and it is still running strong. I have not had any major problems. I have gone through the original set of tires and replaced the tires twice and need to go get new tires again. I first needed the rear brake pads changed at around 100,000 miles. The front pads needed changing for the first time at about 130,000 miles. I'm not sure how long I'll continue driving this before buying a new vehicle; earlier this year we replaced my wife's car with 2013 Ford Explorer (fully loaded Limited), happy with it too.

4.88 out of 5 stars

I love my 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

Zack, 04/16/2010
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this car. It has style, it has performance, it's economically feasible, and it is also reliable. The BOSE sound system is awesome. The red and black leather is totally unique. I feel like I am driving a German sports car rather than your typical Japanese mid-sized sedan. I bought this car right when it came out when it had zero miles on it, and now it has around 68,000 miles, and I have had zero problems with it. I plan on driving this car till the day it dies, which I do not think will be anytime soon. Thanks Nissan, you can pat yourselves on the back for making the 2005 Altima SE-R!

2.88 out of 5 stars

The last Nissan I will ever own.

jalaniz4116, 01/08/2013
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Nissan Altima new, and it has been a big burden. I had the car for a month when the transmission went out. I wish I was joking. The dealership took care of the problem pretty promptly. The Cam-shaft sensors went out, so the car would just stop on me at a low rates of speed. As one could imagine, it was not very safe due to that reason. I have had to replace 3 alternators. 3 of them!!!!!! I have had to replace all the motor mounts & the breaks way too often. After a year, I never felt safe in taking the Altima out of town.

Ultimate Sports Sedan

MartymdSE-R, 12/23/2006
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second Altima and i love it more than any other car that I've ever owned. It combines everyday drivability along with excellent performance! Plus, it won't break the bank.

3.75 out of 5 stars

Run from it like your head is on fire

KarenMarie, 08/18/2010
3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best looking piece of crap on the road. As a highway driver I don't brake much. Curious as to why I had to get new rear brakes at 20k which was just over a year and that was just the start, lost count of my brake jobs. I've had to replace the steering rack, wheel hub, under carriage parts, tie rod, front struts, rear shocks, radiator: within the first 12 months, battery and alternator. And that is just the major repairs. I've lost track of the nuisance repairs. They claim there are no leaks and yet I put oil in it every couple of months. My extended warranty paid for itself many times over. My parting thoughts: Run, run from the Altima like your head is on fire.

3.25 out of 5 stars

AVOID THE 2.5L, You'll love the 3.5L

caseyh1, 01/30/2013
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Nissan quality has went down hill since the 90's. The 2002 -2005 2.5L commonly has the head gasket go bad, before 100k miles. Mine went at 98k miles. If you pay someone it will cost you $1,600. Also it is possible that the forward catalytic converter will go bad, blow debris into your cylinders, and ruin them. WIth cloth seats, the drivers seat is rock hard. The seat doesn't support my thighs, causes pain. The Altima is supposed to ride stiffer and sportier than other cars, but on a really bumpy road it is just torture. The throttle is touchy it just lurches forward in stop and go traffic, I have to put the automatic into 1st or 2nd so I don't get whiplash. Wind noise on sunroof.

2005 Nissan 2.5 S Automatic

m_z, 12/01/2011
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

- This was the roomiest car I've ever really fit into as my previous cars, in order, were: Civic, Corolla then Passat (leased) and my first w/auto transmission. - Bought car in Sept. 2005 used with 20,001 miles on it. Found out it was previously owned by Enterprise Rental, but warranty was almost used up hence price ~6k below retail cost! - Had to buy an extended 3yr. warranty which paid itself off later. Then bought another final ext. warranty for an add. 3 yrs. later. - After many repairs years later, it still works but isn't that fuel efficient, 23/27 city/hwy but winter brings it down to 18/24 city. - Too many repairs now so won't consider another Nissan >:(

4.38 out of 5 stars

Great All-Around Car

Jason, 04/15/2007
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car offers a great driving experience and provides excellent practicality. The brakes hall it down from speed very quickly and have proven to be fade free on multiple trips through mountain roads. Steering is quick and neutral, and the suspension controls body motions without being overly harsh. The engine has a broad powerband, and the automatic transmission almost always shifts at the correct times while holding gears when appropriate. There is a lot of room in the car, even for tall people, and the seating position is very nice. The car has had a bad engine mount, loose rear window, and broken moonroof visor (my fault), all covered under warranty.

