Used 2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Electric 1-speed Direct Drive - (10 reviews )

3-kid seats across solid electric
By Electric Dad

2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Was looking for a safe, solidly built electric with modest range for a short commute and weekend errands that could substitute for the kid-hauling minivan in a pinch. Prior to purchase, I did extended test drives (1 day or more) of the Nissan Leaf, Prius Plugin Hybrid, Fiat 500e, and BMW i3, plus a short test drive of the Ford Fusion Energi -- and the B-Class was the only one that satisfied all our criteria. Comfortably fits our 3 car seats in the back seat, including an infant car seat which is not especially narrow. Surprisingly roomy trunk -- unplanned stop at IKEA and was able to haul away a dining table, bench and a stack of pre-assembled chairs; able to throw a bike in back. With seats up, can easily handle a standard grocery trip or light trip to Costco. Unlike most other manufacturers, MB offers a standard 4-year bumper-to-bumper warranty which makes buying used a bit more reassuring. Unlike most other compact electrics, has a solid, quality, luxury feel that you would expect from MB and feels safe at highway speeds. 85 miles on a standard charge, extendable with the extended range option. Recommend getting one with the paddle shifters to easily adjust regenerative braking while driving . Only gripe is some of the display tech and navigation feels a bit dated (more like 2008 than 2014).

Underdog
By E-lok driver

2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

We've been leasing the 2014 (without range extender) for a year and a half. It is our second car, used for SF Bay Area local driving. There are many reviews complaining about charging capabilities and technology and range and value. For us, this was the best value for our small family. I'm 6'2, and frequently ride in back with our small daughter. There is as much space for me as in my Audi A6 wagon. We got this car instead of the i3 because of the subtle styling, and the fact that it handles worlds better, and is more usable in the real world for a family. I'm a big fan of the concept of the i3, and all of the technology it brings to the auto industry, but Riding in the back seat of the BMW is a horrible experience, without operable windows, no handles, and the squirrelly ride, not to mention the suicide door entry. It's great for a work commute, but not for taking the family to the grocery store or the beach. If you want a premium car, and need it for real life short trips, this is it. Pros: interior space. Fit and finish, quiet, quick, regenerative braking modulation by paddle shifters , safety. Cons: should be rear wheel drive (too much torque for front wheel drive), needs charging port lighting.

Great Automobile
By Glenn Bell

2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Make sure to get it with the extended range option - $600 well spent. Range over 110 Miles.

Excellent for an early electric car
By RNRabs

2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

First off, I bought my B-Class used with 10,500 miles for approx. $22k (after taking into account my state tax credit that applies to used electric cars that haven't been titled in my state) - had I paid full price, I'm sure I would consider the value much less. That said, for an electric car, it's exceeded my expectations. The interior and cargo area are roomier than other similar options and it has the Mercedes look and class. The visibility is amazing with few blind spots though I agree the ventilation could be improved and windows will fog on rainy days unless you continually run the system.

While I was nervous about actual range based on others' reviews and some fast driving by myself when I first acquired the car, I've personally found that if you drive somewhat efficiently you can easily make it 90-105 miles on a full charge if you include a good chunk of highway miles in the trip - just this weekend I drove 68 miles round trip from Denver up to elevation in a few different locations in the foothills and back and still had more than 40% of my battery left. I was impressed. That said, battery life significantly reduces in the cold, esp if you turn the heater on. Then I expect no more than 55 miles to be safe.

The only down side is that you feel every pot hole and bump fully.

No, I won't use this car for long road trips but I knew it wasn't ideal for that going in and couldn't be happier with this car.

6 months with the 2014 B-Class
By anonymous

2014 Mercedes-Benz B-Class Electric Drive 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Leased the 2014 B-Class in June of 2015 for $260/mo including the 3 yr maint. Fit and finish is very good, on par with MB standard. Car feels solid and the style makes it blends in with most other vehicles on the road. Descent acceleration at stop lights. I got the multimedia and extended range pkg. The command center is nice, however, even a Hyundai can put a touch screen in their vehicle, and this MB cost twice as much and yet only has a fixed display the show limited info.

Ventilation is poor for the back seats. If I have all the vents open in the front, there is very little air flow to the back. On damp days, if I do not have the A/C on, the windshield fogs up very quickly. Heating and cooling control was tucked way down in the center console, you have to take your eyes off the road and search for the button to make changes -- poor design.

The 1-finger seat fold down design is a welcome improvement. So are the blind spot and 'too close' braking warning. The 'drift off lane' warning needs a program rewrite as it often gave false alerts when I make turns.

The most important point of an EV - range. EPA and MB rated this car at 87 miles. I can only get 62-summer and 55-winter out of it. (Yes, warning for hot summer days (using A/C) and cold winter days (using heater), your mileage WILL vary!). This works OK during the week as I only have a 25 mile round trip commute. However, this limits/eliminates the usage for this vehicle for weekend trips (as EV charger are few and far in between in the tri state area). At lease for me, it is uncommon to travel over 30 miles 1-way to visit a friend/relative or my favorite bar/restaurant. The 60 mile range just doesn't cut it.

I try the 110v/12A charger that came with the vehicle when I first got the vehicle - added 20 miles over a 24hr period. and the salesman assures me that I can charge the vehicle within 8 hrs with this level 1 charger, go figure! With a Clipper Creek HC40, this car needs 3.5 hrs to charge to 100%.

The ride is very comfortable and very quiet. Entertainment system is OK considering the price of the car. Cost per mile is much better than my SUV but just a tag under the 30 mpg Corolla. So the savings will depend on which vehicle are you replacing.

Range charge time, and available charging stations remains to be the weak points for these EVs (at lease at the time this review was written Jan2016).

At end of lease (Jun 2018)
Overall, the car is pretty good. Range remains to be the short fall of this EV. In summer time, I can get 80+ miles over 1 charge, but at cold winter days, I can only get approx 55 miles out of 1 charge. This means I have to have a gasoline car as back up for longer distance trips. Cooling remain to be poor for the back seats. I have to turn off some of the vents in front to force the cool air to the back seat vents. Car come with ride-flat tires and cost more to repair for punctures. At the end of lease, I have only 28,000 miles and Mercedes said the tires are already worn out of minimum thread depth (1/4") and I need to replace them prior to return. Mercedes also required a yearly maint. for lease vehicles and the cost of that for a EV is $1,000 each year, Pricy. Not sure if it is the tire or the car, but this combination perform poorly on snow.

Front seat is comfortable. Rear seat (I don't have a lot of chance to seat at the back) is good, according to the opinions of my passengers. Front seat AC is very good, back is poor. Cargo room is small but the rear seats do fold down, that gives some decent room to carry medium stuff. Acceleration is good. Tire traction is poor. Flooring the accelerator cause front tire to slip a little even on dry roads. Both interior and exterior fit and finish is good. Seat cushions are nice and firm.

All in all, I like EVs. Don't have to scout for low gasoline prices, don't have to worry about radiator or engine Oil, zero emission. The Merceds B-class is comfortable and nice. Range and price is the short fall for this car. I would definitely buy or lease another EV, just with want to wait for the next gen where they have longer range and lower prices.