Totaled

ijustdontknow, 10/07/2014
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2005 Altima for about 2 1/2 years until it was just totaled in September. I loved this car. I had some issues but she would get up and go when I needed her too. I was having to replace some things but I had to remember she was almost 10 years old and had 208,000 miles... it was time. Not sure I would buy another nissan due to the fact during my wreck I received 2nd degree chemical burns from the airbag. I called the main number for Nissan to find out what chemicals in the airbag were, they had to call someone else to find out. A week later they called me back and said they couldn't give out that information to consumers. Really ??? Its a secret?? I went back to a Chevy..

Not So Ultimate Altima!

Vincent, 08/06/2015
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

This vehicle broke down two days out of the dealership with on 175 miles on it. Apparently there was a faulty sensor issue. The mpg meter will not register but, at last I could see it's estimates I was getting about 1-12 mpg. I then started smelling antifreeze leaking but the dealer could not find the leak. It was the top rail of the radiator seeping and, I had to pay twice to replace it out of warranty. The turning radius is very poor and, you cannot see the steering wheels controls at night. During the day you cannot see the Bose radio controls about high noon as the sun prevents it. I've replaced both steering arms, rear bearings, fixed a leak at the firewall causing water to come into the passenger side floor and, replaced the struts all this was around 90,000 miles. My car now is shutting off at will with codes P1283, PO726, PO797 and, the transmission will not go into fifth gear though serviced at 30,000 intervals. I am now at 127,000 miles and just replaced leaking defective valve covers(causing the oil to reach the plugs) $600.00. I just tuned it up and replaced the fuel injectors $786.00, just replaced the crank & cam shaft sensors, fuel air ratio valve, mass air flow sensor,(2) o2 sensors, all the ignition coils pack $1,400.00 and, I still have not got the car running as as stated it shuts off at will. I will NEVER own another Nissan as when they started making them in the USA, something is definitely wrong. They were excellent cars when made in Japan as I was with them since they were Datsuns.

2005 Altima SE V6 270,000 Miles and counting

frank1981, 08/26/2013
3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

What can I say, My Altima has given the best run! It has had only one problem, Alternator gave in during its first 30,000 miles and was under warranty. For the first 3 years I drove about 30,000 a year. Then I slowed down, drove about 20,000 after that lol Amazing vehicle ! No major problems. I have done tune ups as needed, purchase tires, oils changes & other basic needs.

1.88 out of 5 stars

Junk

madnissan, 03/20/2014
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I beg you please, please, please go look at all of the problems with Nissan Altima on the internet. On a 2005 2.5s there are over 400 Technical Service Bull (TSB). They do not back their products. They have people from the Phillipines trying to answer your questions, you cannot understand them. Never, Never, Never buy a Nissan Product

One of the best

james brown, 03/12/2004
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I think the new changes that Nissan has made to the 2005 Altima are fantastic, I love the new interior and the smoked out front lites are a treat. To see, and drive this vehicle is to love this vehicle.

2 out of 5 stars

Love the car, HATE the maintenance.

Mitchell Navratil, 08/07/2019
3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5L V6 for about 2.5 years now. The car itself is great! Great power, design is beautiful, and many cool features. I bought the car with 110,000 miles on it from a dealership. Immedietly after purchasing it, I had to change the ball joints in the rear. No major problems till a year later. Rust started to appear on the bottom and sides of the car (not a huge problem). The door handle then ripped, brakes went out on front and back, rotor was bent, winshield cracked, alternator went out TWICE, and to top it all off, the transmission failed. After driving the car today, for the second time the transmission has failed. I love the car but there are so many problems constantly happening. Sad to see it go but it has been a real money pit for me. Purchased the car for $5,500 and have put close to $3,500 in it. Pro: great engine, pretty reliable (except transmission), comfortable ride, very clean car Cons: Transmission

Beware!

Nathan, 02/22/2016
2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When test driving this car I thought it was peppy and cornered very well. After having it for 3 months I had to replace the camshaft sensors, ignition coil, and spark plugs. A month later I was told my catalytic converter was shot. Now that I've owned it for ten months i need to have the tie rods and power steering pump fixed. DO NOT BUY THIS P.O.S.!

4.63 out of 5 stars

Love it, But hate it

Mandddddyyy, 01/27/2009
3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car after owning quite a few Chevys, and this is my favorite car to date. I love the power and the handling is great, the car looks great. However I live in upstate NY and we get a lot of snow in the winter, with the TCS it makes it very difficult for me to get around. I have to remember to turn off TCS every time I get in the car if there is any snow. The car absolutely will not go uphill in any snow whether TCS is on or off. And there is a considerable amount of road noise, it always seems like I'm yelling over it to talk or turning the music up very loud to hear.

Buyer Beware!!!!!!

Chelsey, 04/02/2009
2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Be careful about the reviews, this car starts giving you ALOT of trouble about the third year, crank shift sensor replaced THREE TIMES, fuel pump replaced in 2008 and again this week in 2009. Rotors went on back brakes at 42,000 miles. Two sets of tires. From what I have read this has happened to many owners of the Altima. This car is a major lemon! This was my first and last Nissan. I am trading it in this weekend as from what I read the catalytic converter and transmission are the next to go.

4.25 out of 5 stars

Fun Car

Dreese, 06/06/2010
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car for over 2 years, and can't really complain. For a 4 cyl, this car rips. Passing IS NOT a problem. It gets 26-30 mpg and I romp on the gas frequently. Other than a few stone chips, the ext is in great condition. The wheels, hub caps and steel rims should be outlawed. The brakes are the only thing that has given me problems. I've noticed other owners making the same comment. Nissan needs to improve the breaks. The interior looks a little cheap, but it is comfortable, very roomy, and has held up very good. I prefer my Altima over my Xterra in < 4" of snow. After hearing from friends and family about the problems with their "big 3" car, I know I made a great decision!

4.75 out of 5 stars

Some quirks, love this car though

CRM, 11/02/2010
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Altima used 6mths ago. I feel for the price I paid it's well worth it. However, only 6,000 miles after buying it the crank shaft/cam sensors both went out. I'll just say the attitude I got from Nissan was less than caring. I don't want to feel discouraged from my car choice though due to that. My family has owned various Nissans and previously had good experiences. I wish the rear view mirrors bent back on the car. The previous owner had tinted windows and a Sirius radio installed so I enjoy that a lot. :)

9-year Review

romans10nine, 01/13/2014
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, White with Black interior, 5-speed manual. Purchased new in October, 2004. Current mileage: 68,000. I have only needed one repair, and that was a crankshaft positioning sensor, which was discovered by the service engine light coming on. I have used Mobile 1 full synthetic from the beginning. The car literally drives like new.

gutsy family hauler

as, 08/18/2006
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Approx. 2500 mi. driven on a 2005 SE-R bought used, mixed higway and city. This is a car that begs to be driven hard: self restraint is sometimes difficult to exercise. Performance is exciting, even if not exhilarating, much more than enough for the daily grind--you can have some serious fun on occasions. The car strikes a good balance between comfort and performance; but sure it is not a floaty luxury cruiser. Nobody complained about it, however, on an 800-mi highway ride with 4 adults. Creature comforts are OK, fairly simple except for the fancy bose sound and the leather seats that smell so nice. Overall, I got 25-26 mpg paying some attention to my driving, with some fun at times.

5 out of 5 stars

Instrument panel not the best.

Sherry, 10/11/2017
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Recently had the turn signal indicators go out on the instrument panel. Inquired @ the Nissan dealer about repair. Was told that it is not a simple fix with a fuse. They said it was a burned-out bulb. Was told that the entire dashboard would have to be removed...involving extensive labor charges .....all that expense just to replace a little bulb. Am very disappointed in this scenario. I decided to forget about it. (Exterior turn signals work ). '05 Altima has been a good car. The mfgs. just don't want any self-maintaince ....

5 out of 5 stars

Destroyed it, rebuilt it myself, she still runs

Ricer603, 02/15/2020
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Altima with 141,000 on it. The guy before me let it sit outside under a pine tree for over a year. Drove it home with ceased up calipers, a misfire, and a weak starter. Swapped out all the coils and changed the starter motor. Not a week later, I got on a crash and totalled the front end. Two new headlights, radiator, radiator support, bumper, fenders, and hood. Cost me about $800 to source all the parts and a couple days in the garage. She runs as if nothing ever happened. These little cars take a beating and keep on going, all it takes is some love and dedication!!

1 out of 5 stars

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

WOULD RATHER GET A HONDA, 10/12/2016
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

When we purchased my Altima, it was a cheap 3500. Except, it wasn't. My parents ended up dishing out another 1k to fix some of the issues it had in the first week. The O2 sensors had to be replaced, it burned oil, there was a coolant leak and blockage. The heat also didn't work properly as you had to drive 40mph for it to kick in. Plus some other issues such as misfiring and me being stranded on a busy backroad. The mpg also went down when we tried to slow the burning with stop smoke. All of this and more happened before I sold it for a measly 1k, which is more than I thought we would receive. Granted, my parents never told me or they didn't know that this particular vehicle had been in two accidents and had flood damage. Of course, the other '05 Altima they got for my sister also burns oil and other issues have come up in the period she has had it. I wouldn't recommend buying a Nissan.

4.5 out of 5 stars

For A First Car, This Thing Is A Gem.

mycarsnameisal, 12/30/2010
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I am sixteen. This is my first car. I LOVE this car. The only thing I wish was different about it are: *fog lights should come standard on the 2.5SL model. *The passenger side should have power seats. *Should've put more thought into buying a 3.5L V6 *Car jumps a little when first accelerating after the engine being off.

Stuck with a Lemon

joeloeb, 11/25/2004
2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My brand new Altima, less than 1K miles started making a loud noise, coming from the engine. Took it back to the dealer, they said it was the alternator. They had to order a new one. 4 weeks later still no part and the car is undriveable. I have received little satisfaction dealing with the dealership and even less dealing with Nissan USA. They don't know when the part will be in, meanwhile I have a car with 1,000 mile on it, that I am paying for and can't drive. They refuse to take the part out of one of the cars on their lot. Shows you where there allegiance lies, definitely not with the their purchasing customers.

Altima rides on

Tom Haines, 03/25/2017
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This one-owner sedan had a flawless repair record (occasional brake replacement) for its first decade. However, recently needed front driver floor replaced (probably road salt cumulative effect). Driver (my bad) tried to park over an icy snow mound in driveway and unfortunately underside plastic bumper lost that battle, resulting In bumper dent driver side. Mild body dent in passenger rear panel that is only visible from certain angles. Still gets 26mpg and rides and handles more than capably. Tires have under 7,000 miles and interior has no rips or even apparent wear of microfiber /cloth interior. Air conditioning was recently recharged and works like new.

Car ok Floor Rotted out.

Kris Keith, 08/17/2017
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been fairly reliable. It has had the crank position and cam position sensors both fail at different times. This is fairly easy and cheep repair if you have any knowledge, but the latest problem that Nissan knows about and refuses to fix is much more expensive and requires special tools. The floor boards on 2002- 2006 Altima's rots out leaving a gaping hole under the drivers and passengers feet. They even had a class action suit flied against them but it was denied by a judge. This car was bought new and has been taken care of no other spots on this car have any rust at all.

2.38 out of 5 stars

Do not buy

yoly22, 11/03/2008
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been the biggest headache. It has been in the dealer since the date I purchased it. I have maintained the vehicle and for some reason Nissan has not recalled the crank shift sensor. The car has turned off on me while driving the car.It has happened to me on the expressway which was very scary. A month ago my car was at the dealer for this same exact reason I was informed it should not happen anymore now my car is back in the dealer. Such a big safety issue being overlooked.

2.13 out of 5 stars

Poor

altima2.5s, 12/05/2008
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car and less than 200 miles and the transmission does not want to shift out of park, The interior brake light will only come on when the shifter wants to come out of park. The exterior brake lights come on but thats not the problem, the transmission can be released by a pushing a key into the key release slot. But its definitely a hassle to have to have to put a key in there every time to shift into a different position. And that's what the dealership told me to do.

4.5 out of 5 stars

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE-R

SE-R Fanatic, 12/23/2008
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car at a large auto auction. I was looking for a 2005 Altima SE or Maxima SE. Came across this one and fell in love with its design. This car has it all for a stock 4-door sedan. The gas mileage is okay, I am averaging 21 MPG, but that is probably due to the fact that this car wants to be driven hard. This car will flat out fly. I had to by the automatic b/c the wife refuses to learn a manual. The ride quality of this car is good, but not great. This is due to the 18 inch low profile wheels and super stiff sport suspension. This is not your grandpa's Caddy. Bottom line, I would buy this over the competition. Nissan is making some of the best cars on the road.

3.63 out of 5 stars

Unhappy with Nissan

Erin, 12/23/2008
2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first Nissan and I have been very disappointed with the car. The brakes rotors and all went at 40,000, I have replaced the tires all the way around twice Nissan told me that the tires that they put on the car were garbage. They recalled the car for the crank shaft sensor and also had to replace the fuel pump. Yesterday, I noticed it was leaking a small amount of antifreeze. I am looking into buying a Honda or Toyota within the next week, I am afraid that this car is going to be a money pit.

3.38 out of 5 stars

Hidden Problem

Jacquelyn Calhoun, 03/21/2009
2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased this car in July of 2008. It drives great and it has the power that I love in a car. As I read some of the other review it is apparent that the fuel pump is an issue with this car. Driving down the expressway and having the car cut off in morning rush hour traffic is a very scary experience. This may change the way I feel about Nissan and it products. I should have just gotten another Honda they last longer and hold the value better. This was a very costly mistake that I will have to pay for when Nissan should be taking care of the bill.

OK Car

Anna, 04/07/2009
2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Car is a bit noisy. Fun car to drive on the highway, but in town visibility doesn't seem to be that great because the car sits so low. Interior parts are very cheaply made. Lots of back seat space & trunk space. Rattling noises in places can't be detected. Dashboard is sensitive to the sun and is actually deforming/melting up above the steering wheel. Always problems w/the door locks. Car likes to just lock by itself at times. Decent on gas. Front seats don't seem to be too comfortable on long rides. They sit too low as well. Tires seem to wear quickly and seems tire noise is loud no matter what. Biggest beef is the cheap interior parts.

Follow-up After 2 Years: Still Good

David K, 01/29/2010
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

It has been two years since I bought my used Altima, and I'm not loving it any less. Mileage is now at 73K and the car is asking for new brakes and shocks soon. Also, strangely, a motor mount bushing cracked. A few annoyances: Turning radius is too large, brake interlock in auto trans. clicks loudly when coming to a stop, and sometimes hard 1-2 downshifts. Now that I have the bad out of the way, none of the above prevents me from endorsing this car. Car is still comfy, stylish and sporting. Beyond one trim piece cracking, materials quality is satisfactory.

So Far, Super Car

KYBruce, 03/03/2010
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We found this on ebay. Had 45k on it and paid $9900. Can get over 30MPG on hwy. Bose 6CD sounds great. My wife likes the light emerald green color. Leather htd seats are very comfortable. Have always owned Hondas, and this is first Nissan, and so far impressed. The engine is smooth and seems more like 6 cyl. Only negative is this car should have std ABS and side airbags (which ours does not) Would certainly recommend!

3.63 out of 5 stars

Time Reveals Reliability

SmarterNow, 05/06/2010
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've previously owned 4 Nissans. Had balky starting problem/engine miss caused by 2 oil clogged crankshaft and camshaft sensors. Recall reprograms ECM to address safety concerns (of sudden power loss) rather than starting /missing problems. I replaced sensors myself to avoid $300 to dealer. Odometer 64K. Must now watch oil consumption for signs of disintegrating catalytic converters that cause $6000 destruction of engine. 2.5 engine also susceptible to blown head gasket/leaking coolant into cylinders. Nissan (dealers/Corporate) blame irrelevant oil maintenance to avoid reimbursing owners. Many, many complaints on Edmunds website. I'll be looking elsewhere for another brand.

I love my Altima!

TN Driver, 09/24/2010
2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Altima used with 17k miles on it to replace a smaller car that had been wrecked. I wasn't sure about a 4 door family sedan (always had been a "coupe" lady), but I needed something I could haul grandchildren in. It is fun to drive and I love the slightly aggressive lines. My teenage son said "Mom, this is the coolest car!" It has the 2.5l 4-cyl engine, & while the pep from the 6-cyl would be cool at times, I don't want to give up the fuel economy the 4-cyl has.

2 out of 5 stars

stay away from this piece of garbage

wayne, 01/11/2005
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

tupperware car - beautiful to look at but build quality and materials are junk. it has been in the shop more times than i can count with a less than helpful dealership(stealership). had problems starting, ABS light came on for no reason, crank position sensor went, bouncy ride/rear shocks lack rebound damping, intermittent buzzing from under dash area, turn signals stop clicking, lots of rattles etc. Stay away from this one and buy a camry or accord.

4.63 out of 5 stars

after 4 months, still no regrets

James, 02/12/2005
3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I finally bought the 2005 Altima 3.5se with leather sport package, Bose stereo system, fully loaded except for Nav. It took me 8 months to decide on a car and I am so glad I bought this one. I read lots of mediocre reviews, but I only have the most positive things to say about this car. Heard things like interior felt cheap and the stereo was poor quality. I can not agree. The stereo is crystal clear 99% of the time and picks up stations in L.A. which is 150 miles away! Leather is superb, nothing feels cheap about the car. In fact, went test driving some B.M.W 's with a friend and we both liked my Nissan better! It's roomie, sturdy, powerful, and classy. 100% what I wanted!

2.63 out of 5 stars

Pretty from the outside ugly in the insi

Mayra, 03/27/2005
2.5 S 4dr Sedan w/SL Package (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Well let start off by saying that this car is a very nice lookin' one and I could have not been any happier to buy the car. As long as I can remember when I first saw it..I was like "wow I have to get one of those!!" But now that I own one; it's so different from what I really thought it was ......to what it really is. Not only this car made so cheap from the inside and but it also cheap from the outside. Our top of the line "Bose" radio hasn't been working right. Our car has shut off completely while we are driving on the road. Has Nissan fixed it? Ya like 5 times. But guess what it still happens. Many our car was just one bad apple. I should have stuck with Honda.

Altima V6

BVersoy, 06/26/2005
3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is an extraordinary pleasure and alot of fun to drive. Zero to 60 in 6 seconds should be 4 seconds---it moves. It is comfortable and I feel very safe in this car. Unless something changes I will continue to buy the Altima. PS: My husband perfers my Altima over his V6 Camry.

12345...10